More pics

Bill Piche

Ok, Mikael we'll clean each rep, because Kalle was struggling with the clean part of it, and get them to arms length anyhow he wants.

Next year, it's waiting for him.

David

Guest Mikael Siversson

I have not spoken to Kalle about it, only Arne. Scott, no one doubts that David is very strong. However, if Kalle wanted to, it would be easy for him to find events, particularly in the strongman area, where he would kick David's ###. If he did, however, he would not go online telling everyone about it.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Just because someone gives results of a contest , don't mine they are bragging. If someone other than David would have made the same post, No body would have said anything. But since David won  , he's bragging ? Not to say that there are not a few people who tend to blow their own horn a bit. But hey, everybody feels good when they get a PR !

Guest Mikael Siversson

Harlan,

this was NOT a formal contest. David showed some of his equipment and others had a go at it. My original respons was not aimed at David but at Scott. It would have been more polite to Kalle to ask David the question in private.

My last say on this is that I don't think I could have been more friendly or welcoming to the 3 swedish visitors. I mean I put them up in my house, in fact Jason's room.

As for strongman events, of course Kalle would beat me in many, but in the past possibly not all as I used to have a good back at one time and was quite good at stone lifting. Anyway, that is in the past, and right now Kalle is the stone champ with his excellent lift. One final thing, on that sunday I let and wanted the guys to do what they wanted with any of the training aparatus that I had. I think I mentioned the grinding wheels as an attempt for Kalle to show off his pressing strength. Personally I hadn't done any training with the wheels for a long time, a very long time.

Well I'm all cool now. Less questions for me please. I think I'll just read the posts for a while.

David

Guest Mikael Siversson

David, you have one problem. You are too sensitive. No one of the three Swedes that stayed with you have made any complaints about your hospitality that I am aware of. Secondly, I was not accusing you of anything. As you said, you answered Scott's (in my view silly) question. The only one I have talked to about the comp was Arne who mentioned that different, and not directly comparable, styles were used by you and Kalle for pressing that wheel. Not really much to get upset about. Finally, and once again, my remarks were aimed at Scott and Scott only.

Guest 115-1005574997

well i think we can see you answers were aimed at my silly question but still the way you wrote the answer MAY have been construed as criticism

oh thats just my opinion.... directed towards Mikael

Guest 77-1005097254

I was also there and tried the 50kg grinding wheel, and on my second or third attempt managed to push press it above my head and hold it there locked out. But that was my limit.

It was not mentioned, to my knowledge that it was a comp to see who could do most reps. Kalle just picked it up and casually pressed it to arms length above his head. David's were kind of rapid fire half reps. But very impressive!!

I think if Kalle had wanted to, he could have done many reps.

I also think if Kalle did have trouble with the "clean" part of the lift like myself, it was not because of the weight being to heavy due to lack of strength, but awkwardness of it being a different and new implement like a lot of the events and stuff at the grip competition.

Michael.

Some people knowing that they can't beat David at grip feats are trying to find some other feat of strength in which they  can outdo him. That is not going to be easy as he is far more than just a strong grip! Anyone ready to take on Chris James ?

No sensitive responses are allowed for this post.

Hopefully we’ll see Chris in next years Britains strongest man contest.  In this years event contestants where required to deadlift and hold a small van for time.  Straps where not allowed and it was a great event for those with a strong grip.  I would have loved to see Chris compete in that one.  

We’ve been practising this recently with a similar weight, and to be honest it’s my lower back and obliques that give out before my grip does.  With Chris’ combination of huge lower back strength and awesome supporting grip, I bet he’d be there all day.

Guest 115-1005574997

oldguy

ive told jim to drop the tricep kickbacks and cable cross overs for some proper ab work!  :p

seriously though the 'HOLD' is fantastic at finding you weak spots.  Jims lower back and obliques (hes doing SLD'L, good mornings/ back extensions but could do with some 'H' bar sidebends) are the natural weak link.  Mine and Daves are our traps and upper back (shruging and more chins).

you should give them a ride.  try 1.25% b/w in each hand

No I’ve never tried that exercise.  I was doing heavy side bends a while ago and keep meaning to reintroduce them as a regular part of training.  I’m not flexible enough to pick up an ez bar in the suitcase style without leg bend though :(.  Am I understanding this right :blush?

Thanks

Jim

It's is like a super sidebend. I am not very flexible never have been. I just minimize leg involvement as far as possible to put the load on the lower back and obliques. I start with a 45 on each side of the curl bar, and do 10 reps each side. I add another 2x45 and do 6 to 8 reps. I then keep adding weight, and do singles until failure. Stifflegged deadlifts are fine but not as hard on the obliques. I am thinking of making the center of the bar thicker say 2 3/8'', and starting over with lighter weights. This would be more for grip though.