A Balanced Workout Routine

dima700

Hi everyone. I decided to create a workout routine not to show off my power closing my BBSA as the toughest gripper I can currently close ;), but as a learning experience. I'm hoping that I would be able to learn valuable information from other members' comments and pointers, which would help me finally close my #1.5 and #2 and develop forearm strength and size. I have been working on my grip for the last 4 months. The first time I got the grippers I couldn't close my HG150. Here is today's workout:

December 4, 2007

Note:

All the reps were done with holding pushing down on the handle of the gripper in my palm to avoid slippage.

Rest between sets is 3 minutes

I also have COC Grippers (#1, 1.5,2,3, and 4) but I use BBSA instead of #1 because it's harder to close.

Warm-up - HG100 for left and BBB for right (several reps each)

Set 1:

BBSAx6 fully-closed reps + 14 or so partial attempts - right hand

BBAx5 fully-closed reps + 14 or so partial attempts - left hand

Set 2:

BBAx5 or 6 fully-closed reps + 13 partial attempts - right hand

BBBx4 fully-closed reps + 12 partial attempts - left hand

Set 3:

BBBx4 or 5 fully-closed reps + 10 partial attempts - right hand

BBBx0 fully-closed reps + 12 partial attempts - left hand

Set 4:

BBBx0 + 10 partial attempts - right hand

HG100x6 fully-closed reps + 12 partial attempts - left hand

For the fully-closed reps I let the gripper open almost completely before I do another rep again.

For the partial attempts, after I can't close the gripper anymore, I just do attempts as far as I can as many times until I feel that my flexors are starting to burn.

Flashback: My gripper workout used to consist only of OCs and NGs but last week I started using reps and I noticed that after using reps with grippers, my forearms felt like they were about to pop and it felt like I was really working them. When I used to do negs and OCs, I never had such pump as with reps.

The problem that I have with my current routine is that I start out great repping my BBSA for the first set and then after that I have to do reps with a lower-strength gripper because my strength is zapped after 1st set. I'm afraid that after I start doing reps with light gripper like HG 100 and BBA or BBB, I"m not gaining any strength that can be used to close my #1.5. Any advice on this?

After grippers I do extensor wrist curls with a 15 pound dumbbell, 3 sets each hand x about 20 to 25 reps. I do each set as many reps as I can before I can't do anymore.

After extensor wrist curls, I do static barbell holds with a 45 pound barbell, 3 sets of 60 seconds each set. I'm thinking of lowering the weight and extending the time to 90 seconds, because I noticed that during longer time, my flexors really swell up just like when doing reps with grippers.

Because I"m trying to balance being able to close grippers and getting forearm strength and size, I decided to do grippers for being able to close grippers and static barbell holds for gaining strength and size for flexors.

I plan to do the above routine two days a week. I also do full body workouts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with training grip on Tuesday and Saturday.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please feel free to offer any advice/criticism. Have a good day. :)

If you go to failure on each set, you will lose a lot of strength, particularly including those partial movements. There's nothing wrong with this approach, but something else you could try is doing a few sets of lower reps, say triples on your BBSA and build from there. If you're specifically looking for forearm size, regular wrist curls seem to give the best results.

Good luck with your training.

Thanks Noob Saibot for the advice. :) Here is my today's mini-workout:

December 5, 2007

Rest: 5 minutes between each set.

Effort: As many singles as possible with zero partial attempts.

Set: Letting the gripper become fully open before making another rep

Right:

BBSAx5

#1x6

BBSAx2 (Barely finished the last rep)

Left:

BBBx6 (Tried BBA but couldn't close it, so I settled for lower gripper)

BBBx6

BBBx11 (???????)

Conclusion:

I'm glad that I was able to do several reps with the highest gripper I can currently close but I don't feel the same pump in my forearms as with sets with maximum reps and maximum partials :( I will try the flexor wrist curls tomorrow maybe and see if I can get the pump in my flexors.

