2008 Grip Work

CoC#3

Thanks Mark! How much easier do you think the 71kg gold bell is than the inch? Obviously 7kg but i think the difference is a bit bigger because the shape of this bell makes it easier to lift than the inch. Which is why i suggested that the gold DB + 10kg plate weight added might be good enough.

I haven't tried the inch in a while. I only started including thick bar in my training again 2 weeks ago. I have lifted the Holle's inch i have almost to waist height (with tilt). This was done a while ago, when i was pulling the gold DB + 7.5kg added weight. I have never had the heavygrip tools inch replica past upper shin height it seems a lot harder. It has a 2.5'' handle as opposed to the holle's replica which has 2.38'' like the original inch. By Christmas this year i'd like to be pulling the Holle's inch DB on a regular basis.

The pinch width used today was, as per usual, 65mm. I discussed with you a while ago the possibility of pulling 100kg at this width. I am going to get a chance to try it officially, next weekend at the BHSA award dinner :rock

Edited by CoC#3

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoC#3

• mobsterone

• ewokhugo

• TAT 70

Top Posters In This Topic

Push presses today - 130kgx2 went up easy so i went for the third, think i tore my rotator cuff on the 3rd rep!!! Heard a massive pop in the R shoulder and lost it. Went to the doc he thinks it is most likely a partial tear because i still have some ROM but i am going to have to go and have an MRI scan to be sure! The doc says that if it is a complete tear it's going to need surgery. I have poor ROM it's hard to lift shoulder up past head etc... and pain. :(

Sad news Sam, I had something similar happen early this year, on my first attempt at a spike style bend, a tear and partial tear in the sub. scap. and supra. spin. tendons along with a pec. major tear too! :( Doesn't seem like there's much they can do, has really dropped my strength! :angry: I'm just going to have to accept it and train what's left! :)

Hope you have a happier outcome. :)

Thats too bad Sam.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Heal up soon man.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Twig and Mike sorry to hear about your injuries aswell really hope both recover from them quickly.

24 hours later, pain is still there but not as severe. Still hurts a lot to put the arm behind back, head, etc... but the ROM seems to be slightly better. I am going to have an MRI scan next week to rule out the possibility of a complete tear, which would not heal without surgery.w

3 days later and some slight improvement. The pain isn't as bad and the ROM has improved a bit more. It doesn't hurt as much to get shirts on as it did - getting dressed was a big pain in the arse, well shoulder to be exact, straight after the injury ;)

I am surprised that there is/was no brusing. Am i right in thinking that with a severe RC tear you would see lots of bruising on the outside from blood rushing to it etc...????

Waiting for next tuesday (takes as long for details to go through to radiology department) so i can book an appointment for an MRI scan. If there is a massive waiting list i will pay to have it done sooner.

Best of luck with the scan mate, I'll finally be down to the south west at xmas so I'll be expecting you to be healed up and kick my arse (although you could probably do that one armed ;) )

Doc recommended an ultrasound scan. Just over 2 weeks to wait for it. In the mean time i am going to see a physio see what can be done / what exercises i can do help shoulder mobility.

Thanks Leon. Hope i can recover from this quickly! How are your grippers coming along bud?

Doc recommended an ultrasound scan. Just over 2 weeks to wait for it. In the mean time i am going to see a physio see what can be done / what exercises i can do help shoulder mobility.

Thanks Leon. Hope i can recover from this quickly! How are your grippers coming along bud?

Yeah, from my experience just doing some physio should really help.

My grip work is going alright atm, but I've been cutting really hard again to make a lower weight category for AW and my grip always takes a nose dive when I do that! I can shut that 240C gripper you gave me without any bracing some days right handed, and the hard 2 is still a few mm away left handed. I'm hoping once I start eating properly again I should see a notable improvement :)

last night,

grippers - couple of #3 closes. shoulder doesn't feel too bad on them.

2 hand pinch -

usual warmups

90.25kgx1

91.5kgx1

92.75kgx1

94kgx1

95.25kgx1

92.75kgx1,1,1

94kgx1

95.25kgx1

90.25kgx1 and nice long hold @ top.

nice volume.

Great that your pinch and crush aren't affected by your shoulder! :rock

Hey Sam, hope you're healing up soon. Nice pinch work!

Thanks guys.

Lots of very light rehab stuff for it, tens machine use etc... and it's feeling a tad better, good enough for squats anyway. Had a hard time getting under the bar on the warmups because the shoulder flexibility is still poor.

SQUATS (arse to grass)

usual light warmups,

160kgx3

add belt

180kgx3

add knee wraps

180kgx3

180kgx5

wraps/belt off

140kgx3,3 dead stop on pins just below parallel (pause squats)

140kgx3 as above but just above parallel

high box squats 140kgx7 180kgx6

like the paused stuff. hip flexors feel nicely worked.

Edited by CoC#3

easing back into it, slowly. Nov 20th for the scan. They didn't keep me waiting too long then!

today i did some deadlifts,

100kgx5

140kgx5

180kgx5

220kgx1

240kgx1

at this point some schoolkids came over and talked to me about lifting etc.. they were on a school visit to the gym. Spoke to them for a while about the different powerlifts and a little bit about motivation and how lifting is good for getting rid of aggression and so on. Good to see a few of them interested in training it would be good to see more kids get into it at a young age.

Anyway they asked to see a heavier lift so i did a 260kg deadlift for 'em. Slower than i would have liked off the floor but it was still a nice clean lift.

180kgx8

220kgx3

also did some light back, and arm work. Supersets, high reps etc... nothing heavy so to not stress the rotator cuff.

Worth mentioning aswell that i hit a PR euro pinch at 65mm on Saturday. I did 97.75kg then 3 singles with 96.5kg. being pissed off that i couldn't make the award dinner helped the aggression was there!!! :)

Edited by CoC#3

Well done!

And congrats for the new PR! :rock

Soon you'll get the 100!

Yeah the 100kg pinch should happen before xmas. Got to hit it this year.

I think if i can keep injuries at bay i could get the 300kg deadlift by next summer.

Thanks for your support here guys :rock

grippers

L and R 4 sets of 5 reps with the #3.

2hand pinch 65mm

warmups

86.5kgx1

91.5kgx1

94kgx1

95.25kgx1

95.25kgx1 (felt harder than it should.)

with towel

86.5kgx1

90.25kgx1,1,1

(the towel lifts are all PRs)

GOLD DB (71kg 60mm handle)

8 lifts R 8 lifts L. left handed pulls seemed easier. Also did a nice long hold with it for 10secs.

Shoulder felt ok throughout the session, lower back felt stiff/sore from the start.

Tried to pull my 25kg legacy blob but no go it feels like someone has coated it in vaseline! Or it could just be the cold damp weather.

SQUATS

arse to grass rep day,

warmups

180kgx8 with belt and knee wraps

FRONT SQUATS

100kgx3

140kgx3

leg curl / calf work

grippers - 5 sets of 6 #3 each hand.