Bbb Wag

climber511

I said I’d try to predict this contest. So here it is - my predictions for BBB this year. I figure I’ll get maybe half of them close at best. Rating them is based on the WAG (wild a.. guess) system. Only a couple people have had training logs posted so that didn’t leave me a whole lot of information to work with for most of them.

The Top Six. Too close to call really but I took my shot and tried. All these guys are serious competitors of course and as far as I know, no one is actually injured. All are big and have exceptional overall body strength that will show in the Hercules Hold, Axle DL, etc. A couple of the events this year are complete unknowns as far as a competitive history to judge them by. The Hercules hold is new this year and the medley event is always an unknown to a point and not many competition results on 2” V-bar or Axle DL. Strongman scoring makes things even tougher to predict as ties can change the scoring quickly. Big single event scores can give a competitor a boost in a hurry or drop you like a rock in the scoring. . The ability to pull off a “Big” event weighs heavily in my choices.

Big Chad Woodall and Ryan Klein are both just flat out strong overall. I’m giving the edge to Chad I guess just because I know some things about his recent training and I know almost nothing about Ryan’s except for an easy looking 433 Axle DL. I’ve also never met Ryan so I’m just guessing on what he can do on some other events. Chad’s Strongman background may give him an edge in the Hercules hold and his bending has come a long ways in a short time.

Aaron Corcorran has posted every workout of his of the board – he should pick up points on the bending and his grippers seem really “on” right now – nice 2” v-bar numbers and a decent but not outstanding axle DL. He has been doing big volume in his workouts and John’s contest favors endurance so I’m giving him a bump above

Jedd Johnson and Dave Thornton who (along with Chad) are some of my favorite guys in grip (these three have kicked sand in my face so many times now). Dave used to be the real sleeper of grip but he has been found out and everyone knows how strong he is. Both of them will be well prepared and don’t really have a weakness. On the other hand, I don’t think they have a “big” event in this contest that will give them a big point jump over the other top guys. Both have big hands which should help some on the v-bar and Axle.

Josh Dale seems to be struggling judging from his log right now and this is the only reason I have him sixth – the only reason he didn’t win it all last year was the scale weight hold. He appears over trained and struggling at the moment (he could also be sand bagging us all). I also noticed he hasn’t posted in his log for a few days now – if he is resting like I feel he should be and gets it all together again, he could easily jump a few spots. The strength is certainly all there if he’s “on”.

Here’s the next group – also will be pretty close. I kind of figure on this group going back and forth a lot as the different events go on – a lot of different strong points here.

Scott George – not coming – I would have had him next but he hurt his wrist and told me he is unable to attend. I will be taking up a collection at BBB to buy him a padded full body suit to keep him from hurting himself any more.

John Eaton – what can I say about my buddy John – here’s the one guy I know who has the potential to really star at grip if he put his mind to it. He has pulled off about every major grip feat of strength out there by training on his couch. If he would get serious and train seriously for any length of time – he moves to the top group in a hurry. A natural if I ever saw one. John needs to think more about openers and strategy also.

John Beatty – Hercules hold should be big for him and his bending is big time solid. Axle DL certainly won’t be held back any by his back strength, that’s for sure. John, Rick, Bob, Nick, and John Eaton will be side by side all day.

Rick Kramer – this guy came out of nowhere last year to impress us all and didn’t even know what all the events were. Big and strong and this year he will know what he is doing, he will do well. I’m giving him a bump due to his overall strength level with the event choices we have. Plus I have to favor a guy who is practically a “geezer”.

Bob Lipinski – This guy and John Eaton were the two I was hoping to beat before I hurt my shoulder – good solid competitor who is always prepared. Very balanced all around – his goal was to beat me and Nick so I returned the favor. With my bending at the moment, he’s got me for sure. Bob, you need to come to Gripmas and give me another shot buddy.

Nick Rosendaul – I think this will be a good contest for Nick – his bending and grippers are up some, and his overall strength will help on Hercules hold, Axle, etc. He’s also been doing some nice 2” v-bar numbers lately. Here’s another guy who could excel if he got serious about competing.

Chuck Carns – I’ve somehow missed his workout log but Chuck will be solid all around. I have inside information that if Chuck beats a couple guys on any event, they are going to McDonalds for the rest of the contest. So I’m hoping he pulls one off on these guys! GO CHUCK!

Chris Rice – that’s me – I was hoping to sneak into the top ten but then I hurt my shoulder and probably won’t be able to bend at my best. I’ll do much less than I had hoped for. I’m doing therapy like a wild man on it and making some progress so we’ll see. It doesn’t seem to hurt on anything else so that’s good news. The good thing is that I would have been near the bottom on bending anyway so it won’t cost me too many points.

Sean Dockery – recently suffered a serious wrist injury and is competing with one hand in effect, and his left hand at that – he still won’t finish last. He’s been doing more lately with his wrist but won’t be back to his normal strength on Axle, Hercules hold etc and I don’t know if he can bend or not with it – anything with both hands will suffer.