Forearm growth and closing bigger grippers are different type of goals and require different methods. You said you are trying to balance between the two but still you are just aiming for the pump. The pump or the feel is not a sign that tells you are training in a best way to get to your goals. Especially the pump that follows using light weight that allows you to do over 20 reps. Multiple sets with heavy weight or resistance are better if you want to pack size to your forearms. I would suggest that you would try to increase your 5 RM on the barbell wrist curl following a basic 5 x 5 program and maybe adding a set of 10-15 reps as a finisher on top of that. Heavier weights result in "more productive type" of pump. :) Just aim to get stronger on the wrist curls, reverse wrist curls and hammer curls and the forearm size will follow. I would suggest working the grippers as heavy singles before everything else that taxes the forearms.

As for static holds, I would not extend the time to 90 seconds. I'd lower it to 30 seconds. Your aim should be holding heavier weights. This would serve your goals better as the 90 second holds are actually more of an endurance test.

Edited by Teemu I

Thanks for the advice Teemu.

December 7, 2007

Briefing:

Today I tried doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with dumbbells. I spend most of the sets trying to figure out which weight would be optimal for being able to do no more than 10 full reps. I was able to do about 13-14 reps with a 35 pound dumbbell for wrist curls and about 20 for reverse wrist curls. I don't like my form though and I feel like I'm doing them wrong, especially the reverse wrist curls. I will try to post a video of myself doing wrist curls so I can get some feedback on my form.

Wrist Curls:

Right:

30lbsx1x15

45lbsx1x2 attempts

40lbsx2x9 (I think)

I did couple more sets but I don't remember what was the weight or the reps. Maybe I should write down the reps and sets right after I finish them while I still remember? :happy

Left:

25lbsx1x10 (I think)

30lbsx1x4 (I think)

??lbsx2xno clue

• 2 weeks later...

December 20, 2007

Feeling: frustration very high because I've been stuck on the last 1/8 inch on #1.5 for more than 4 months.

Decided to try a new beginner workout routine (3 times a week) as suggested by Clay Edgins.

Rest between sets - 2 minutes

Warm-up:

HG100 - 8 reps each hand

HG100 - 8 reps each hand (inverted)

BBB - 3 reps each hand

BBB - 3 reps each hand (inverted)

Workout:

Right hand:

#1.5 (Goal gripper) - 5 attempted reps (full rom)

BBM - 3 negatives, holding for 5 seconds each

BBA - 2 overcrushes, holding for 5 seconds each

#1.5 - 4 reps of braced attempts

Left hand:

#1 (Goal gripper) - 5 attempted reps (full rom)

#1.5 - 3 negatives, holding for 5 seconds each

BBB - 2 overcrushes, holding for 5 seconds each

#1 - 4 reps of braced attempts

Flat handle spring clamp squeeze - 2 sets of attempted closes with a thumb and a forefinger and holding it as long as possible.

IM Bands:

Yellow - 15 reps each hand

Blue - 10 reps each hand

Blue - 10 reps each hand

Conclusion:

Hands are feeling like they got a good workout. The hands are not as tired as with my previous workouts, where I couldn't even close BBA or HG150 with right hand. I just tried it after this workout and could close the HG150 and even #1 with my right. So the intensity is lower, which is good because I intend to do this workout 3 times a week instead of 2. I'm going to try it for 3 months and see what the results are.

• 3 weeks later...

Came home after work today and made another attempt at my #1.5 with right hand and finally closed it!!! It was a definite close because I could feel the handles right next to each other. It was a no-set close since this is how I do all my reps. It feels really great after fighting with this gripper for the past 5 months. I believe that the fact that I took a 4 day rest from grippers before today helped me close it. As a result, I am going to change my workout to only 2 days per week instead of 3, but increase the number of sets and reps for each workout. Now I am looking forward to closing the #2 :) Hopefully it will happen before the summer. Thanks to everyone who gave their advice to me on gripper technique and workout routines. You've all have been very helpful.

