It's no fair!

Guest Euclid

Rick, I was reading in a MILO article about Hugh Cassidy using less than perfect posture on his squats.  Using alot of back to get the weight up and maybe allowing it to round a little.  I've never seen Hugh on film so maybe someone could shed some light on his style.  When I squat, I can ALWAYS seem to crank out an extra rep in this style, but it is almost like a good morning.  I go VERY deep, too.  I'm using around 300 for 15 right now.  Do you see a problem with squatting in this style?  My back has been feeling great, but I fear once I get in the 350 and 400's I might be risking injury.  I know the 300 for 15 isn't much, but hey, I'm only 5'11  180#.

If you train your body to handle poundages-you will be okay.  Where people run into problems is when they try to do a GM with 400 right off the bat.  The body isnt meant to be in the bowed back position-one of my good friends who is in incredible shape pulled a muscle in his back reaching across the kitchen table and picking up a gallon of milk!!  he doesnt train bowed back type lifts-thinks they are dangerous.  Go figure.

Train it, starting slow, and you should be fine.  Rush into it and try to hammer a full keg with a bowed back, you will be in bed for a few weeks-

Rick Walker :hehe

When I squat, I can ALWAYS seem to crank out an extra rep in this style, but it is almost like a good morning.  I go VERY deep, too.  I'm using around 300 for 15 right now

This is just my opinion Euclid, but anytime you even get into a position to risk somthing like a back injury using heavy weights I would steer as clear as possible from it. In my opinion if you have to turn the squat into a good morning to pull off an extra rep I think you'd be better off letting that rep go. Either take a pound or two off the bar so you can get the 15th one with good form, besides it's called a Squat and not a good morning for a reason. If you are still making progress each workout it wont be long before you are past 300 for 15 anyhow, and cheating that last rep wont even be an issue. But if you do hurt your back not only will it set you back quite a few workouts and weight, but in a worse case scenario you may never be doing any squats again - or even have pain free use of your back. You have to ask yourself if it is worth it to cheat out that last rep. In my opinion I'd say #### no. Just my two cents take it for what it's worth.