• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• opnsysme

• com202

• Booyah!!!

I might have 2 more competitors. One said he might be able to go, the other said he will go. We'll see.

Good news! This might be the biggest, or the least small, Show of Hands yet!

Anybody need any steel?

I'm gonna go to a supplier and get myself some. Not sure when, but within the month is more than likely. I'll probably go back sometime before the comp. too.

Last time I was there I paid approximately $10.00 for 20 feet of flat steel. Not sure how much the round stuff is.

If anybody wants me to bring some steel, I'm more than happy to.

Jason

Thanks to Robert's generous gift, we will have 1 1/4 lb. plates this year. Awesome!

Jason, what I am looking for is the St. Croix polo shoes (next step up from the #2 ultra lite). I don't have a dealer locally.

I believe I have 39 of the St. Croix Polo #2. You'll have plenty of them when I come down there. I also have numerous other shoes of different brands mostly used.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn that sucks. I didn't realize this was on the 19th as I had never payed attention to the date before. I finally talked my mom into driving there but now I realized I'll be in NYC on a band trip that weekend (performing at Carnegie hall for all you music enthusiasts). Have fun guys, put up big numbers, and maybe I'll be there next year.

Derek, we'd love to have you any ol' year you choose to show up. :)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Guys, I've decided it would be best to change up the events a bit. We will keep 6" stock freestyle bending, Euro Pinch, and 2" FBBC v-bar, but I would like to contest both hands on the v-bar. We will drop the 2" bar hang for time, as well as the double underhand bending. In their place we'll have a super cool Gripmas-like medley event. It's just downright fun! I'll enjoy getting creative with the implements here, and I'm sure it will be a blast for the contestants. And because Aaron has so kindly offered to let us use his collection of calibrated grippers, we'll contest a choked to parallel gripper event, contesting one hand. I've wanted this event for a long time, but my gripper collection is pathetic, and at the moment, uncalibrated.

Here's some thoughts I've come up with on the medley. I'd like some relatively easy feats, as well some elite feats included. It may be that no one is able to complete the entire medley. There will be a time limit, but time will not factor into your score. Possible feats to be performed include tearing a deck of Bicycles, deadlifting the Blob 50 (if that's okay with you, Jason?), 2.5" loaded dumbbell deadlift, 2.5" revolving handle deadlift, axle deadlift, double underhand bend or reverse grip bend (prewrapped) sledge lever or two to the nose, front sledge lever, 1.5" pinch block deadlift, and whatever else we can come up with to total one or two dozen feats. So if you have an idea for a feat you'd like included, let us know. And I will provide for you all a list of all the feats to be included when I post the official rules. I want to minimize any homecourt advantage I may have.

What do you guys think?

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Guys, I've decided it would be best to change up the events a bit. We will keep 6" stock freestyle bending, Euro Pinch, and 2" FBBC v-bar, but I would like to contest both hands on the v-bar. We will drop the 2" bar hang for time, as well as the double underhand bending. In their place we'll have a super cool Gripmas-like medley event. It's just downright fun! I'll enjoy getting creative with the implements here, and I'm sure it will be a blast for the contestants. And because Aaron has so kindly offered to let us use his collection of calibrated grippers, we'll contest a choked to parallel gripper event, contesting one hand. I've wanted this event for a long time, but my gripper collection is pathetic, and at the moment, uncalibrated.

Here's some thoughts I've come up with on the medley. I'd like some relatively easy feats, as well some elite feats included. It may be that no one is able to complete the entire medley. There will be a time limit, but time will not factor into your score. Possible feats to be performed include tearing a deck of Bicycles, deadlifting the Blob 50 (if that's okay with you, Jason?), 2.5" loaded dumbbell deadlift, 2.5" revolving handle deadlift, axle deadlift, double underhand bend or reverse grip bend (prewrapped) sledge lever or two to the nose, front sledge lever, 1.5" pinch block deadlift, and whatever else we can come up with to total one or two dozen feats. So if you have an idea for a feat you'd like included, let us know. And I will provide for you all a list of all the feats to be included when I post the official rules. I want to minimize any homecourt advantage I may have.

What do you guys think?

The Humbler - gotta have a Humbler in there :D

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

What do you guys think?

The Humbler - gotta have a Humbler in there :D

Well, I guess I'll have to construct a Humbler, too. :D For those of you who haven't had the misfortune of meeting Mr. Humbler, he is a section of PVC pipe in which you place your hand, extend your fingers, and try to lift him up with such a small amount of attached weight that if you fail you feel like a big sissy, and of course... humbled.

Well, I've been thinking about our Medley all day long at work. I'll be adding an easy deck of cards to go with the deck of Bicycles, a timber tie to be snapped in two :rock , a bottle cap to be crushed one handed with a technique of your choice, several grippers, maybe an easy horseshoe, and...

