Homemade Inch

MalachiMcMullen

I posted this same thing on grippermania and Autolupus was kind enough to do some math for me, Thanks! I want an inch bell but I cannot afford it, however I do have a welder, 2 1/2" and 6-8" HRS round laying about and the means to cut and mill them SOOOooo... What I'm going to do is cut them into the proper dimensions(I know the inch has a 2 3/8" handle but oh well I don't have that stock) and weld them together. A 4" piece of 2 1/2" acting as the handle and 8" round cut to 8" lengths and rounded over like the old york bells(think of it as a really big or "super york" bell). Now comes my reason for posting, I have never seen an inch bell in person unfortunately so I need the help of some of you Inch lifters(or MDB lifters)!

Would a dirty old DB like the one I'm proposing be just as hard to balance and roll just as much as the real Inch?

BTW This bell, according to Autolupus' math, would weigh in at about 186lbs so it'll be 14lbs heavier than the inch and I will also make one with the 6" round.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalachiMcMullen

• Mitch1963

• maidenfan

• egg_uk

I have two homemade Inch handles. One is made from 1 7/8'' plumbing pipe with the handle section made from a piece of PVC pipe 4'' long and 2 3/8'' diameter. The other is made from steel pipe with two inch ends, and a 2 3/8'' handle section. I also have collars that will lock the plates in place and prevent them from rotating on the bar. Both bars feel the same to me and want to twist out of my hand. Using just machine shaft collars that do not prevent the rotation of the plates, I feel no difference.

good luck, id like to see a picture of it when its finished

Count on it! But give me a few weeks, I'd be doing this at work and we're kind of busy right now but hopefully before christmas it'll be finished and ready to taunt my pants off :D

I have two homemade Inch handles. One is made from 1 7/8'' plumbing pipe with the handle section made from a piece of PVC pipe 4'' long and 2 3/8'' diameter. The other is made from steel pipe with two inch ends, and a 2 3/8'' handle section. I also have collars that will lock the plates in place and prevent them from rotating on the bar. Both bars feel the same to me and want to twist out of my hand. Using just machine shaft collars that do not prevent the rotation of the plates, I feel no difference.

Alright, just what I'm looking for! I figured since I have access to steel I might as well use it and get as close to a solid cast bell as possible.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Yes, it would roll and balance similarly because it is solid. I've been toying with the idea of making a lead inch DB and just paint over it to avoid the dust. I figured it out once to have a DB that weighed the same as an inch it would have to have 7.36'' globes (this is just the globes, the handle, if pipe, would add a lb or 2) Wouldn't be hard to do, lead melts over a camp fire. Just make a mold of some kind and drop a pipe into the molten lead and let it cool and repeat for the other side. Might be a problem to get everything aligned right but it's possible

Yes, it would roll and balance similarly because it is solid. I've been toying with the idea of making a lead inch DB and just paint over it to avoid the dust. I figured it out once to have a DB that weighed the same as an inch it would have to have 7.36'' globes (this is just the globes, the handle, if pipe, would add a lb or 2) Wouldn't be hard to do, lead melts over a camp fire. Just make a mold of some kind and drop a pipe into the molten lead and let it cool and repeat for the other side. Might be a problem to get everything aligned right but it's possible

That's what I figured, a solid bell would be more kin to the real deal and now that I'm thinking it through the bell I'm gonna build will be heavier than 186 because it will have a larger solid handle and the ends wont be globes they'll be bigger.

A lead bell would be neat AND totally safe except for the toxic gas melting lead releases! So long as you had a respirator it would be fine though.

Just a thought, if anyone else wants one(keep in mind I have yet to price it out, I may have barely enough for one) I could bring a few completed ones to the next MGC? They could be lighter if you wanted also.

A solid "homemade" Inch dumbbell is a "home project" to be proud of :tongue

Looking forward to seeing the picture, this sounds like a good idea to cut down on the $$$

Zach, that would be a cool project but if it were me I would turn the 2.5" round down to the true 2.38". A 4" long handle would only take a few minutes to do. You have me wanting to build one now! I work with Solidworks Solid modeling software and I just modeled it without the globe ends and it came out to 4" long handle 2.38 Dia. with 8" dia. ends would need to be 5 7/8" long and the weight would come out to 172.53 lbs. Add in the welds around the handle and it would be very close to the 172 lbs. 9 ounces. Good luck and keep me posted!

Zach, that would be a cool project but if it were me I would turn the 2.5" round down to the true 2.38". A 4" long handle would only take a few minutes to do. You have me wanting to build one now! I work with Solidworks Solid modeling software and I just modeled it without the globe ends and it came out to 4" long handle 2.38 Dia. with 8" dia. ends would need to be 5 7/8" long and the weight would come out to 172.53 lbs. Add in the welds around the handle and it would be very close to the 172 lbs. 9 ounces. Good luck and keep me posted!