January 12, 2007

Workout:

RH:

2 negatives with BBSM holding for 7 seconds each

2 negatives with #2 holding for 7 seconds each

1 negative with BBM holding for 7 seconds

5 overcrushes with BBB with holding a 5-pound plate for 7 seconds each

LH:

2 negatives with BBM holding for 7 seconds each

2 negatives with #2 holding for 7 seconds each

1 negative with #1.5 holding for 7 seconds

5 overcrushes with HG100 with holding a 5-pound plate for 7 seconds each

IMTugs for Ring and Pinky fingers

Did a couple sets of negatives with a #4, overcrushes with a #3, and reps on #3 and #4. I kept the reps close to 20. Hopefully these, along with strap overcrushes, will help me get the #2 soon.

This was my first time doing overcrushes with a strap-hold and these were brutal. Definitely had to squeeze harder on each overcrush and trying to squeeze the gripper without the strap. I think the strapholds are more effective than regular overcrushes so I'll probably start doing them from now on. For the next workout I'll probably alternate between doing a set of negative and an overcrush because after doing 5 negatives I only had enough power for a BBB hold with the right. Also, I will try to do the straphold with a higher gripper but with a 2.5-plate.

Didn't work grip today but I made another no-set attempt at my #1.5 with my right and I was surprised that I was able to grind the handles this time while being able to overcrush it for couple seconds. I think I was able to do this because I finally gave my hands enough rest by only working grip 2 times a week instead of 3. The other thing I noticed is that since I have been able to finally overcome the last few millimeters on the #1.5 gripper, I don't have the same constant anxiety and frustration over not being able to close the gripper completely for the past 5 months. Looking back, those 5 months were a psychiatric nightmare with side effects like hearing the spring on the #1.5 gripper creaking inside the box with all the hand grippers during the night. Even worse, dreaming at night about not being able to close things completely, but leaving them the same number of millimeters open as my closings on the #1.5 gripper, like leaving the bathroom door 2 mm open, leaving the car door 2 mm open, or leaving my zipper 2 mm open. I can deal with the physical pain of strained finger tendons and hand pain, but I can't deal with the psychological pain of not being able to close the gripper completely ;)

If you can TNS the #1.5 you should learn to set a gripper - i wouldn't be at all surprised if you could mash a #2.

If you can TNS the #1.5 you should learn to set a gripper - i wouldn't be at all surprised if you could mash a #2.

Thanks CoC#3 for such encouragement! I will make another attempt at #2 this Saturday and report my progress on it. It's true that I need to improve my setting technique more and I will work on it.

Hi all. As promised, today I made a No-Set attempt at my #2, right after I did a No-Set rep on HG 200 that is slightly harder than my #1.5, to see where I stand against the Beast. I was off by 1 centimeter or 3/8 inches, so I definitely have some work to do. I was actually expecting to be farther away on the gripper close, so it was a pleasant surprise :happy Next week I will make an attempt on my HG 250 which is my earliest goal gripper. My expectation is that I will get the handles at least 1/4 inch apart. Will I triumph or will I fail? Tune in next week to find out :)

• 2 weeks later...

January 29, 2008

RH:

4 overcrushes with #1 for 10 seconds each holding 2.5 pound plate

4 negatives with #2 holding for 10 seconds each

Curl a 10 pound plate for 3 sets of 12 reps

Pinch 2 10-pound plates for about 15-20 seconds for 3 sets

LH:

4 overcrushes with BBB for 10 seconds each holding 2.5 pound plate

4 negatives with #1.5 holding for 10 seconds each

Curl a 10 pound plate for 3 sets of 12 reps

Pinch 2 10-pound plates for about 15-20 seconds for 3 sets

Barbell wrist curl - 3 sets of 12 with 70 pounds

Barbell Reverse wrist curl - 3 sets of 12 with 35 pounds

• 3 weeks later...

February 14, 2008

Did some negatives and overcrushes with grippers. I used BBSM and #2 for negs for RH and #1 for LH. Left wrist was hurting when I was attempting to do a negative for LH with #2, so I had to settle for #1.

