From Where Do Most Injuries Come?

vaquerodiablo

I've read lots of people's goals to not injure themselves over the course of year and others say that they are dealing with injuries which limit their grip training. How do grip injuries come about? Have people injured themselves using grippers? I can see where folks might hurt themselves bending and whatnot. What things should we be careful with? Thanks!

I've read lots of people's goals to not injure themselves over the course of year and others say that they are dealing with injuries which limit their grip training. How do grip injuries come about? Have people injured themselves using grippers? I can see where folks might hurt themselves bending and whatnot. What things should we be careful with? Thanks!

Good Questions!!! Maybe there should be an injury forum. I am currently recovering from a shoulder injury (from bending) and would be happy to read what other people out there have to say about their shoulder and other injury experiences. I have to lay off for 3-6 months :( osteolisis if anybody has had this before.

Some injuries come from repeated microtrauma. Like any other cumulative trauma disorder, you break the tissues down too far and they are unable to recuperate. When this happens, you end up with an injury.

Balance, recovery work, and rest are all keys to avoiding these types of injuries.

At the BBB this year - almost everyone had some type of small to medium injury they were dealing with in one way or another. At some point in your training, especially as you start competing in a given sport and specialize heavily on event training, you will ask your body to do things it just isn't able to do and end up hurt. But most injuries are just a matter of too much too soon - these are the ones that can be avoided. For the most part - avoid specializing in the majority of your training - train with a wide variety of movements and build a wide and deep base first. Train your whole body - the overall base will go a long way towards protecting you from injury.

Jedd couldn't have said it any better. I would also add,overall good health, flexability,and last but not least work smart and no your limits,unless your a stunt man.

I have had the most success focusing my training on injury prevention, then taking the strength gains as they come. At least 3-4 times a week I spend 30-45 minutes tuning my full body - stretching, using a foam roller, and working on trigger points. During my workouts, I try to include at least 1-2 exercises focused upon stability through the full range of motion for my joints, such as turkish get ups, renegade rows, or windmills.

Couple that with listening to my body and backing off when things hurt, and I have been injury free for the past year. It pays off.

Bending seems to be where most of my injuries come from.

I agree w/ paul....I've read of way more injuries coming from Bending than i have from any other grip specific exercise...it is sort of like the flat bench press of the grip world (in terms of injuries).

• 5 weeks later...
Bending seems to be where most of my injuries come from.

I agree w/ paul....I've read of way more injuries coming from Bending than i have from any other grip specific exercise...it is sort of like the flat bench press of the grip world (in terms of injuries).

Mine all came from bending (bicep injuries)...as far as benching goes, suck those shoulders into thier sockets and dont flare the elbows so much and youve ridded the lift of most of its danger, aside from being crushed :cool

I have arthritis in the base of my thumbs, so I work grip until I start feeling aggravating pain there, then I have to lay off grip for awhile, or I will hardly be able to pick anything up at all for weeks. Pinch gripping and thick bar work seem to be the main culprits for me. I have near-constant pain in my ankles and feet from arthritis and collapsing ankle-joints, so some days I really gimp. Strongman stuff (keg work, farmer's walk, etc.) sometimes makes it worse, but overall I've noticed that my ankles are stronger and more stable since I started training 3 years ago. I would say that most of my injuries are arthritis-related. Good days and bad days at 54.....

John Scribner

since i dont do bending the only injury i have got from gripping is down the side of my hand, the bit from the bottom of my pinky to the top of my wrist, not sure of its name sorry.

But that bit i have injured a number of times and it prevents me from gripping for a number of weeks :(

Unfortunately, I started focused grip training only after I received some serious injuries which I couldn't have stopped (non-weight training accidents), so I work with and around them.

However, I agree whole-heartedly with the advice given above about creating balance in your training, as this will help to avoid injuries. Controled stretching and other muscle relaxation techniques (as mentioned by Scott) can be very beneficial to recovery and prevention as well.

Though I would love to follow my own advice here, healthy eating helps keep the body working as well.