Ah thanks! If only my cheap(free) version of auto cad had that feature! I'm actually hoping to build a bell heavier than the inch by alittle bit and another bell around 135-150lbs.

• 4 weeks later...

Homemade Inch revisited. Ok, I've got 16" of 8", 6" and 2.5" HRS round to play with now and I had a last minute thought. Should I offset the ends of my smaller bell(135lbs)? Would it matter do you think? I was thinking about this because it would take more time because an offset hole can't be made in our lathes. What I'm worried about is the imbalance, I've heard a few Inch lifters talk about how hard it is to balance and if the weight of my bells falls in a straight line would it be easier to lift than one with something like a 1/8-1/4" offset? If so then I have the question of how much to offset.

BTW, total cost for me is 421.83 and that includes shipping. Split that and my homemade Inch replica's cost me 210.92 a piece, I remember that Sorinex used to sell them for 375ish(?) so I think I came out on top :)

Have you had a go at an Inch to compare it to? If not the last sentence needs changing...

I don't think there are too many people better to talk to about the Inch than you Mobsterone! is it as off balance as I hear people say or would just a solid bell with the handle welded on center be sufficient you think?

Homemade Inch revisited. Ok, I've got 16" of 8", 6" and 2.5" HRS round to play with now and I had a last minute thought. Should I offset the ends of my smaller bell(135lbs)? Would it matter do you think? I was thinking about this because it would take more time because an offset hole can't be made in our lathes. What I'm worried about is the imbalance, I've heard a few Inch lifters talk about how hard it is to balance and if the weight of my bells falls in a straight line would it be easier to lift than one with something like a 1/8-1/4" offset? If so then I have the question of how much to offset.

BTW, total cost for me is 421.83 and that includes shipping. Split that and my homemade Inch replica's cost me 210.92 a piece, I remember that Sorinex used to sell them for 375ish(?) so I think I came out on top :)

Curious where you got the steel that cheap. the places I have been looking online have been much more

- Aaron

Curious where you got the steel that cheap. the places I have been looking online have been much more

- Aaron

I guess the steel gods like me :) Nah, I work at a machine shop and my boss said he'd get some quotes for me, it'd be even cheaper if he ordered just 50-100lbs(he wasn't sure) more steel because of their discount system :)

This company is called Alro Steel Corporation out of Toledo, OH.

Just noticed too that I'm also paying a cut charge on the 8 and 6" rounds, if they had had some drop laying around the total price would be more like 360.

I wouldn't offset it.

I figured it'd be hard enough without offsetting it but I want to make sure, since I've never tried the Inch, that it would simulate the Inch as accuratley as possible.

I don't think there are too many people better to talk to about the Inch than you Mobsterone! is it as off balance as I hear people say or would just a solid bell with the handle welded on center be sufficient you think?

I'm not sure what you mean by off balance?

- Aaron

I guess the steel gods like me :) Nah, I work at a machine shop and my boss said he'd get some quotes for me, it'd be even cheaper if he ordered just 50-100lbs(he wasn't sure) more steel because of their discount system :)

This company is called Alro Steel Corporation out of Toledo, OH.

Just noticed too that I'm also paying a cut charge on the 8 and 6" rounds, if they had had some drop laying around the total price would be more like 360.

Nice, the 8" round I was looking at was over $33 per inch alone.

- Aaron

Just thinking since I want one as well, wouldn't this be something?

I can pretty easily make a hollow loadable one. Problem is I want a solid cast one. I even found a source for hollow steel spheres and hemispheres already. The mechanics of lifting a solid one are still different than a hollow one unless you can somehow completely fill the hollow one.

- Aaron

This must be my lucky day!

Just agreed to buy one, hopefully I can pick it up soon ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by off balance?

Well, I always heard that when pushing it overhead(I know I know, I wont be doing that for alittle while still) that it was very hard to hold up because it's center of gravity is not straight through the handle. I don't know if that makes sense or not. Again, I've never used or felt a solid DB, let alone the Inch so i'm going purely by what I've heard. After thinking about it I don't think I'll offset it at all, perhaps what I heard about imbalance was because of the handle length?

Besides, when i take it to BBB I'm sure one of the guys there could tell me the difference in feel

The imbalance that you refer to is probably just how it feels when it wants to roll out of your hand when you try to pick it up. I would not want the shot filled ones because if it wasn't full the center of the mass would work to your advantage...cheating...