#4 Closers

Bob Lipinski

In the Ronnie Coleman topic, someone mentioned that there have been almost 20 #4 closers.

As far as people that can be verified by what I would consider legitimate sources-

Besides the 4 Ironmind certs,

-Heath Sexton

-Clay Edgin

-Josh Dale

-Big Steve

Maybe Gorilla Hands? That is about all I can think of, and that is 8.

So I checked the thread. The "Maybe" would apply to Vigeant, Gorilla Hands, and Patrick Gansel. I am pretty sure that the four I listed have lots of verification.

Neither of these threads have mentioned Strong Man Benny Wenneberg(sp?). He attempted cert around the same time as Heath, did close his four officially, but was denied because of not closing a new #4 far enough. But he definitely has closed a four.

So I checked the thread. The "Maybe" would apply to Vigeant, Gorilla Hands, and Patrick Gansel. I am pretty sure that the four I listed have lots of verification.

There is no "mabye" about Patrick considering he had a clear video (doing it in a bathroom, no less). Dave Brown said he has and has been witnessed no setting a old silver elite so I would tend to believe him.

Edited by Wes

Big Steve and Josh Dale closed 4's at the BBB2 didn't they? I remember a video of Erives(Gorilla Hands) nearly MMSing an older #2 then holding it all with one finger so that would put him up there.

Big Steve and Josh Dale closed 4's at the BBB2 didn't they? I remember a video of Erives(Gorilla Hands) nearly MMSing an older #2 then holding it all with one finger so that would put him up there.

Yeah they did. Along with Dave Morten if I remember right.

There is no "mabye" about Patrick considering he had a clear video (doing it in a bathroom, no less). Dave Brown said he has and has been witnessed no setting a old silver elite so I would tend to believe him.

I agree on that, Patrick had a good video.

Patrick had a good video and I've heard the Dave Brown stories from multiple HG athletes. I've also heard the Rob V #4 close stories from several on the NE AW board.

In the Ronnie Coleman topic, someone mentioned that there have been almost 20 #4 closers.

As far as people that can be verified by what I would consider legitimate sources-

Besides the 4 Ironmind certs,

-Heath Sexton

-Clay Edgin

-Josh Dale

-Big Steve

Maybe Gorilla Hands? That is about all I can think of, and that is 8.

If it's any consolation I had wondered that too.

Patrick had a good video and I've heard the Dave Brown stories from multiple HG athletes. I've also heard the Rob V #4 close stories from several on the NE AW board.

I had read some armwrestlers say they've seen Rob Vigeant closing a #4 as well. Plus, he did close a BBSE at one of those contests from 2004... I don't think it's hard to believe he did it. And David Erives did it in front of Clay, didn't he??

Honestly, only reason I wrote "maybe" on Patrick is because I haven't heard much from him in any of the other grip things- Mash Monster, other people witnessing, contests, etc. Who knows. Even a clear video can be faked, again no judgement on Patrick.

Accounts from people not in the grip game make me wonder... Not that someone would lie or anything, but everyone has the friend whose uncle benched 800 and deadlifted 1100, right?

The Benny Wenneberg story sounds familiar.

• Like 1

Honestly, only reason I wrote "maybe" on Patrick is because I haven't heard much from him in any of the other grip things- Mash Monster, other people witnessing, contests, etc. Who knows. Even a clear video can be faked, again no judgement on Patrick.

Accounts from people not in the grip game make me wonder... Not that someone would lie or anything, but everyone has the friend whose uncle benched 800 and deadlifted 1100, right?

The Benny Wenneberg story sounds familiar.

You hear that ALL the time :D

But Bob my two favorite uncles are Andy Bolton and Scott Mendelson. Why must you doubt me like that?

I say if a man is reasonably strong for the claimed feat and has good reputation/integrity then taking his word and video is more than enough for any feat. Not everyone can freely travel to compete on a whim to prove their word. As hard as #4 is, it is still not a big deal on a grand scheme of things to many lifters. Most athletes prefer to use their time to focus on other things(powerlifting, strongman, personal life, etc). Although this can be a cop out, it is also very reasonable because to many such athletes closing a #4 gripper simply doesnt hold the same prestige as doing other things nor does it hold a lot of prestige to people outside of grip community.