I will rank all the feats on a scale of difficulty from one to ten, with ten being the toughest. The time limit will be ample, so you don't have to rush and risk dropping a Blob on your toes. Also, instead of loading items we will simply deadlift them to knee level. Again, this should reduce the risk of injury. I'll also try and have at least two different levels of difficulty for the feats whenever practical.

I'm getting all worked up talking about it. Hey, would anyone object to having the contest next Saturday? :laugh

Make 'em crush the bottle cap with the ring and pinky :D Sounds like its going to be a great medley and a great event. I've always wanted to see Texas...

Make 'em crush the bottle cap with the ring and pinky :D Sounds like its going to be a great medley and a great event. I've always wanted to see Texas...

You are a cruel man, Jeremy! But come on down to Texas anyways!

Now that sounds like a load of fun :rock . Permission granted for the use of the BLOB50.. I won't be giving it any air time though....or will I :dry

I've got some smaller weights to go along with the BLOB50, if you want to add any of them to the Medley. I'll check on the weights.

Let me know if there is anything else you need that I might have.

Now that sounds like a load of fun :rock . Permission granted for the use of the BLOB50.. I won't be giving it any air time though....or will I :dry

I've got some smaller weights to go along with the BLOB50, if you want to add any of them to the Medley. I'll check on the weights.

Let me know if there is anything else you need that I might have.

Thanks, Jason!

If you have some smaller Blobs or block weights, that would be ideal to make for a graduated series of feats.

If you need anything at all Eric let me know. I have hub plates (35 and 45), bomb, 2"/3" DB, assorted blobs, one hand lift handle (Chris' version), one finger lift loading pin, etc.

I wish it was next weekend man!! Then I could go!! Hey I'll try to be there next year Eric and hopefully it works out.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Wow that is going to be tough on the hands. I guess I can stop training on the 2" hang now, though I was getting up there and found it to really help my open hand strength. I also have a half a 90 lb (48lb) blob I can bring, and I have a wicked 22lb steel ring. Not really sure what we could use the ring for but its pretty much indestructible. I also have a 2.5 inch diameter thick bar, and a bunch of uncalibrated grippers. Eric, when do you think you will have the official events and have them "locked"?

Wow that is going to be tough on the hands. I guess I can stop training on the 2" hang now, though I was getting up there and found it to really help my open hand strength. I also have a half a 90 lb (48lb) blob I can bring, and I have a wicked 22lb steel ring. Not really sure what we could use the ring for but its pretty much indestructible. I also have a 2.5 inch diameter thick bar, and a bunch of uncalibrated grippers. Eric, when do you think you will have the official events and have them "locked"?

The only thing preventing me from posting the official rules is sorting out the events for the medley. Aaron Corcorran's bringing his calibrated gripper collection, but it sure wouldn't hurt for everyone to bring a few grippers, just in case. Hopefully by then I'll have a gripper calibrater of my own set up. Oh, and I also have to calibrate all the 6" stock for the bending event and post those figures, as well. So, let's say the events are finalized. I should have enough items for a fun medley, but if someone shows up with a super cool toy or two we could always throw that in. Right now I just need to focus on making enough homemade loading pins to accomodate all the feats in the medley. I'm hoping to have it sorted out in the next couple of weeks.

I will be providing food, which will most likely be barbecue or pizza. I'll also have beer and bottled water available. This year there will be an entry fee, most likely $20.

Matt, I remember that big wicked ring from the time you brought it to Weldon's. Have you ever tried an all out one hand deadlift with it. If the weights don't get too heavy, maybe it would be a good event for the medley.

Actually I haven't, all I've done is thrown it for height. But a lift may be fun, I can always bring it and if don't use it that's fine. Doesn't take up a lot of room.

Man I really wish we had access to an Inch, I have been dying to try one of those things.

Man I really wish we had access to an Inch, I have been dying to try one of those things.

opnsysme, I will try to be going to some contests and will bring my Inch whenever I drive, but don't plan on driving 1,000 miles to Texas unless Scott or Anson or _________ want to ride there together.

Eric, the Medley (and the contest) sounds like fun.

Edited by odin

Well if you can that would be cool, but I understand, 1000 miles is a long drive!! I appreciate the offer.

Hey Matt,

If you ever have a bad itch to lift the inch. Next time you're up in DFW, there is an inch at Metro-flex gym where Ronnie Coleman trains. I walked in and gave it a ride....er, scoot...ok, it ignored that I was there. However, you can try it. They use it as a door stop. Rather effective I might add.

It's wasy to get to. Just go on 20 from Fort Worth or Dallas and go to Arlington. Go north on Cooper street. It's a few miles up that road and it's on the right. You could probably google it and be there.

Anyway, just if you ever wanted to try it and not wait for a contest.

Sorry I won't be at the contest this year with you guys. I'm enjoying living in Virginia though. Mortgage free living is everything it's cracked up to be. Oh, and having neighbors a good 3 wood with a slice away ain't bad either.