Basic Grip Routine

ashley willcox

hi all how does this look for a basic routine for improving grip. 1-4 are from the beginners routine. the plates ive got are standard york ones with weights of 1.1kg, 2.3 kgs, 5 kgs and 10 kgs for those of you in the uk the 5 and 10 kg plates are from argos and have a slight lip will these still be ok to use for the pinches.

1. Two Handed Pinch Lift for holds,. 3 sets of 5 reps holding for 15 seconds

2. Finger curls with overhand grip. 3 sets of 15 reps

3. Two Hand Wrist Curl. 3 sets of 15 reps

4. Two Hands Reverse Wrist Curl. 3 sets of 15 reps

5. barbell static hold aiming for 20 second reps for 4 sets of 4 reps(if the time is higher than 30 seconds I will increase the weight)

6. plate pinch hold 3 sets of 5 reps holding for 15 seconds (if the time is higher i will increase weight/number of plates)

7. Captain of Crush gripper (guide)

thanks for any help and advice

the exercises numbered 5 to 7 are exercises that i have added to the beginners routine so i would like to know if its ok or too much plus if the plates mentioned in my original post is ok for pinches.

i would really appreciate any help and advice thanks.

im sorry if this is in the wrong section but it looked like the best place for me to post this.

The exercises 5-7 are good. I suspect you do them to aid your grip in powerlifting. The beginners routine is good to gain all around strength in your hands and wrists, that are SO importaint to avoid any injuries. But do the exercises you want aswell, just be careful and pay attention to your body.

As for the rimmed plates. They will work if you have nothing else to train with. But the body is smarter than you think. Little by little without you notecing, you will start to cheat a bit by clinching on to thoose rims. A flat surfice is better for the purpose of consistancy. If you can pinch more weight with a flat surfice than before, it's because you've gotten stronger.

The exercises 5-7 are good. I suspect you do them to aid your grip in powerlifting. The beginners routine is good to gain all around strength in your hands and wrists, that are SO importaint to avoid any injuries. But do the exercises you want aswell, just be careful and pay attention to your body.

As for the rimmed plates. They will work if you have nothing else to train with. But the body is smarter than you think. Little by little without you notecing, you will start to cheat a bit by clinching on to thoose rims. A flat surfice is better for the purpose of consistancy. If you can pinch more weight with a flat surfice than before, it's because you've gotten stronger.

thanks im going to do 5-7 to improve my grip so that i can go heavier for deadlifts and barbell shrugs as my overall routine is more of a bodybuilders routine. ive listed the guide as that is the onlyone that i can currently close from my coc grippers the ones i have got are guide,sport,trainer,1 and 2

Oh you're a girl. Didn't notice that first :blush

Still doesn't change anything on how you should train. But as handsize do play a big part in grippers and women typicly have smaller hands, do you set your grippers?

Still doesn't change anything on how you should train. But as handsize do play a big part in grippers and women typicly have smaller hands, do you set your grippers?

im male lol

im male lol

Haha I'm stupid. Got confused over the name. That happens alot, me getting confused that is

Hi. How far are you from closing the Sport?

about one cm with my righthand and about an inch with my left hand. that is without setting it

Edited by ashley willcox

im male lol

Haha I'm stupid. Got confused over the name. That happens alot, me getting confused that is

thats ok i know that the name "ashley" is more common for a girl lol

about one cm with my righthand and about an inch with my left hand. that is without setting it

As for setting, make sure it is comfortably in your hand by using the other hand to help position it so your fingers are comfortably around the handle. As you progress, you can learn to better set, IMHO.

In a few months, the Guide will seem like a child's gripper to you and you'll be shutting the Trainer and working you way towards the #1 and more.

.. neilkaz ..

As for setting, make sure it is comfortably in your hand by using the other hand to help position it so your fingers are comfortably around the handle. As you progress, you can learn to better set, IMHO.

In a few months, the Guide will seem like a child's gripper to you and you'll be shutting the Trainer and working you way towards the #1 and more.

.. neilkaz ..

thanks

You'll find no better vids on the net about setting a gripper than this one made by the Gripboards own John Eaton :rock :rock :rock

I assume your friends call you Ash then? I knew a Marion in High School, also a guy :) I knew an Anya Woody as well, no joke :( She had cruel parents.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

You'll find no better vids on the net about setting a gripper than this one made by the Gripboards own John Eaton :rock :rock :rock

I assume your friends call you Ash then? I knew a Marion in High School, also a guy :) I knew an Anya Woody as well, no joke :( She had cruel parents.

yeah my friends call me ash, thanks for the vid