Particularly bad times for injuries are during climate changes (Summer to Fall, etc.), as the body has a lower ability to recover and heal, so these are times to particularly watch out... at least that's what the doctors are always telling me.

• 2 months later...

For shoulder injuries associated with bench, try weighted pushups and one arm pushups. THey incorperate ore of the rotator cuff, shulder muscles, and tendons.

• 1 month later...

Given that one has a muscular injury, what is the more preferred type of compress? Hot or cold?

I am asking this because I overtrained my right wrist ( too many reps on a "hard" gripper and felt that some ligaments or tendons were torn.. The range of motion for my right wrist was severely limited although I'm healing.

It has been more than 6 weeks now.

Given that one has a muscular injury, what is the more preferred type of compress? Hot or cold?

I am asking this because I overtrained my right wrist ( too many reps on a "hard" gripper and felt that some ligaments or tendons were torn.. The range of motion for my right wrist was severely limited although I'm healing.

It has been more than 6 weeks now.

I would say cold, that's what I always use for tendon injuries, although mine have always been to a lesser extent. Have you had it checked out by a doctor?

Yeah doctor told that I probably overstretched either the ligaments and/or tendons of my wrist(can't remember).

I read somewhere that these types of injuries take slowly... :(

At least now my wrists feeling better compared to 6 weeks ago lol.

Yeah doctor told that I probably overstretched either the ligaments and/or tendons of my wrist(can't remember).

I read somewhere that these types of injuries take slowly... :(

At least now my wrists feeling better compared to 6 weeks ago lol.

Yeah they can take a while to heal. I gave myself a nasty case of tennis elbow doing a heavy one handed lift. 3 months later it's still not 100%, but I haven't been able to completely rest it to give it a chance. Daily massage & exercise/stretching was what my physio advised.

These things are healing very slowly.. Almost year ago i injured myseld. That was my own stupidity. Name of the game was "fingerhook". I don't know if that's right word of that but you hook your finger with other guy and just trying to pull them apart.

So, after few pulls my friend get pissed and suddenly there was three fingers against my ring finger. Everybody might guess that is not going to end well. Very loud SNAP heard tendon of my ring finger. Still not yet i don't know what really happened in my hand, but that voice was loud.

That happened about 10 months ago. Now it's healed about 70%. I can live with it because i know now what i can do and what not. Some days that tendon remind itself. Maybe that gonna heal some day fully.

Really, don't do stupid things, even when you drinked pint of couple.

These things are healing very slowly.. Almost year ago i injured myseld. That was my own stupidity. Name of the game was "fingerhook". I don't know if that's right word of that but you hook your finger with other guy and just trying to pull them apart.

So, after few pulls my friend get pissed and suddenly there was three fingers against my ring finger. Everybody might guess that is not going to end well. Very loud SNAP heard tendon of my ring finger. Still not yet i don't know what really happened in my hand, but that voice was loud.

That happened about 10 months ago. Now it's healed about 70%. I can live with it because i know now what i can do and what not. Some days that tendon remind itself. Maybe that gonna heal some day fully.

Really, don't do stupid things, even when you drinked pint of couple.

I think I know what the snapping sound you said..

I also heard one when my wrist "snapped". After the sound, I freakin looked at my hand if it was still in place.. A breath of relief after that and a painful wrist..

Yeah you're right... A hard lesson with what you can and cannot do... :D

Edited by pambihira

• 1 year later...

Before I begin David's "beginners program" to grip training, I'd like to know what symptoms I might expect if I'm about to overtrain my hands/wrists/fingers. Would be nice to be able to stop before it gets too bad. Are there any types of pain/fatigue that you should look out for? I'd appreciate any replies =)

It's been my experience that most grip related injuries come from not

being properly warmed-up.

Warm-up doesn't mean stretching, it means raising the core body temperature

to where you're beginning to lightly sweat. At this point your tendons, ligaments,

and muscles are less likely to get injured.

As Jedd already pointed out, accumulative trauma can sneak up on you too.

The way to recognize this is to listen to your body, especially if you're still

sore in a certain area after a few days of rest.

Hope this helps. :)

Mighty Joe