Aftershock's (new) Training Log.

Aftershock

I had an old training log that I hadn't posted in since around May of 07, which, I presume, to be burried in the old logs of the past. So, I started a new one and I hope to use this as motivation to work harder than I have been. I just have one problem. I have a broken scaphoid in my left hand which will require surgery. So, this means nothing I do can involve my left hand doing anything to aggrivate it. But I have good news, I just saved a bunch of money by... nah just kidding, really I joined the Marine Corps :rock:D . So ya, that will fun. Anyway, I plan on posting my workouts for tomarrow in here. All I have to do now is just train and reach my goals.

My current standings:

9 TNS #2 reps. RH

Lift 45lbs hex with small amount of difficulty. RH

Sweep #3 to width of my pinky, which is past // RH

1X20 3 1/2 lbs axe front levers RH

1X3 10lbs sledge lever to nose RH

1x30 3 1/2 lbs axe rear levers RH

1x22 40lbs concentration curls RH

1x11 75lbs wrist curls RH

1x1 70lbs curl (elbow braced on hip) RH

Notice all are with right hand only. My break in my left hand is making me lopsided. My right arm is 15 3/4 inches around my bicep, compared to my 14 3/4 inches left arm around bicep.

Well, I did mostly grippers today, but I also did a decent wrist and bicep workout. I felt really strong on grippers which led me to do attempts on the #3. All workouts are with RH due to a broken LH.

Grippers:

2x10 #2 // reps

10x1 #2 TNS

1x9 #3 TNS sweeps to //

1x10 #2 wider than // reps

3x1 #3 attempts from // (SO CLOSE ON LAST ONE :rock )

Some #2 // warm-up closes

Wrist:

1x5 front lever with 3.5lbs axe

1x20 front lever with 3.5lbs axe

1x10 rear lever with 3.5lbs axe

1x20 rear lever with 3.5lbs axe

1x30 rear lever with 3.5lbs axe

1x30 40lbs wrist curl

Bicep:

2x15 40lbs concentration curls

1x20 40lbs concentration curls

My grip felt strong today and , as mentioned above, I went for the #3 // close. The first time I tried it I got it to where I usually get it, About 1/8 inch away, which is a pretty noticeable gap. The second one was closer, but not too close. Then, I warmed up my hand by putting it in front of my fire place and tried it once more. That third attempt was SO SO close. I even thought I had it for a second. It was just a hair's width away. I was really happy and really mad at the same time; Happy about how close I was and mad that I was that close and not able to close it. But now my confidence has risen to a whole new level. I can just feel that cert coming soon! :D I think I'll close the #3 within two weeks, three at the most. I'm extremely pumped about this. I want to get the close on film so I can show you guys. :cool

I took sort of a rest day today. I'm hopeing to close the #3 by the end of the week, so I figured a rest day or two should help me heal up and be fresh when I attempt it again. But today, I took some advice from my friend which was to hold the 3 closed. Well, I did, and it was pretty strong for the first 5 seconds, but then it got hard and I don't know if it opened or not after 5 sec. I went to ten seconds, but I don't know. So I'll leave it at a 5 Second hold.

Grippers:

Various #2 closes throught the school day.

1x1 #3 hold for about 5 seconds

3x1 #3 attempts to hold closed

1x1 #3 attempt from //

some #3 sweeps to //

That's about all I did today. But I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the #3 // set close. Also, what sorts of things can I do to rig a thick bar onto my dumbbell? I want to do some thickbar work, such as curls and wrist curls, because I figured it would help a lot with my armwrestling training. I have an Idea to just put a peice of PVC or Steel pipe onto my handle. I have an adjestable dumbbell, so I figured that would work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Took another rest day today because I intend on closeing the #3 tomarrow. I figured if I'm going to do that I should be fresh and as healed up as possible. I just kept my hand warmed up today by no setting my #2 here and there. I'm confident that I can close it, but there is still that lingering fear of failing. Let's just see what happens tomarrow.

Edited by Aftershock

I CLOSED THE #3 TONIGHT!!!! FINALLY!

I FINALLY CLOSED IT! :rock:rock:rock After 2 1/2 years it's finally mine! I am SO pumped right now, I can't even believe it, so I'm going to try it again later. BUT STILL! I closed it! All I have to do now is train that CCS.

Well, I took the day off to go up to Oklahoma. So really I didn't do much of anything except for some #2 closes here and there. But about friday night, I was able to close the #3 again infront of a lot of my friends. I'm going to try to get my friend to film the close here later today, being that its 1:45 in the morning here. So I'll see what I can do.

Thanks guys. I think I will go for the MM0 cert here pretty soon. Just don't know when.

