Got An Aw Match Sunday At School.

dimeisgod

hey,

This kid offered me an AW match at school, and all his friends and stuff made it kinda of a big thing.

he weighs maybe 10-20 pounds more than me and has been lifting weights for a way longer time than me.

He has a weak handshake and pretty small hands but his upper body is probably stronger than me.

how should i set up at the table? will it be better for me to arrange it so we sit down or stand up? should i hook or toproll?

any tips will be really helpful.

thanks a lot,

Jonathan

I don't know much, but I'm guessing you should TOPROLL for sure if he has weak hands. If he's upper body is very strong maybe he has a strong hook... but sometimes big, strong fellas lack the wrist and/or finger strength I think, so maybe that's what you need to attack.

However, I hope some of the real pullers on this board replies, because what I just said may be completely untrue! :D

i would alse think to top roll and try to take his hand. I also would use back pressure on him to stretch him out and he not knowing anything about AW is probably thinking he will just grab your hand and out power you to the side. If i was you i'd grip as high as poss and try to turn his hand on the go

I loved your grandpa story !! So with that in mind, I'll bet that your grandpa has A/Wed lots of somewhat bigger guys with strong upper bodies but weak hands.

I'm sure he could show you exactly what to do vs this guy.

Win .. neilkaz ..

ok, thanks. i thought i would go with a toproll.. I'll try to hit him as hard as i can as fast as i can.. I'll to arrange it so we will stand so i can use more technique, while he will go for sidepressure only..

i wont have time to talk with my grandpa, its tomorrow. I'm glad you liked the story.

Jonthan

Just remember, AW is less about side-to-side with your ARM ONLY and more about pulling toward your opposite shoulder, LOCKING YOUR ARM and BENDING SIDEWAYS AT THE WAIST. When your arm is locked, your body should move as ONE UNIT. The hand that holds the peg or table is used to push against when you pull back to open up their arm and then used to pull, when you are going sideways to the pad. Think of doing PEC DECK or DUMBELL FLYS at the finish.

GOOD LUCK! :rock

Good Luck tomorrow!!!!

:D

well.. today was the "big day".

he arrived with his friends to my class at the break, kinda smiling and looking confident..

we sat down and one of his friends called to start the match. he started a bit early so i had to kinda catch him, he was using only sidepressure as anticipated. i rolled his wrist and pulled to my other shoulder. and it was not as hard as i thought to get him towards the pad (in our case a desk..).

now comes the part I'm not proud of...

when i got his hand about 2 inches from the desk his elbow made this extremely loud horrible sounding "kapop!" and he immediately stood up, half amazed by the fact that he was losing and half trying to not show that he was in pain..

after that he started with excuses:"you cheated!" (although he was the one who false started, and had no complaint coming from me) "i slipped", "your not supposed to move your wrist" etc.

after that some other kids who beat me in AW a couple months ago also wanted a match, i was in a bit of pain in the elbow from the last match but i beat them to..

thanks a lot guys for all the support, tips on training and technique! it works!

Jonathan :)

Edited by PanterA_jonathan

Well done !! What do you experienced A/Wer's think popped in that kids elbow and how serious does that sound ?

.. neilkaz ..

:D

well.. today was the "big day".

he arrived with his friends to my class at the break, kinda smiling and looking confident..

we sat down and one of his friends called to start the match. he started a bit early so i had to kinda catch him, he was using only sidepressure as anticipated. i rolled his wrist and pulled to my other shoulder. and it was not as hard as i thought to get him towards the pad (in our case a desk..).

now comes the part I'm not proud of...

when i got his hand about 2 inches from the desk his elbow made this extremely loud horrible sounding "kapop!" and he immediately stood up, half amazed by the fact that he was losing and half trying to not show that he was in pain..

after that he started with excuses:"you cheated!" (although he was the one who false started, and had no complaint coming from me) "i slipped", "your not supposed to move your wrist" etc.

after that some other kids who beat me in AW a couple months ago also wanted a match, i was in a bit of pain in the elbow from the last match but i beat them to..

thanks a lot guys for all the support, tips on training and technique! it works!

Jonathan :)

Nice work!

Was there anything under your elbows, to serve as padding? The POP could have been the tendon crossing under his elbow or maybe just synovial fluid moving around (like nuckles cracking).

that kid came to school today with a cast on his whole arm.. from the fingers to the shoulder. he told me i broke his elbow in two places, that his bones separated or something like that.

Jonathan

OMG!

You don't know your own Strength! ;)

Not to steal your thread, but that reminds me of something that happened to me (or to a guy I pulled) maybe half a year ago. This kid (16 yrs old or so) had started coming up to the auto parts store where I worked and was hanging around learning about sound systems and stuff from myself and my coworker. We're 21-22. Well, we armwrestled the kid some here and there and of course we beat him pretty good, but we didn't trash him or try to make a fool of him or anything like that, it was harmless. Well anyways, this kid's dad is one of those guys who I guess likes to prove he's a big man by armwrestling "young guys in their peak" and such. Now, bear in mind that all along while this kid was hanging with us he told us all these outlandish stories about his dad crushing guys three time his size in armwrestling and etc etc, and how his grandfather was the baddest dude ever and all that sort of stuff. Well, apparently the kid told his dad about us, and he must have put some sort of spin on the story that made us out to be bullies, because the dad, son, AND a friend of the dad show up at the store one afternoon for a showdown.

The dad first pulls my friend. The dad starts with his arm already cocked a little and does indeed crush my friend. After he pinned my friend he gets all fired up and repeatedly slams my friend's hand into the counter, as if to try to break his knuckles. This didn't sit well with me. Even though I am a novice armwrestler, and would say I have a decent bit less lean body mass than the dad, I was determined to toproll the mess out of this guy. So, we set up right handed. On the go I peeled out on the end of his hand, turned a little to the side and gave it all I had. We slipped. We set up right handed again. Same thing happened. I get him pretty close to where the pin pad would be and he asks to stop the match before he gets pinned. Immediately he wants a rematch, left handed. Pretty much same scenario left handed occurs.

I was fairly pleased with the result, with the right handed match being called off while I was winning, but I didn't suspect that he had hurt himself or anything like that.

I was told in the following days that he went to the doctor. Had a broken finger. Had his arm all wrapped up at work, couldn't hardly use the arm.

I felt bad for the guy, but the way he dogged my friend, I couldn't feel too bad for him.

After saying all that, it wasn't your fault that the guy's elbow broke, and it wasn't my fault that this guy's arm got messed up. I don't take pride in his arm getting messed up, and I'm sure you don't either, but it certainly makes for an interresting story.

Edited by QuietSet

that kid came to school today with a cast on his whole arm.. from the fingers to the shoulder. he told me i broke his elbow in two places, that his bones separated or something like that.

Jonathan

That's to bad. But try not to let it bother you. Over 25 years of armwrestling has taught me that it is very, very, very rare that one man causes the injury of another. They almost always cause their own injury from not being in a safe position.

Keep training

Bob Brown -

They almost always cause their own injury from not being in a safe position.

Do you have any information on which specific positions result in injuries for novice armwrestlers? I just want to know so I can avoid injuring myself, like the guy who armwrestled at school, when I armwrestle against others. Thanks.