What evidence will u need for the #4?

Guest scott essery

Guest 115-1005574997

what with heath, the welshman and a mystery crusher from the uk all close to closing a 4 it makes you wonder what will be required of this person following closure.  

will a simple photoghraph and closing in front of a CoC be enough?

After all kinney just closed it in front of his wife didn't he?  

I'm sure there are some people on the board who will demand dimensions, closing torque, weight, depth of knurling etc.  

What will be enough to prove closure to the doubters?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• mobsterone

• Roark

• Sybersnott

Where Randall leads others will follow (he he).

I would presume the same as before but I'd like to make sure that theres no doubt by doing what Joe did and having a short video made with a coin for spring size etc.

After making Randall a happy man I would then tell all here (ta ra!!) the size, handle width blah blah.

Thats what I'd do.

Strossen needs to witness it this time!  Pictures need to be taken right then and there with Randy there witnessing it.

With a few other notables as well.  The AOBS dinner would be a fine spot for certification.

The gripper needs "saved" so it's not stolen by the neighbor's dog.

No wives, girlfriends, best friends, etc. I was surprised that even happend with Kinney.  

It needs to be done right this time.

A video isn't going to cut it this time.  A wife isn't going to cut it this time.  I'll cry bullshit in two seconds if it doesn't happen right this time.  You know why?  Because if someone on here does it, they KNOW the issues about Kinney and his cerfitification. And, if they didn't do it right I would suspect something was amiss BECAUSE of this fact.

Guest 115-1005574997

strong sentiments Bill and i can see where your coming from and it is YOUR opinion (as was asked in the thread) but i have a big BUT.

"A video isn't going to cut it this time.  A wife isn't going to cut it this time.  I'll cry bullshit in two seconds if it doesn't happen right this time.  You know why?  Because if someone on here does it, they KNOW the issues about Kinney and his certification. And, if they didn't do it right I would suspect something was amiss BECAUSE of this fact."

so a bloke who's got to fork out $500 air fare to fly to America to see Randle then spend another few hundred $ staying in the states, booking time off work, sorting family commitments and then paraded in front of selected cliental to receive little if any financial support and his pic in Milo.

How practical is that?

By your actions wont this guarantee the #4 remains an enigma, closed by an enigma and the honour of the #4 stays with USA?

I think that as long as the gripper is closed under the conditions that Randy has specified and all criteria he sets out have been met, then that’ll do.  Randy is the one handing out the certifications so I suppose it’s down to him to set the rules Scott.  

Anybody who doesn’t live in North America could have a little trouble getting certified if the gripper did have to be closed in front of Randy though :(.

Guest Mikael Siversson

If David or someone else closes a #4 at a grip competition, when judged by a neutral, and certified, person (i.e., not close friend, wife, girlfriend etc.), I believe few if any would doubt the feat.

Higher standards will be required for whoever is

second to close the 4. Higher than for the first

person who closed it.

Of that, there is no doubt.

And, I resent being left off the list of those who are

closing in on the 4. ;)

Guest Mikael Siversson

I agree with Roark. At a competition there will be a number of CoC's present or at least people able to close tough grippers and thus also able to validate that the #4 has not been tampered with in any way. This gives far greater credibilty than having a friend confirming a closing. Having said that, I would personally not doubt any of the UK guys confirming a successful attempt by David or Nathan.

Scott

You need a witness (agreed by Randy) and for them to sign an affidavit saying you did it and when. He also needs a picture for Milo.

Guest 115-1005574997

Ok then

so if Randel invented the COC grippers and he stipulated the rules that enables ones to become certified (thanks JIm) then all someone needs do (and considering its the #4) two witnesses and a few pics of the gripper and that's that!  Its Randy's gripper, awards etc and those are his rules and that's the end of the story then!!!

Bill what questions were raised with regards to Joes efforts? I haven't read or heard of any probs (BTW I don't get Milo).