Well, I've been sick the past couple days, so I haven't posted anything for a while.

Monday:

Grippers:

5x10 #2 // reps RH

3x1 #3 sweeps to // RH

3x10sec holds on #2 RH

Arm:

1x20 front-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x15 front-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x10 front-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x25 rear-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x20 rear-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x15 rear-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x10 rear-levers with 3.5lbs axe

1x23 concentration curls 40lbs (new record)

3x10 concentration curls 40lbs

1x9 one-arm pushups (legs spread) Did as an experiment to see if they work.

1x1 40lbs crucifix hold for 3 seconds I wasn't able to do this for the longest time.

Man, I got sick this week. I threw up EVERYTHING I ate on monday. Then I stayed in bed all day. But I feel better now, So I'll start posting everyday. I find it funny how I hit two new records the day before I got sick. :blink

I tried the #3 again last night but was unsuccesful, :( . It's alright though because I was kinda tired and I didn't feel like I was fresh and able to perform at my max. I took this day to strengthen up my grip so that I can take a break from it and close the #3 again. Possibly on Friday, maybe sooner.

Grippers:

1x1 #2 inverted no-set RH

35X1 #2 no-set RH

2x3 #2 no-set reps RH

3x5 #2 // reps RH

1x18 #2 // reps RH

1x2 10 sec hold #2 RH

Arm:

4x15 40lbs concentration curls RH

1x10 40lbs concentration curls RH

(total of 70 reps)

1x10 30lbs concentration curls LH (My left hand is broken. I used a brace to do it.)

Wrist:

1x40 40lbs wrist curls RH up from 33

I decided to try out my left arm after WEEKS of not training it. I used a brace and and curled 30lbs for 10 reps, which was my max, apparently. It's soul crushing to watch my left arm slowly disintegrate. I think I'm going to start a very light workout program to keep my left arm in shape. I took a look in the mirror and compared my arms... and my right looks 20% bigger than my left. It's ok though, I have the rest of my life to get them even again :happy . Also, I went for my max // reps on the #2 and only got 18. I think it's because I did all those no-sets before I tried. I'm pretty sure, if I was fresh, I could hit 20-22 reps. I'll just wait and see.

Hey, to anyone who may read this, If you have any advice or information on doing a MM0 cert. I would really appreciate it. I'm going to get it on tape ASAP, most likely this week. Thanks. I'll post workout tonight.

Well, I started working out but just didn't feel up to it. I don't know, maybe I just needed to take a rest after the work I did last weekend. But I did do pull-ups after a month and a half of not doing them.

Arm:

1x10 pull-ups

1x25 pull-ups

Grippers:

1x1 20sec #2 hold

1x2 10sec #2 hold

1x5 #2 // reps

1x10 #2 // reps

I decided to try pull-ups again. I haven't done any since I broke my hand, which was about a month and a half ago. I was surprised that I could still do 25. My old max was 33. I didn't try for my max attempt, I just wen to 25, but they were still tough.

My gripper work was done throughout the day.

Grippers:

2X1 #3 // set attempts.

3X1 10sec #2 holds.

1X1 20sec #2 hold.

2X3 #2 no-set reps

Arm:

1X25 40lbs concentration curls (new record)

1X20 40lbs one-arm over-head presses

Well, I decided to try the #3 again tonight, but I didn't feel like I could close it. But I tried anyway. I got close on the first, about a 10th of an an inch, and the second one was closer, at about a 16th of an inch. I also hit a new curl record, as mentioned above :rock . I want to get a 75lbs weight to use instead of my old 40lbs one.

I went to a Marine pool function today. I did various stretches and things like that. Then, I went for a two mile run. We did these pushup things and I had to do them with one hand because of my broken left hand. I did use my left hand for support, but it was minimal.

Grippers:

2X1 20sec #2 holds

2X1 10sec #2 holds

various TNS #2 closes.

Arm:

The pushups

1X1 35lbs crucifix hold for 5 seconds

Thats All I did today. I may try the #3 after this post, but thats about it.

Today, I trained arm wrestling with a bunch of my friends. I'm much stronger than all but 1 of them, who is my main training partner, so it's not too hard to train with them, but it's still a lot of fun. I started getting some pain in my elbow. It felt a lot like tendinitis.

Grippers:

just messed around with a #2. Parallel and TNS's here and there

Tomarrow, I'm going to train on the #3. I think I'll start with some #2 warm-up's and then do some attempts on the #3.

Great log. I hope that elbow pain is not permanent. I've had tendonitis in my right elbow also for almost a year; it was a real pain in the butt. Luckily, I don't have the pain anymore.

Today, I did a wrist and hand work. I wanted to do some one-arm lockoffs and curls but my tendonitis wouldn't alow it.

