Free Inch Dumbbell Available

RogerSteffens

I just got the email from Roger. :( This makes me absolutely sick... I am about 15 miles away from where he lives, and I could of gotten it today.

I just wish he had looked a bit on this forum and he would of found that I have been looking for one for a long time now. < <

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride!!! :dry

This was an amazingly gracious opportunity that Roger made available to the first come.

I don't believe it could have gone to a better man then Bob. This Inch will be pulled daily, and now is already slated to be at Gripmas for others to enjoy.

By December at least 20-25 guys will get a chance to pull Roger's Inch, I think thats just great for everyone in the grip world

This will be one happy Inch living with Odin :D

congrats!! :mosher

Thanks Roger - looks like I'll get a shot at it come Dec clear up here in Ohio - not that I've ever had any luck with the other ones I have tried. Maybe this will be the one? :blush

This was an amazingly gracious opportunity that Roger made available to the first come.

I don't believe it could have gone to a better man then Bob. This Inch will be pulled daily, and now is already slated to be at Gripmas for others to enjoy.

By December at least 20-25 guys will get a chance to pull Roger's Inch, I think thats just great for everyone in the grip world

This will be one happy Inch living with Odin :D

congrats!! :mosher

Thanks Scott, you are very kind and are welcome to visit and lift it anytime. It should help enhance the fun of Gripmas. I'm sure everyone will want to grab it.

Any thoughts about which aspects of your strength that you, me and Anson will need to do to in order to pull it to a full DL? I think you and your brother-in-law could do it now or very soon. Any other locals?

I will need to get a stall mat or something similar so the wooden floor remains intact. I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of negatives/drops.

Roger's offer was incredibly gracious indeed, this Inch will get plenty of attention.

Thanks Roger - looks like I'll get a shot at it come Dec clear up here in Ohio - not that I've ever had any luck with the other ones I have tried. Maybe this will be the one? :blush

Chris, what do you think it was that stopped you before? Have you gotten any air under it? I've heard thumb strength is very important to keep it from rolling.

Since you are so mechanically-minded, maybe you can set up a deload to see how close people are...would that be fun?

Chris, what do you think it was that stopped you before? Have you gotten any air under it? I've heard thumb strength is very important to keep it from rolling.

Since you are so mechanically-minded, maybe you can set up a deload to see how close people are...would that be fun?

What stopped me before - just not strong enough is all. I have broke it from the floor before but not by much. I can lift it by using a finger to stop the rotation. I simply need to get stronger. Yes the thumb is important but I actually think it's my wrist that is stopping me as muchl as the thumb. I'll work on a deload system - shouldn't be that hard to rig up.

What stopped me before - just not strong enough is all. I have broke it from the floor before but not by much. I can lift it by using a finger to stop the rotation. I simply need to get stronger. Yes the thumb is important but I actually think it's my wrist that is stopping me as muchl as the thumb. I'll work on a deload system - shouldn't be that hard to rig up.

Thanks for your reply Chris, looks like I have a very long way to go if it is stopping you. I would think your wrists must be strong from all of your levering and bending, etc. The deload sounds like fun, at least we can experience movement with some measurement of current level of strength.

I have an Inch replica available for free (Sorinex), only slightly used :blink . Located in Atlanta.

However, I'm too lazy to ship. So if anyone wants to come get it, let me know.

regor60@gmail.com

ps hopefully this is a permitted post ?

Today is one week from the day I read the above post in disbelief and decided to reply. After I found out that Roger was giving his Inch to me, I called my wife and told her. She didn't really understand at first what I was so happy about, but wanted to drive up with me on Sunday to Atlanta (this was the best time for Roger).

I will try to recount some of the events of the day, but hope Roger corrects me/elaborates, because I was so excited to meet him (read about him In Iron Grip re: his COC cert. and 221 RT lift, but of course forgot to bring that up).

I tried to keep my speed down on the trip, as a few people in front of me had been pulled over by the authorities, it took us about 3 and 1/2 hours to drive about 240 miles with one stop for a snack. Finally, we arrived at Roger Steffens' home and were warmly greeted by him. I was transfixed by his forearms, it looked like they contained some kind of tumor or implant under the skin(in a good way). Feeling guilty over getting something-for-nothing, I offered him some blobs and other items, but the only gifts he'd accept were a couple shot puts and some chalk.

Roger brought us to his basement and showed us some of his toys, which included an old Atlas (or Gripinator), Hardy Handshake, PDA Inch trainer, various grippers, a few blobs and, sitting forlornly in the shadows, The Inch Replica. My wife gasped in astonishment and I kept looking at it in amazement at its brutal beauty.

We put it on a dolly and wheeled it out of his basement and up a slight incline. As I pulled the dolly, my asthma kicked in ever-so-slightly, my legs felt a little weak and I thought to myself that I should start dragging one of those workout sleds to build up my overall Gilligan/J.J. Walker/Don Knotts-like "strength".