Steve

This time the witness has to be TOTALLY independent. No close friends. No friends. No girlfriends. No wives.  The "rah rah" factor has to be completely gone. Even with COC's there, human nature prevails.  INDEPENDENT. This means they don't know you from Adam and have either never met you personally.

Baraban Robert drove awhile to make sure he had the right witness and his cert was only for a 3.

No one said anyone had to travel to the US.

It's not that difficult guys. And, like I said (my opinion), because it's not difficult to be clean on this cert, if it doesn't happen I will be crying foul.

And, I am sure a LOT of others here will be too.

Just a quick thought. The simplest anwer is to email Randall. I did this several times inn regards to the RT and I'd suggest our 'mystery' man does the same. Problem solved although I'm still intrigued, re Joe, Bill.

Why not just contact Ironmind and ask for the requirements for certifying the closing of a #4. They must have given this some thought. No point in playing guessing games about it.

Anyone who is still 3/4'' from closing, may have years to go yet. (ask Baraban Roberts) Many #3 closers could probably get a 4 down to 3/4''. Heath and Nathan are the closest, apart from those who are maybe being secretive about what they can do.

Why not just contact Ironmind and ask for the requirements for certifying the closing of a #4. They must have given this some thought. No point in playing guessing games about it.

You are making the assumption that IronMind will kick up the notch with certification this time for a 4.  Personally, I would go BEYOND what's needed by IronMind if it was me.  

Steve:

The gripper is stolen

It's said his wife was his witness.

No one with any respected authority in the weight game witnessed it. This is likened in my mind to someone running a 9.0 second 100 meters in his backyard and having his wife witness it.

We have a video that shows him treating a 4 like a toy.  Grinding it back and forth for seconds.  He's about 10 light years ahead of anyone whose every put their hands on gripper. In actuality, this makes things worse from it being legitimately witnessed.

If it was faked-how in the heck could he fake it on the video.  It clearly is a #4 he is holding in his hand-the video is so cheaply done, I find it hard to believe that he would edit just that part to make it look like a #4.  And why even make a training video?  He certainly didnt profit from it.  Seems like a lot of work for a hoax that only earns respect from the grip community.  

It looks legit to me-but I wasn't aware of the stipulations.  I thought to get certified you had to have someone with some credability witness the feat.  If I knew my wife could witness it-I could be certified on the #3 now.  Of course-I don't think I held it closed long enough to get a pic ???

I agree with Wannagrip-the AOBS dinner seems like the only logical arena for such a feat.  No one could discredit it then!

Rick Walker :hehe

NO ONE said only close it in America.  There are plenty of independent, well respected witnesses in Europe!  

For example, I wouldn't have Heath witness me if I did it. Or Steve. Or even you Scott if it was possible. :)

I talked to Kinney in person.  I remain on the fence only because just talking to him says "he did it." :)

I know there are plenty who won't come right out and say they don't believe it due to trying to be politically correct, etc.  But, they say it offline. ;)

Such language Scott and us with the OHF dinner here in England and people like Dave Webster as witnesses - this, remember, was suffuicent for myself and dave and liz (3, 3, 2).

Interested that the intial witness was the wife but i do feel that it is extremely unlikely the gripper we saw on the video was a fake but also interested that the gripper was stolen. Joe do you have it :p

BTW: with my free hand on top of the gripper I managed a 'to a 1/2" closure after my friday Press, curl and close-grip bench session. This after warming up on the CoC 3 I have by aklowing it to open and shut a little six times (not full range reps but working the closure part). January here I come!!

That's what i call self-effacement Mr Gardener  :p  !

Just kidding...

In fact i think it's rather cool to have two different attitudes here on the board : "flashy mobsterone" and "bearcat the quiet"  :p  :p ! Both on the race towards the #4...I 'm bloody eager to know who's gonna be the first to do it !

Certified Captain of Flush ??  :D