This third group I just don’t know well enough to predict – I haven’t done contests with them and in some cases, I don’t know anything about them,

Neil Kazaross – I could only find one contest result for him. Looked pretty good there but that’s all I know.

Dan Sweeny

Zach Coulter

Scott Harris

Robert Alva

Jerry Donaldson

Luke Pro

As usual, it all comes down to the contest and what events are in it. With a different set of events, it might be totally different.

Ok – I’ve hung my butt out there – let the crucifixion begin. What think you all?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• jad

• acorn

• MalachiMcMullen

I predict a better than last place position for me... well I hope for a better than last place position :) I can't disagree with your top 6 or your reasons though.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I predict a better than last place position for me... well I hope for a better than last place position :) I can't disagree with your top 6 or your reasons though.

Like I said Zach - I just couldn't find enough information to make a good guess on several of you. The other groups have multiple competition results for me to look at. And training lifts only have a limited value in predicting competitions.

I hope nobody takes offense on my projections - that certainly wasn't what I was trying to do, just seeing how close I might come. The last group is in the order John had them when I did my copy and paste - not any projected finish positions.

i don't think anyone will take offense, this stuff is fun to read. i do have a injured left wrist but it only affects grippers. i am taking a anti-inflammatory so hopefully by contest it will be okay.

what is Chad's best bend?

Like I said Zach - I just couldn't find enough information to make a good guess on several of you. The other groups have multiple competition results for me to look at. And training lifts only have a limited value in predicting competitions.

I hope nobody takes offense on my projections - that certainly wasn't what I was trying to do, just seeing how close I might come. The last group is in the order John had them when I did my copy and paste - not any projected finish positions.

Not taking offense, I don't think you need to worry about anyone else taking offense either!

i don't think anyone will take offense, this stuff is fun to read. i do have a injured left wrist but it only affects grippers. i am taking a anti-inflammatory so hopefully by contest it will be okay.

what is Chad's best bend?

I know Chad's best bend - but if I told you, I'd have to kill you :D - or Chad would kill me as he ask me not to tell - which would be bad - I'm too young to die :blush

I am still healing a very persistently painful broken left hand. :angry:

I can't believe nobody has anything to say - even if it's "you're crazy". :cry I figured there would be at least some smack talk out of it - you guys are no fun at all! This is supposed to be fun - darn it.

Edited by climber511

I figured there would be at least some smack talk out of it

Ok, ok, here I go... Lookout Chad, Jedd and Ryan! Don't feel too bad when the noob takes 1st! :cool

Guys on this board are just too darn nice I think :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I figured there would be at least some smack talk out of it

Ok, ok, here I go... Lookout Chad, Jedd and Ryan! Don't feel too bad when the noob takes 1st! :cool

Guys on this board are just too darn nice I think :)

Hahaha yeah whatever Zach you're just lucky I'm not there to destroy you :flame

I can't believe nobody has anything to say - even if it's "you're crazy". :cry I figured there would be at least some smack talk out of it - you guys are no fun at all! This is supposed to be fun - darn it.

I think your predictions are just too well thought out to provoke anything. On a side note, After the contest; ChEaton are set to have our AW grudge match that's been a year in the making...assuming we can find a suitable surface. I can assure you the smack talk will reach world class levels for this event...bring your camcorders boys, it will be highly entertaining if nothing else.

Some questions to ponder...

Will John even pull me or just lever me by my Calista Flockhart wrist?

If John wins will he do his patented victory pirrouttes?

Do you need to be able to wrist curl 205 to bend a hexabastard?

Will either of us even be able to move Chad's arm past neutral?

Who are the McDonald's mystery men?

Will Ryan and John B have a deadlift showdown after the contest?

Will Bob and John play 20# sledge H-0-R-S-E after the contest?

Will John attempt to measure Jedd and Chad's thumbs?

For the answers to these questions and many more, tune in on Saturday, same Bastard time, same Bastard Channel

I think your predictions are just too well thought out to provoke anything. On a side note, After the contest; ChEaton are set to have our AW grudge match that's been a year in the making...assuming we can find a suitable surface. I can assure you the smack talk will reach world class levels for this event...bring your camcorders boys, it will be highly entertaining if nothing else.

For the answers to these questions and many more, tune in on Saturday, same Bastard time, same Bastard Channel

Now that's what I'm talking about!

I had hoped to have a 425 atlas stone made to play with after the show, but will have to make due with the 385. I'd like to make top 10. We'll see. I, as usual, have done about 3-4 training (half-assed) sessions in the last few months, so I'll be in standard form.

I'm just looking forward to seeing the guys again, and meeting those I haven't.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Real nice writeup there Chris!

I am shooting for the top of the second tier guys. I've trained my ass off, so I will be happy in the top ten, I'm shooting for 7th, and will be very happy at anything above.