I also have a question related to weightlifting. For the past 2 weeks I have done a pyramid workout 2 times a week. For example, for Bench Press I did 5 sets:

12x95

10x115

8x140

6x160

4x185

40 Reps in total

During those 2 weeks I felt fine and I didn't have any muscle soreness. Then 2 days ago, after taking a week off from weightlifting, I did another pyramid workout but with higher reps and lower weight:

25x70

20x95

15x115

12x140

10x140

82 Reps in total

Since then I have been extremely sore in my pec area, which was a complete surprise for me. I figured that since I was doing less weight, I wouldn't have any muscle soreness afterwards. I was just curious as to what caused my muscle soreness.

Was it:

A) I did more Reps in total (82 compared to 40)

B) Took a week off from weightlifting prior to the high-rep workout

C) Targeted the slow twitch fibers by doing high reps, which is what I haven't done in more than a year

D) Any combination of the above

E) Another reason

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

February 23, 2008

New PR - Overcrushed HG200 for more than 10 seconds with RH. Hopefully I will be able to close that stupid #2 soon.

Grippers

Right Hand:

Warmed up with HG100 for 20 reps each hand

7 sec NG with BBSM

7 sec NG with #2

7 sec OC with #1

7 sec OC with BBSA

Decided to try a new workout routine by doing reps instead of OCs and NGs only.

#2 attempt

HG250 attempt

HG200 attempt

#1.5 attempt

Some more reps on easier grippers.

Barbell Wrist curls:

12x70 pounds

12x70

10x75

10x80

8x85

Next workout will add more weight and lower reps.

February 14, 2008

Did some negatives and overcrushes with grippers. I used BBSM and #2 for negs for RH and #1 for LH. Left wrist was hurting when I was attempting to do a negative for LH with #2, so I had to settle for #1.

I also have a question related to weightlifting. For the past 2 weeks I have done a pyramid workout 2 times a week. For example, for Bench Press I did 5 sets:

12x95

10x115

8x140

6x160

4x185

40 Reps in total

During those 2 weeks I felt fine and I didn't have any muscle soreness. Then 2 days ago, after taking a week off from weightlifting, I did another pyramid workout but with higher reps and lower weight:

25x70

20x95

15x115

12x140

10x140

82 Reps in total

Since then I have been extremely sore in my pec area, which was a complete surprise for me. I figured that since I was doing less weight, I wouldn't have any muscle soreness afterwards. I was just curious as to what caused my muscle soreness.

Was it:

A) I did more Reps in total (82 compared to 40)

B) Took a week off from weightlifting prior to the high-rep workout

C) Targeted the slow twitch fibers by doing high reps, which is what I haven't done in more than a year

D) Any combination of the above

E) Another reason

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Probably could've been a combination, and it may be that you activated your pecs more as you did more reps, for whatever reason, and/or you did those reps with modified form which somehow affected your chest.

Eurodancer, the pyramid-style workouts seem illogical/counterproductive to me. I don't list my warmup sets in my training log, but this is what I've found works best for me (caveat: I don't have 1/10 of the weightlifting experience of most here).

I'm too much of a weakling to do so many reps on the light sets and then add weight on each set. I usually do a bit of moving around to get the blood flowing, then I might do around a dozen reps of clean and press or deadlifts with the bar or BW squats (depending on which one relates best to the workout I'm doing that day).

Once I start adding weight, I just do enough reps to get a feel for the movement, get a groove going and make sure I can add weight safely for the subsequent set without taking any energy away for the heaviest set(s). For example, if I was strong enough to do your bench workout (I'm not-yet):

45x12

95x5

135x3

155x2

170x1

185x5|185x5|185x5| (185 for 3 sets of 5 reps) I'm guessing you might be able to do this already without wasting your energy on sets that aren't building any strength. I might use bigger jumps in weight between sets, but it looks like you're more comfortable with small jumps, so I adjusted accordingly.

I think you'll see a big jump in the weights you are using in the sets that count, but perhaps you might want to wait for the more experienced and accomplished fellows to chime in.

You'll kill that #2 soon. Keep up the nice log.

Probably could've been a combination, and it may be that you activated your pecs more as you did more reps, for whatever reason, and/or you did those reps with modified form which somehow affected your chest.