As I struggled, with a dolly, to move this monstrous dumbbell and stared at Roger's enormous forearms, I muttered to myself that I must be the Walter Mitty of the strength-training world, what the hell was I thinking?

Finally, we parked the Inch in Roger's garage. Before I got the video camera fired up, Roger pulled the Inch a good foot or more off the ground and it made a tremendously satisfying metallic DOINK sound as it hit the floor. Roger gave me some tips on hand positioning after I wasted energy spinning it like a top, pulling on it like a lawn mower cord and finally-I got air under a couple of attempts, he said one was a pretty good pull (maybe somewhere between where a sheet of paper could slide under it and my shoetops, but I'll wait for Roger's opinion, the camera angle was wrong to catch it).

My hand was trashed at this point and his Blob was glued to the floor. I gave him a few blob training tips and showed him David Horne's 3-finger style, because his hands are 7 and 1/2 at the most (seemed smaller than Scott's).

He also mashed his #3 and may have briefly touched the handles as he held it about a 1/16 of an inch apart for several seconds. I made a pathetic attempt as my hand had nothing left and he said my hand positioning was poor, too much little finger, wrong place in my hand among other things.

Finally, I loaded the Inch in the back seat of our car as Roger solicitously asked if I was ok, I think he correctly sensed what a weakling I am. I apologized for talking too much (normally I'm introverted), but wished we could spend more time talking as I feel rather alone with my interest in "real-life" settings. I really wanted him to teach me how to rip cards and how he tosses kettlebells, but hope I can visit him again. On the way home I couldn't believe this really had occurred, and kept looking at the Inch in the back seat.

I took the Inch to show some of my clients that evening as soon as we got into town and got a little air again. I took it to work with me and everyone thought it was just a crazy thing to try and couldn't understand why I'd mess with driving 7 hours to get a dumbbell.

Of course, the very next night, sore forearms and all, I had to train with it again and got a pic of it with a shadow visible underneath it. I hope to fully DL the Inch one day, and am absolutely crazy about it. It is PERFECT.

Finally, after I wrestled it a bit, it rests in our home in a place of honor by the fireplace, waiting for its next time outdoors. I pat it or grab the handle nearly every time I walk through the room. It is truly the centerpiece of our home and my most prized possession.

As for Sybersnott, I've found a few online references that he bought Clay's inch a while back-is he secretly training for the Double Inch FW now?

Many thanks to Roger Steffens for bringing great joy into my life! Sounds crazy, but I LOVE the Inch Replica Dumbbell!

Edited by odin

As for Sybersnott, I've found a few online references that he bought Clay's inch a while back-is he secretly training for the Double Inch FW now?

Bob,

I wish that were the case, but sadly... I never got it. :( By the time I wanted to get it (long story), Clay decided he wasn't going to sell it to me after all.

So now you feel how hurt I really am that I couldn't get Roger's Inch DB.

Here's something else: I've known about Roger's existance for a few years now, but the guy is as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster - I've never got the chance to meet him, talk to him or nothing.... and he lives about 15 miles from me. :dry

So not only did you get his Inch DB, but you got to meet and talk to him as well!!! Life is cruel!!! :angry:

On the way home I couldn't believe this really had occurred, and kept looking at the Inch in the back seat.

Be careful when driving. :upsidedwn This is how accidents happen. :tongue

On the way home I couldn't believe this really had occurred, and kept looking at the Inch in the back seat.

Be careful when driving. :upsidedwn This is how accidents happen. :tongue

Especially when the Inch keeps rolling against the seats while riding the brakes.... I know what I'm talking about! :D

Chris, just use your bands in the power rack. That is what Doc did and It worked well.

Bob, it was a lot of fun meeting you and Maricel. You both are very warm and down to earth. It's clear to me the dumbbell has found a better home and I'm happy others will get a chance to play with it as well. Clearly, our strength gave out before our enthusiasm playing with my various pieces of equipment but we had a good time.

Bob graciously embellishes my Inch lift attempt, I believe. It got no more than an inch off of the ground, about the same as his attempts. But I think with his enthusiam he will eventually get a full lift !

Bob, it was a lot of fun meeting you and Maricel. You both are very warm and down to earth. It's clear to me the dumbbell has found a better home and I'm happy others will get a chance to play with it as well. Clearly, our strength gave out before our enthusiasm playing with my various pieces of equipment but we had a good time.

Bob graciously embellishes my Inch lift attempt, I believe. It got no more than an inch off of the ground, about the same as his attempts. But I think with his enthusiam he will eventually get a full lift !

Roger, it seemed like your lift was at least as high as one of the DB globes...it made that ever-so-wonderful sound when you set it down. My wife was also very impressed with your lift and is asking me why my forearms are not as big and strong as yours. Thanks for your kind words, and thank you most of all for allowing us to give a good home to your Inch Dumbbell.

I forgot to write about your handshake, very strong and solid.

My wife got to chat with yours a bit, sorry I didn't get to chat with her, but she was pleasant...maybe next time.

Wow, my grammar was really messed up in my previous post, oh well, nothing new.