Ahhh,vince,tch,tch,tch!!!!

blueshadow

I was surfing MSN Communities today and decided to check out Vince Basiles' Grip Strength board and" lo and behold" I discover a somewhat less than flattering reference(s) to our beloved Gripboard!! Seems our old friend Vince is a bit "miffed"

at us using words such as comical,vain,etc! He claims that he hates grippers because of their springs(What happened to the opened mindedness you so eloquently advocated on this board Vince?) He goes on to say that we are being censored by our moderators,hear that Wannagrip,Tom Black and the rest of you mean ol' censors?! :D  Accordingly Vinces' integrity has been so "impugned" that he states he will no longer post here! There is lots more Please check out his site on MSN! Come back Vince do not cease posting because of some misunderstanding I believe the majority of us welcomed and respected your input! I think that post where you tell some guy to soak his hands until they are nice and soft as right after washing dishes is hilarious!!! :D  :D  :D . Yeah right I could just picture myself soaking my hands in Ivory before a brutal work out!!!! :D  :D  :D  No offense intended but the thought of it really is humorous!!   Live Long and Prosper Vince! :D  :D  :D

I forgot to mention that Ol' Vince never mentioned it on this Board but he goes on to say that grippers are machines because they have "moving "parts or some similar statement! :0  :D

The one thread that was closed went off topic for this board and was getting LONG. That's the only reason it was closed.  

He can continue to have conversations with himself over at the MSN thingy...no one had time to read his long posts anyway.

My sentiments exactly,Roark! His whole post has this feeling of hostility and derision towards us. He seems to be mocking us because we work out in garages,basements etc and not in gyms! He insinuates that we all buy grippers because they are cheap and we cannot afford his $ 4000.000 machine(yes he finally told us what it costs!). And finally he is offended because he invited some of our world class athletes to his board and none of them accepted! Whew!! Is this something or what?! It's like a Jekyll and Hyde transformation occurred in  our friend and boardmate Vince Basile!! :0

What is wrong with Vince? I just read his articles and I think he is completely different to what he writes here.

Thanks for the link FuelCrusher.

Home gym and grippers rule!

James

Guest Dimitri

I had to check out Vince's site......WOW.I'm not sure really about his censorship rants,but it seems he's genuinely upset because everyone here didn't hail him as the "world champion gripper"he claims to be.His negative views on Ironmind and PDA products are almost comical........I mean who in their right mind is going to spend four grand on the super duper Vince contraption,when other(maybe superior???)grip tools can be purchased for twenty bucks??It's a shame he can't put aside his egomaniacal babbling because some of the things he posted here were interesting and intelligent.

Vince is trying to form a weak analogy between his pinch lifting on his machine to many on this board closing a #3 gripper “machine.”  Trying to garner our respect for a “feat” in which we have no point of reference.

What is next?  Once his crush machine is created, will he close 621 Inch-pounds on it and claim the crush World Record?  Will he refuse to attempt the #2 gripper at that time because it is an inferior “machine?”  Will he attempt the #2 in private and wonder why he still can’t close it, like he probably did with 2x35 pound plates? Come on Vince, you must have a least been curious to try real pinching, for your own edification.  One can only wonder now.

For what it’s worth, I think the grippers are closer to free-weights because the leverage points (i.e., handles) are not fixed to a pivot point that is mounted to something else.  The handles are essentially “free.”  A common attribute of all weightlifting machines is that part of the machine is fixed to a point that it pivots around.  It doesn't matter if you characterize it as a machine or not, this is simply a label.

Greetings Dimitri and happy Holidays,

As for ol' Vinces' censorship rants I feel wholeheartedly that there is no basis to it whatsoever! There is no reason for our moderators to pick on him and censor only him,if his post was lost it no doubt was accidental. As for the grippers being better than his contraption, there is no doubt. Imagine being a gym owner or individual dishing out 4 grand for his machine then spend another fortune buying Ivory liquid (dish soap) washing your hands turning them soft and silky smooth before an attempt at the infernal contraption!!! :0  :0  :D  :D  :D

This is a free country, he has a right to his opinion. Not sure why he is so upset maybe he can't close the trainer! The coc grippers are a portable, cost effective, fun way to train crushing grip, and yes I enjoy training pinchgrip and other forms of wrist-hand-training also.  :)

The sole member on Grip Strength is a gentlman named Kevin who goes by the moniker of KJM, he seems like a decent sort, and according to him has some grip toys he uses often. I wonder if he is also a member of this board?

Guest woody36

If you read the topic "World records in pinch lifting" Vince

mentions using plates for pinching back in 1968.

