Homemade Inch

MalachiMcMullen

Then perhaps this is more interesting:

http://www.heavygriptools.ch.vu/

I just agreed to buy one secondhanded, but otherwise I think this would be my second choice. I'm not that much of a favorite for home made if it costs just about as much ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalachiMcMullen

• Mitch1963

• maidenfan

• egg_uk

steve is an expert on this subject but the 2 dumbbells i made from yoek 10lb plates are the same roundness as the inch at its biggest Circumference and the handles are exactly the same size and fixed to the handle and they roll just like the inch that i still can't lift :blushhttp://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=4507

It seems then that the main issue will be the lack of mass in the handles themselves. All versions, other than those welded from stock steel in their entirety will have a different feel.

The 'balance' isn't what it seems it's just the sheer weight and feel of the object over coming weak thumbs. Hence the idea and thinking behind the Holle dumbbell.

It seems then that the main issue will be the lack of mass in the handles themselves. All versions, other than those welded from stock steel in their entirety will have a different feel.

The 'balance' isn't what it seems it's just the sheer weight and feel of the object over coming weak thumbs. Hence the idea and thinking behind the Holle dumbbell.

Ah, that makes sense. Right now everything is just hypothesis but when I get my DB's done I'm sure it'll "click".

Curious where you got the steel that cheap. the places I have been looking online have been much more

- Aaron

I guess the steel gods like me :) Nah, I work at a machine shop and my boss said he'd get some quotes for me, it'd be even cheaper if he ordered just 50-100lbs(he wasn't sure) more steel because of their discount system :)

This company is called Alro Steel Corporation out of Toledo, OH.

Just noticed too that I'm also paying a cut charge on the 8 and 6" rounds, if they had had some drop laying around the total price would be more like 360.

Nice, the 8" round I was looking at was over $33 per inch alone.

- Aaron

Aaron,

Just go to a scrapyard and find something that'll work - in my area scrap is still $.25-.30 per lb. When I welded up my 100lb hammer I found tons of round in the 5-7" range and a few mongo pieces. If you buy new or online, they'll rape you. I hate this board for threads just like this one - I'm going to have to make one now :angry:

For those interested in welding up their own "Inch" replica, heres the estimates for the size of steel you'll need (was bored tonight).

All of these dimensions include a 4" long piece of 2.5" CRS as a handle(~5.5lbs).

6" CRS - 2 x 10.5" long ends yield ~173lbs

6.25" CRS - 2 x 10.25" long ends yield ~181lbs

6.5" CRS - 2 x 9.5" long ends yield ~182lbs

6.75" CRS - 2 x 8.5" = 175lbs

7" CRS - 2 x 8" = 178lbs

7.25" CRS - 2 x 7.25" = 173lbs

7.5" CRS - 2 x 7" = 180lbs

8" CRS - 2 x 6" = 174lbs

8.5" CRS - 2 x 5.5" = 181lbs

For the Steve Gardener challenge bell - 8" CRS - 2 x 8" ends yield ~230lbs

Weights are obviously rough estimates rounded that dont include weld weights - HERE is a link if you want exact weights. Scrap steel in my area is about .25 - .30 per lb so you're only looking at $50-60 worth of steel.

Edited by maidenfan

Went out and found the steel today. I found a place that had the steel and is willing to weld it all up for me. I'm using two 8" long, 7" diameter crs for the ends and a 5" (ya, I know the original is 4") long, 2 7/16" diameter crs for the handle. Should come in at about 181lbs or so.

TOTAL COST = $97.00 :rock

Went out and found the steel today. I found a place that had the steel and is willing to weld it all up for me. I'm using two 8" long, 7" diameter crs for the ends and a 5" (ya, I know the original is 4") long, 2 7/16" diameter crs for the handle. Should come in at about 181lbs or so.

TOTAL COST = $97.00 :rock

i love this stuff :blush when you get it back if you take your time and use a MINI FLAPDISCS it will turn out real shiney and smooth and you can clear coat it or paint it but it will look professional

Thanks for the reminder Dan - a clearcoat would be cool, what do you suggest that would be durable and cheap? Would a clearcoat make the handle a tad slick, or should I leave that bare? Its supposed to be finished the middle of next week - cant wait.