Grippers:

20X1 #2 // closes

10X1 #2 TNS closes

1X1 attempt on #3

5X1 #3 sweeps to //

1X2 #3 sweeps to //

Wrist/Forearm:

1X25 3.5lbs axe front levers

1X15 3.5lbs axe front levers

1X43 3.5lbs axe rear levers

1X35 3.5lbs axe rear levers

1X46 40lbs wrist curls up form 40

1X35 40lbs wrist curls

Ran 1/2 mile

I wanted to do some work on the #3 today, but my hand didn't feel up to it. It's kind of a disapointment. So, instead I did wrist and forearm work. My tendonitis still lingers in my elbow and it is restricting my arm workouts. I guess I'll follow the RICE routine (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).

I did a lot of hand stuff today. It's funny because of how sore my forearm is from yesterdays armwrestling practice.

Grippers:

5X1 #2 no sets

2X1 #3 attempts in hose clamp.

Thumb:

My friend and I loaded a binder full of bent nails until it was decently heavy. We pinched it and walked around a town block, switching hands along the way.

Pinky:

I did some pinky rotations in a bucket of sand. 1X200 clock-wise and 1X200 counter-clock-wise.

I did some bar hanging goose necks.

1X15

2X20

I still have tendonitis. It really sucks because it detracts form my abilities including grip. Either way, I still got my forearm much more sore now than it was. I have good news though. My left hand feels much better. It is still broken and awaiting surgery, but I think it's beginning to heal on its own.

Well, my friend pounded it into my head that I was slacking off. So, I did a good workout today.

Grippers:

30X1 #2 // closes RH

10X1 #2 no-sets RH

5X1 #3 closes choked to // RH

Arm:

3X15 front-levers with 3.5lbs axe RH

3X20 rear-levers with 3.5lbs axe RH

1X40 40lbs wrist curls RH

1X20 40lbs over-head presses RH

1X10 40lbs hammer-style concentration curls with a 5 second hold at 90 degrees between reps (10 second hold on last rep)

1X5 of the curls described above

1X15 40lbs concentration curls

Tomorrow I plan to go run an IST (initial strength test) with my Marine recruiter. I will have to do a timed 1.5 mile run, max set of pull-ups, and a timed crunches test.

I decided to choke my #3 to // and give it a go. I closed it my first try, then I did it 4 more times after that. It was tough, but I can tell that the choker makes a difference. I figure I'll use this technique to build up the strength to become more consistent with my #3 closes.

I did my IST today.

1.5 mile run:

11:24

My time decreased by 30 sec! I'm getting faster. Down from 11:54.

Crunches:

116 in 2 minutes

That's up from 89.

Pullups:

They wouldn't allow me to do pull ups becasuse of my hurt wrist.

Grip:

3X20sec #2 holds

4X1 #3 closes choked to //

5X1 #2 no-sets

Arm:

1X10 40lbs concentration style hammer curls with 5 sec hold between reps at 90 degrees RH

1X30 40lbs curls in armwrestling motion RH

1X20 40lbs concentration curls RH

1X7 40lbs concentration curls LH

1X10 40lbs concentration curls LH

Wrist/Forearm:

1X60 40lbs wrist curls RH

1X50 40lbs wrist curls RH

1X20 front levers with 3.5lbs axe

1X40 rear levers with 3.5lbs axe

Abs:

2X100 crunches

Leg:

1X60 standing squats

I trained my left arm today. It's beginning to feel much better. So, either it's healing or the bone is dead. I'm hoping it's healing. I hit a new record with wrist curls. I got 60 on one set then got 50 and a second set. That's up form 46.

Well, I hurt my arm a couple of days ago. I was armwrestling my friend in a hook. He brought me over and I pulled it back and went to pin him. However, I couldn't because there was a loud poping sound in my elbow region. I'm not quite sure what it is that is injured, but it is starting to feel a little better. So, I'm going to take a rest week or two to make sure that it heals without a hitch. I'll post on progresses with my healing process.

• 1 month later...

Man, getting injured from armwrestling really can bring things to a screaching halt. I had my first training/armwrestling session last night. To my and my friends surprise I really didn't lose any strength. It still hurts a little to try and pin someone decently strong, however. I was thinking about really hitting the training hard from now on to try and get back to normal and then some. I hope to make it to nationals for armwrestling in Florida, but I still have to wait to see if my arm will comply.

Maybe just from training my arm may heal quicker. I can still tear phone books, close the #3 from parallel and lever out sledges etc, so thats good. Also, when I started out with my weight loss campaign, I was at 196lbs. But now, I'm at 184. I hope that i can get back to 176 by June so I can pull in my previous weight class.