And comes up with a respectable figure of 108 pounds, i

presume with one hand as he mentions both Sorin and

Bruce White's lifts.

Guest kINGPIN

I hated seeing that thread closed and thought that it going on too long is not a good enough reason but, the fact that it strayed away from the question that was asked was a valid reason to close it down.  It is always a bit rude when someone starts a debate in your thread and I appologise for taking part in that one to the person who started it but that was one debate I was not staying out of.  Free weights vs machines is just simply no contest (machines have their place but vince was making out that they were better).  

I have to say that I did like some of vinces posts as they did give me some things to think about but I felt that he often started arguments that he cannot win.  Exchanging views is what this place (and the whole web) is all about, lets not forget that.  Unlike most, I do wish he would still post here as it offerered a different perspective to training but I feel he went against the tide sometimes just for the sake of arguing (in debates where there is only one winner).  

As for his article where he stated that 'gripping was a small subculture' or something like that; who cares!!!  I like the fact that nearly no one where I live trains there grip.  He tried to make out that we are all no-bodies because no one in the public knows what an inch dumbell is; who cares.  I don't train my grip so I have something to talk to my girlfriend over dinner!!  I don't go to bed at night whispering sweet nothings about the gripinator!!  

I will never be famous for my imense grip but it will be nice to know that my hand strength is better then the average man and that my hands will not be the limit as to how much I can lift.

Guest kINGPIN

Thanx for the link fuel crusher.

I feel that vince is contradicting himself a little.  He states that that gyms have not always got enough money to buy top equipment and then goes on critizising people who train at home!  gym equipment has to be a lot stronger then home stuff for the simple purpose that people do not treat gym stuff with the respect that they would treat there own.  I will never bench 200ks and so do not need a £1000 bench.  My gym has a power rack, bench, seperate dip bars, oly weights, standard weights, a chin bar and all the grip stuff I need under one roof.  To warm up I use a skipping rope in the fresh air of the garden.  I never have to wait for equipment, i only have to walk down the stairs and out the door and I am there, I never have some fairy asking me questions as I set my self up in the squat, I never have to justify using microloads on the bar.....when someone can provide a gym like this I will happily sell all my equipment.  In all my gym must have cost me around £1000.  I intend to train hard for the rest of my life, how many years of gym membership is that?  The most I will ever have to buy in the future will be a couple of 20k plates to add to my set.

Grippers may not be as good as a grip machine, we are not stupid!  We just don't want to pay extortionate fees for something that will give similar results.  This is the old argument he started saying that the muscle does not know where the resistance is coming from, what happened to that theory.  The spring does get harder, so what, if you can close the #3 three quarters of the way then I would say you had a strong grip.

Theres my TWO takes on this.

:D

Todd you are correct he did come across as a "jerk" but more so as a "know it all". Ol' Vince is a nice enough guy ,though his main objective on this post was to sell us on his machines and therefore garner personal gain and/or publicity. You cannot blame a person for attempting this but I believe that he underestimated the intelligence,experience and knowledge of those on this board! He expressed his personal opinions as though they were proven fact and would argue the point endlessly in his posts. He did take the closing of that certain post personally though. I myself hated to see that post closed but that is the reason we are assigned moderators who make certain the subject is adhered to. Granted I enjoyed most of his posts if they did not become novels, :D ,

but often It seemed as if he was condescending and arrogant in his remarks(just a personal opinion). Individuals with this kind of charisma tend to attract the attention of almost everyone within earshot and can be quite convincing in their beliefs and/or convictions. Thanks Gripboard for the opportunity to vent! Hope I did not bore you all to death!

JJ

Agreed Kingpin,i believe that when his intentions were exposed and his plan(s) fell through he became bitter and decided  he would no longer bestow his grace upon us with his wisdom and knowledge however misguided they may be! I believe this is all I care to say about the man. I know it may seem to some that I am denigrating the man when he is not present but remember he is the instigator in this discussion!

JJ

Just checked Vince's website and he reminds

his readers that all this grip chat is after all

just a subculture within a subculture, and he

is, of course, absolutely correct, most people

don't know an Ironmind gripper from a PDA

gripper, and do not want to learn that difference.

So what?

I do not know the first thing about Rugby but

I hope anyone who cares about it fares well.

It is a rule of writing that the more specific you

become in your detail, the more audience you

lose. A general overview will appeal to Reader's

Digest, a microscopic examination will suit Iron

Game History. Again so what? Kim Wood mentioned

the grip board to me in passing. I had never heard

of it, so I checked it out; I have found a place

with like-minded folks, and frankly I couldn't care

less if added up we would populate New York City

or Smallville, USA. I am here for the camaraderie,

and to learn from those who are more advanced

than I.