Chad and and Ryan will be interesting. There is too much unknown, but I am putting Ryan on top. Really, what it will come down to is because of the strongman placing, how many guys get in between them on their "off" events. Chad should whomp Ryan good in the grippers, but if Ryan is able to keep up with Jedd, Josh, and Aaron he will be okay. For the axle Ryan has the better number posted, but I think his is still a toss up, along with the medley and Hercules Hold- Ryan has got enough heavy pulling in his training for a great base of strength. Vbar should be close, but I think Ryan would have the edge. Bending... I don't know what Chad is doing but it will be hard to outbend Ryan.

Good post Josh

Thanks Bob! like you said, too many unknown's which make it very hard to predict.

The great unknown is what is Chad bending nowadays. Chris feel free to P.M. the answer to this on the P&B website. i promise i won't tell anyone. :D

i could see six or so different guys possibly winning.

So John, did you want to have a deadlift showdown afterwards? i wouldn't mind going for a max pull Sat. i would try for 765 and go from their. what type of deadlift bar do you have?

So John, did you want to have a deadlift showdown afterwards? i wouldn't mind going for a max pull Sat. i would try for 765 and go from their. what type of deadlift bar do you have?

Yikes! :ohmy Now that would be worth watching.

Wow, Chris has me placing way higher than I ever expected to do against this group. The top group is still a toss-up to me; Ryan, Chad, Jedd, Aaron and Josh could all win this thing....if I even break the top half Ill be amazed.

I have a feeling the Mcdonalds group consists of just Eaton and his gigantic thumbpads, I dont think I have any chance of beating Aaron or Ben at any events, so yeah, I think its just John :D I still can't beleive has hasnt posted the video of him face-curling my 47.5 lb blob.

I plan on staying as late as possible this time around to get in on the fun afterwards, since Im flying home and not driving.

Good post Josh

Thanks Bob! like you said, too many unknown's which make it very hard to predict.

The great unknown is what is Chad bending nowadays. Chris feel free to P.M. the answer to this on the P&B website. i promise i won't tell anyone. :D

i could see six or so different guys possibly winning.

I haven't been training heavy for quite a while, I'd be lucky to hit 705 right now, I'd do better with a rep contest at 505 or the like & try for 20, but I'd be willing to play, I've been nursing a pinch in my L hip, so haven't been going over 605 for quite a while. I have a 1500lb test bar, so not much life at all. We could put one of my spare bars & try some heavy rack pulls, too

Edited by John Beatty

Hopefully we aren't fighting each other for next to last place ! I am a certain last in bending but will do my best. Hopefully I can finish close to the middle of the pack in V-bar and the thick handled stuff.

See you all there, and best of luck .. neilkaz ..

No predictions Scott? are you going?

Yeah John i am spoiled now. we have a ernie Frantz deadlift bar at the gym. it is not as good as an okie bar but it is still nice. maybe we could do a rep thing if we feel up to it.

No predictions Scott? are you going?

Yeah John i am spoiled now. we have a ernie Frantz deadlift bar at the gym. it is not as good as an okie bar but it is still nice. maybe we could do a rep thing if we feel up to it.

I'll predict Ryan and Aaron both bend KOABs with bending being the 2nd event.

Yep I am wimping out. It would be pointless to go. Tooo many injuries from toooo many activities. finger, both wrist, and to a lesser degree back and knees. The only event I think i can do right now would be the eating contest with big John Eatin' :D .

Just going to take the next month off and hope to be ready for gripmas.

I have to say I like this thread and good luck to everyone, sorry to miss you guys this year.

Hey - feel free to put together your own ranking and reasons behind them. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's thinking about this. Different people know how some of these guys training is going that I didn't know about - come on - join in the fun!

More predictions, let's see - I think the top 4 will be between Chad, Ryan, Aaron, and Jedd. With everyone travelling, they are too close to call.

In Michigan, Ryan was an obvious favorite because of his overall body strength coupled with the advantage of being on his home turf. He loses that advantage in Pesotum, but is still the biggest deadlifter of the bunch.

Aaron has exceptional potential and could surprise everyone on the day of the contest, especially as he now has some experience with the grip contests. What I saw at Three Rivers is that he knows how to be an elite competitor as well as an elite strength athlete. That has come out to propel him to the top quickly, but his peak has to be much further away given the short time he has been into this stuff.

Chad and Jedd both are well rounded big guys and have a ton of experience travelling to compete specifially in grip contests. Their past track record means they cannot be ruled out.

I suspect the hercules hold will put Dave out of the running for first. I am guessing that the event will be skewed heavy due to John's tremendous supporting strength and take out the guys who do not have large deadlifts.

I am interested to see the results but won't be attending this one. I am going to attend Gripmas in December and need to balance the amount of time and money I invest in attending grip contests when I my training is not focused on getting stronger.