Virtual Grip Contest For Weaklings

supersoldier

OK here it is can close a #1 CoC pretty consistently but no chance at doing multiple reps yet. #2 I'm about 1cm from closing.

If your at this stage or very close jump in the competiton.... please post where your at at the start of the race.

2 parts

1.) race to 10 reps of #1 CoC

2.) Close a #2 CoC

This competition is obviously on the honors system... please post progress reports, training plans etc..... smack talk

I'm following KTA program (day 7 right now)

I just filled down my #1 for overcrushes.... no takers to challenge me yet?

experienced guys: Should I have got a trainer aswell to use for over crushes if I can only do singles on the #1? I did about 14-15 reps on the trainer in the store...

I like the trainer just for warmups and its also useful for two finger closes, (index and middle or pinky and ring). Don't ask me though I have about every gripper they make.

Not challenging as such, but I'm game to join in! Current status is singles with both hands on the #1, and only just with the left.

Not following any particular routine/programme at the moment. What I do is:

Warmup with kettlebell swings (actually done with a 13kg ship's chain shackle with a 2 inch girth)

Single handed sandbag swings with a 20kg bag.

DB Squats with barbells instead of DBs alternated with thick bar (2.5 inch) deadlifts

Bench press and pulldowns alternated with military/DB press and bent over rows with eagle loops

I am usually doing 5x5s with these.

Specific grip work:

Ivanko SuperGripper - for general gripper-type strength

IMTUGs #3, #4 and #5 (thanks MarkR) - first two fingers, last two fingers IMTUG inverted as per instructions for use, and last two fingers with spring upwards to train closure to the thumbpad.

David Horne's beginner's routine (wrist curls, pinches etc.) as per the FAQ pages here. Normally done with standard thickness bars at the moment. I am about to start doing plate curls either instead or additionally, but not sure yet.

Sledgehammer work, those planes of movement not worked by DH's routine.

"Power Putty" type of stuff — can't remember the name — for warmups and watching TV

Bulldog clip pinching for thumb — early days with this yet.

Powerball

Expand-your-hand bands and elastic/rubber bands for extensors

(I don't do all these grip exercises every workout, I do what I feel is needed, and what I fancy doing. It should be fun too, after all! This means that reps and sets vary enormously too.)

I usually do some sandbag carries with a 50kg afterwards, or some clean and press bag work for conditioning.

At the moment, this is a once-a-week event, working in a "dinosaur" type of fashion, although the grip work can be more often depending on mood and opportunity!

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated! 10 reps on the #1? Doable, I hope! And I do want that #2!! My aim is to get the #2 by 29th February 2008. There, I have said it!

aXe

cool... My main thing isn't grip but with this KTA program I'm actually spending more time doing this than my workouts... but thats only because I crossfit (high intensity strength training)... my grip goals are to increase strength for rock climbing, and for heavy lifts, grip for MMA is big too. I always like feats of strength that an average man can't do, and this board seems to be all about that.....

I always like feats of strength that an average man can't do, and this board seems to be all about that.....

... and so much more!

Well, there's nothing like incentive! I managed 10 reps on the #1 with my right hand on Wednesday! Not all grinding reps, and with a couple of 5-10 second pauses between some of the later ones, but it was 10 no set reps without putting the gripper down! Big thanks soldier for inspiring me! Just gotta work on the left now, and that #2 of course!!

I do it for the "feats of strength" thing too. I like the way people look at me when I tell them I do grip stuff. Like I am a bit weird. It's great!

aXe

Well done aXe, 10 reps is very solid. I reckon by the time you can manage 25 reps on the #1 you should be able to shut the #2.

thanks for the support guys!! It was hard, and like I say a little touch and go but I got there!

25 reps on the #1 eh Pete? Sounds a mountain right now but I'll have a go!

aXe

I did the 10X #1 in the right hand today.... my left hand aches likes its broken from the KTA regime.... I hit it fairly straight, pause readjust squeeze, repeat....

