Gripper Technique

Tigger

Hi

i just recieved a full set of Heavy Grippers and i've started playing with them

i can no set shut the 250 and do a good few reps with the 200

i've a few questions tho

1. is it biomechanically easier to use the left hand it seems that i am better with my left and i'm right handed

although i train with weights etc and this has probably evened my hands i've never directly worked my grip

2. is there a best way to hold the gripper should you squeeze it in and then sorta re-grip it

how deep into your hands should it be

3. are negatives or holds a good idea

4. what is the advantage of the choking (seems like cheating and you could just use both hands to start

Hi

i've a few questions tho

1. is it biomechanically easier to use the left hand it seems that i am better with my left and i'm right handed

although i train with weights etc and this has probably evened my hands i've never directly worked my grip

2. is there a best way to hold the gripper should you squeeze it in and then sorta re-grip it

4. what is the advantage of the choking (seems like cheating and you could just use both hands to start

1. Grippers fit better on right hand. You are new with grippers so maybe you have better technique with that left hand. Who knows. Training will help with this "problem."

2. Mmm.. What you actually mean? I think you are speaking about setting the gripper. Use search, there are lots of topics.

3. Negatives are effective tool to make gains. Those are quite rough for hands, especially for beginners so be careful.

4. Yes, choking is cheating, but sometimes cheating is smart. When you choke your gripper you can train only that part of movement what you want. For example you can choke gripper to paraller.

And what are those advantages? You can give all just that one squeeze and you don't have to worry about that setting. I think you get that when you try.

Edited by Koura

Hi

i've a few questions tho

1. Grippers fit better on right hand. You are new with grippers so maybe you have better technique with that left hand. Who knows. Training will help with this "problem."

2. Mmm.. What you actually mean? I think you are speaking about setting the gripper. Use search, there are lots of topics.

3. Negatives are effective tool to make gains. Those are quite rough for hands, especially for beginners so be careful.

4. Yes, choking is cheating, but sometimes cheating is smart. When you choke your gripper you can train only that part of movement what you want. For example you can choke gripper to paraller.

And what are those advantages? You can give all just that one squeeze and you don't have to worry about that setting. I think you get that when you try.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the video. I do not know how to set. I just tried to do what he did in that video and it seemed to make it more difficult for me. I could not even do my #1. I am probably doing it wrong, any advice?

Thank you for the video. I do not know how to set. I just tried to do what he did in that video and it seemed to make it more difficult for me. I could not even do my #1. I am probably doing it wrong, any advice?

Practice!

I do not know how to set. I just tried to do what he did in that video and it seemed to make it more difficult for me. I could not even do my #1. I am probably doing it wrong, any advice?

Place the handle in your hand parallel to your knuckles and then KEEP IT THERE AND DON'T LET IT MOVE. Then with the opposite handle, move it into your gripper hand by your other hand by pressing it down until your fingers catch on it. From then on, just pull the gripper closed.

Don't feel bad. I can't set a gripper to save my life. I'm not going to let that stop me though. I'm able to no set a #2 and I'm very close to doing the same with a #2.5. I'm confident that in the next couple of years (hopefully sooner) my name will be on the COC and MM lists even without being able to set a gripper.

The Diesel Crew has some great videos! This one shows how to set the gripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaG1G80v4k

After watching that vid i closed my hg300 for the first time..technique is huge.

GO diesel!

Edited by verdigriz

When i started to practise that "real" set, i felt just like you. On old times i holded spring and pressed handles down and wrap my fingers better on those handles. Now i know how poor this previous technique is.

It was definetly good to stuck this and learn proper set. So, practise!

Wow, this is the best gripper setting video I've ever seen :rock

Very usefull for the begginers like me :D