Thanks for the reminder Dan - a clearcoat would be cool, what do you suggest that would be durable and cheap? Would a clearcoat make the handle a tad slick, or should I leave that bare? Its supposed to be finished the middle of next week - cant wait.

leave the handle scratched up the hand chalk helps it to stay sort of not rusty i have a cold gym with space heaters and my stuff it ok i used plastic coat clear spray paint on my stuff like that the only bad thing is if left in the sun it will turn yellow ish

i made a loadable inch bell in a couple minutes, an pricing everything up, it cost me exactly nothing, just used stuff i already had - took my rolling thunder handle, taped it up at each side with masking tape to make it solid, took the handle grip off an old dumbbell handle, put the thunder handle over the top of the bar that was left, locked it in with a couple metal locks, then taped the handle to the locks with more masking tape, an it was done - all you need to do then is make sure you lock the plates in tight when you load em on, an you can always tape them too if you cant get em tight enough to stop it rolling >feels just like the inch, only real difference is the handle is a bit smoother

My homemade inch project is on track to be finished on Monday. Would've finished it today but I had an accident involving a disc grinder and my LH index finger so it had to be postponed :blush

Anyway, expect a post Monday afternoon with pics!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

nice, hope the fingers heals up

Thanks, just a flesh wound! Right through the skin, muscle showing, the works :D

Pictures....I need pictures. :D

Yeah, REALLY sorry for the wait. I'm ready to get them and take pictures but they aren't totally finished yet. I'm no welder and since it'd be really hard to get rid of weld spatter on the handles and inside edges of the bells with a grinder my boss offered to weld them up. I know it wouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes for him to weld them, me to clean them and get them home but he's a procrastinator :rolleyes Yeah I know, I'm blaming someone else here. They were ready to be welded on Monday, he said he'd weld them up either Monday or Tuesday. Well I called him before my 2:30 class and he said Wednesday :whacked I figure if I go in early tomorrow he'll have them done. Sorry for the wait though, I know I promised Monday and didn't deliver so all I'll say now is "by the end of the week, hopefully Wednesday".

I don't know the exact weights either but I do know that it was a real pain in the... hauling the ends of the big bell around the shop.

Zach, I picked mine up today and started another thread. Post yours there or start a new one so we can all see it - I'm anxious to see how they turned out.

Zach, I would mark the center of each end of your dumbbell and drill 3" deep with a 27/64" drill bit. Then I would put the dumbbell in a bandsaw and saw off 2" from each end. Then take the 2" pieces and drill them out to 1/2" or 33/64". Then tap the dumbbell 1/2"-13 to 3/4" depth. Then you would have a dumbbell that would weigh approx. 173lbs. and would also be able to bolt the 2" pieces on for the BFDB. Just an idea.

Zach, I would mark the center of each end of your dumbbell and drill 3" deep with a 27/64" drill bit. Then I would put the dumbbell in a bandsaw and saw off 2" from each end. Then take the 2" pieces and drill them out to 1/2" or 33/64". Then tap the dumbbell 1/2"-13 to 3/4" depth. Then you would have a dumbbell that would weigh approx. 173lbs. and would also be able to bolt the 2" pieces on for the BFDB. Just an idea.

I was thinking of something similar. That was a running idea I had when I saw these pics in the gallery

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=3827

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=3826

I may end up doing that but it's going to take me awhile as anything that I do to these DB's has to be done at my work.

I picked up the DB's today, they're in my dad's truck as of now so I'll get pics up after 4ish!

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the BFDB and it's little, not so intimidating cousin.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6369

Finally recieved my bells and got some pics to post! The big one should be around 200 right now and the small one I'd have to guess is anywhere from 120-150ish. 2.535" handles, made from solid HRS rounds. I didn't include a pic of me lifting either bell because... well they're really heavy and akward! I have a much better idea of how hard the actual Inch is to lift so BIG kudos to you guys who've pulled it!

Those turned out awesome :rock I'm already wanting another one. I may drill and tap the ends for 1", removable tabs so I can load standard plates to the ends. Are you going to take yours to John's grip contest - I'd like to see somebody pick that big one up.

Edited by maidenfan

Those turned out awesome :rock I'm already wanting another one. I may drill and tap the ends for 1", removable tabs so I can load standard plates to the ends. Are you going to take yours to John's grip contest - I'd like to see somebody pick that big one up.

I'm planning on bringing it to the BBB3 yes. It's going to be a pain in the arse loading it on and off though. I certainly underestimated these big bells. I knew they were hard and that lifting one was a great feat but I couldn't fully appreciate these things until I tried one. I'm willing to bet that Chad and Jedd may be able to move it, lifting it may be another issue all together. If your bell is a full 1" thinner than my big one and is still 180lbs I have very little doubt I may have accidentally created an MDB replica :blush Now I see why people who lift something like the Inch can crush a #3.

Mitch has a great idea though and I'm certainly going to act on it and so should you! Of course you'll be going in the opposite direction and adding weight :laugh