I waited a bit and tried the #2 and got just a bit closer than a cm to closing with right hand!

Well done soldier! I'm going to have to step up a gear I can see - you're very much closer to the #2 than me right now!

aXe

Mmm. Not so good today. Managed another 10 on the #1 with my right, failing miserably with the left. Like you Soldier, I have a lot of pain in the tendons in the middle of my left hand that is restricting me a bit on the left side. Still working on it though, so don't get complacent!!

aXe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Soldier

been off the grip for a while, training for a big cycle ride (http://www.justgiving.com/grahamscatandfiddleride) so my attention has been elsewhere! I did do some small grip work just to keep things ticking over, but noticed some quite bad pain in my left knuckles, between the first and second fingers. My thinking is to take it easy on the gripper-type work for a while, regroup with Dave Horne's basic/beginner girp workout (pinned in the workout forum I think it is) and come back in a few weeks and wup some a*s! We shall see.

aXe

• 2 weeks later...

I keep starting KTA and then getting about 2wks in then my hand feels like its broken, so i chill out for a bit recover and do feel stronger. but I want to keep going at it... less than a cm from closing the number 2.... but i think that is a long way away.

I just got my coc #1 a week ago and first time trying a closed it no problem, and proceeded whit 6 - 8 reps for three sets. After that I did 8 - 10 short reps (last 2 cm) for another 3 sets, then I hold it fully closed for 15 - 20 sec.

I plan to do this workout twice a week. Today I did the same as last time but finished with closing it for 30 seconds.

A think I be ready for coc #1,5 in a month... Then #2 in another 3 months, not for reps perhaps but et least to close it once!

Onviously I do both hands and I am equally weak/strong in both.

I'm not feeling much of the pain between my knuckles now although I am still away from the grippers, difficult though it is! I want to concentrate on the closing part of the gripper, the first "sweep" is ok, although I am only getting just beyond parallel handles with the #2 still. The Ivanko SG is good for this but the "Devil's Advocate" is obviously designed for the job! Good going soldier, nice to know I am not the only one with this pain problem at the "lower end" of the gripper ranges!

pbo, that looks a good workout to me. Hope you get the progression you want.

aXe

• 4 weeks later...

hi, friends,

i started gripping in october.

my first gripper was the coc 1, i had NO chance to close it.

after some work with the coc-trainer i can close:

coc 1 about 10 times, and the coc 1.5 3 times.

my next goal: closing the coc 1.5 10 times, then i will buy the coc 2.

Edited by unequipped

• 8 months later...

I have now closed the No.2 with my right hand 3 times..... the first 2 times it just feathered together and the third it made a big bad click..... with the left hand I'm about a 1/2 cm from closing the No.2

I haven't been training it that seriously but when i decided to play with a grease the groove style training so just hitting some singles a few times throughout the day It was maybe a week for me before i hit the No.2

when i can consistently close the no.2 I will buy a couple more grippers....

I got CoC grippers #1, 2 and 3 about a week ago. I closed the #1 with both hands first day and came within a cm from closing the #2 with my right first day. Just closed the #2 with my right last night. Still can't do 10 reps with the #1 with either hand but i'm working on it. Gonna let the skin on my pinkys heal for a couple days then get back on it. I'll check in every once in a while to report my progress.

You guys are doing great!

Stay with it!

Mighty Joe

I must have missed this challenge last fall...it would have been good for me :D If you want a race to close the #2.5, I'm game :blush

I just been reading some of your guy's progression good job that closing the #2 is a big step guy's keep it up. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I must have missed this challenge last fall...it would have been good for me :D If you want a race to close the #2.5, I'm game :blush

alright I don't own the No.2.5 but im up for it...... when I order it, i'm going to get the No.3 aswell.

So far I have closed the No.2 a bunch of times and I have just been able to do it twice in one day.... I need to get the left hand upto snuff.