Edited by menace3000

But Bob my two favorite uncles are Andy Bolton and Scott Mendelson. Why must you doubt me like that?

I say if a man is reasonably strong for the claimed feat and has good reputation/integrity then taking his word and video is more than enough for any feat. Not everyone can freely travel to compete on a whim to prove their word. As hard as #4 is, it is still not a big deal on a grand scheme of things to many lifters. Most athletes prefer to use their time to focus on other things(powerlifting, strongman, personal life, etc). Although this can be a cop out, it is also very reasonable because to many such athletes closing a #4 gripper simply doesnt hold the same prestige as doing other things nor does it hold a lot of prestige to people outside of grip community.

Well if you don't know about something you can't really appreciate it. And most people don't know about grip strength and other grip feats. However, a lot of strong athletes get a new found respect for grip strength when coc and other grip companies have representatives and certain meets.

Closing a CoC#4 Is like benching 500 lbs in my opinion of how hard it is.

Closing #4 is more akin to raw bench pressing 500-600 @<275 or 600+@>275...or benching >800-900 geared

I think including more grip/bending events at WSM or IFSA would definitely be great. Having strongman competitions be part of olympics would be another great way to expose grip sport. sponsorships would also need to be more substantial.

Closing #4 is more akin to raw bench pressing 500-600 @<275 or 600+@>275...or benching >800-900 geared

I think including more grip/bending events at WSM or IFSA would definitely be great. Having strongman competitions be part of olympics would be another great way to expose grip sport. sponsorships would also need to be more substantial.

I agree with that. Closing a #4 akin to raw bench is more to 600, than just 500. I think there are a few more people out there closing the #4, but they never lurking around in any boards. Not to talk about the #3 closers, I guess, there are a lot more out there. Not to make closing a #3 down, its still a great feat.

Kind of like MMA, it(grip events) will come. And when it gets a foothold, then, due to its accesability, it will take over.

Concerning the closing of a #4. If you TNS it(i.e. by picking it up with one hand and showing control and then positioning) it with a subsequent close, then you have another level. LEVELS are good. :rock

Edited by Bonzi

Two people I would say are really close would be Tom McClure and Ron Mazza. I don't think they've done it, but I witnessed both of them take a 4 way down (Tom on his first time touching any gripper).

Two people I would say are really close would be Tom McClure and Ron Mazza. I don't think they've done it, but I witnessed both of them take a 4 way down (Tom on his first time touching any gripper).

1st time touching ANY gripper and near close on a #4??? huh!

Got any pictures of this .......

If not, pay for this person's ticket to any gripboard member's location and

they can videotape it. :rock

P.S. I would say that TNSing a #4 would be equivalent to a 3 1/2 minute mile. Then you

go forward.

Edited by Bonzi

I doubt Tom gets on too many internet forums and wouldn't be interested in trying to close a 4, he was just messing around.

When did you experience this? Near close of the #4 on the first try, that is.

If he is this strong, grip wise, then he will be ok to visit the forums. :rock

Just messin' around, huh. You were in the presence of greatness and you

took no pictures? :cool

It was the night before Stronger Than All in CT in 2005 or 2006, Jedd would remember. He basically no set, because like I said, he had never touched a gripper before and took it down to 1/2". Ron Mazza, barely set the #4 and took it down to an 1". Both mashed the solid #3 we had with us...

No pictures or video were taken...

It was the night before Stronger Than All in CT in 2005 or 2006, Jedd would remember. He basically no set, because like I said, he had never touched a gripper before and took it down to 1/2". Ron Mazza, barely set the #4 and took it down to an 1". Both mashed the solid #3 we had with us...

No pictures or video were taken...

Is this Grip Monster(Tom McClure) still alive? If so, get him to Strossen, asap. He'll

make a star out of him. :cool