Thanks for the feedback. Whatever it was, it took me completely by surprise.

Odin,

You're right about wasting energy on high reps with low weight. I'm planning to cut down on the weight and reps for warm-up sets, so I'll have enough energy for the higher weight sets. I don't think I"m stronger on the bench press than you because I do it on a bench that makes the barbell slide straight up and down. If I tried to do it on a regular unassisted bench, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to manage the same weight ;) Closing #2 would be my greatest accomplishment in the field of strength :cool

Odin,

You're right about wasting energy on high reps with low weight. I'm planning to cut down on the weight and reps for warm-up sets, so I'll have enough energy for the higher weight sets. I don't think I"m stronger on the bench press than you because I do it on a bench that makes the barbell slide straight up and down. If I tried to do it on a regular unassisted bench, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to manage the same weight ;) Closing #2 would be my greatest accomplishment in the field of strength :cool

Eurodancer, I'm much stronger on wrist curls than the bench at this point, that should change after I have a full year behind me in training them. I use a reverse grip due to rotator cuff issues, so you are stronger than me now.

It sounds like you're using a Smith machine? I don't like using them, it feels like the groove is different than I'd like-I just tend to hate weight machines in general (grip machines are fine). Make sure to ask some of the stronger guys if this is ok; I'd guess they'll tell you to just get a spotter and do free weight BP. Some people love the Smith Machine, I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

March 5, 2008

Received my order of IMTugs #5 and #6. Before that, I used #3 and #4 but since I was able to close #4 RH for many reps, I decided to get some harder ones.

#5 - A perfect strengh level for me because I can P&R it RH for about 5 reps

#6 - Ouch!!! Feels very tough and I can only P&R it about halfway. I can't even close it with I&M :blush Will be good for negatives though.

Workout:

Right Hand:

BBGMx2 NG (Could only force it closed halfway :blush) <<<Weak

#1 OCx2

BBSMx1 NG

Left Hand:

#2x2 Neg

BBAx1 OC/NG

BBBx1 OC

#1.5 NG

I'm thinking of working with grippers 3 days a week: one day - Overcrushes, second day - Full Reps, third day - Negatives. That way I'll be able to concentrate on each routine instead of trying to do OCs, NGs, and Reps all in one workout. I will have to dedicate one day to low intensity day in order to avoid overtraining. How does my idea sound?

• 4 weeks later...

April 3, 2008

Recently stopped concentraing only on grippers and started working other areas of the grip (pinching and wrist).

Today's workout:

Grippers

Right Hand:

HG200x1 close/4 partials

#1.5(hard)x3 closes/4 partials

#1.5(hard)x2 closes/3 partials

#1.5(hard)x2 closes/3 partials

#1.5(easy)x1 close/4 partials

Left Hand:

HG150x7 closes

#1x1 close/4 partials

HG150x5 closes/2 partials

HG150x3 closes/4 partials

HG150x4 closes/3 partials

New PR - closed #1 LH for the first time in my life :) I was very surprised and happy because my left hand hasn't been improving, but seemed like it's been regressing :blink

Pinch

2 HP with 2 25lb plates

4 sets with 5 attempts each set. On two or three of the attempts, I was able to lift and hold the two plates for about 5 seconds.

End Workout

Tomorrow I will do some wrist work and wrist curls.

• 5 weeks later...

May 2, 2008

Grippers felt weak today from not concentrating on them for the past couple weeks. I finally joined a gym a month ago, and as a result, I've been concentrating on full-body workouts and cardio.

Right Hand:

3 sets of Attempts/Negatives with #1.5

3 sets of Overcrushes with MD200

Left Hand:

3 sets of Attempts/Negatives with #1

3 sets of Overcrushes with HG 150 and BBA

Hopefully I can get back to my previous strength soon ;)

It turns out that I can 2HP 2-25lb plates for close to 10 seconds. The reason I couldn't do it before was that I was doing the pinching after grippers. Weird :mellow

Edited by Eurodancer