Steve Gardener does 276 on the Rolling Thunder!

Bill Piche

Guest StrongerthanArne

Very impressive. Maybe you should consider coming to Sweden in March when David and Elizabeth are going to compete in the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge. One of the events is the Rolling Thunder.

Very very impressive!!! Thumps up, Steve! :D

I saw the picture! A brutal thick handle gripstrenght!

Guest 77-1005097254

Steve. Amazing!!!   I have been really impressed with your pure grip power. Its nice to see you receive the credit you deserve. Very well done!!!

Michael.

Steve offers the following regarding the lift:

Performed Aug 9, 2002 at a bodyweight of 246 pounds in

Manchester, England at a gym called 'Flex and Tone' (so

appropriate for Steve, don't you think :D )

Witnesses were the gym owner, Mike, and the photographer

Darren Sherlock of Manchester, Keith Gallick of Belfast, and

Doug Taylor of Arlington, Texas. Probably some other onlookers took a notice also, but these men can verify the

feat.

Lest someone accuse me of doubting Steve, which I do not,

all feats at this level should have such documentation, so

that 20 years from now some researcher has steps to retrace.

How I wish we had such about Inch.

Anyway, Steve, congratulations, and please send us the

names of the witnesses who will verify that RT 300 pounds

when you reach it, and reach it you will!

see Steve's correction below, feat was Aug 9, 2002

Yes the gang were together for darren's wedding the day after (sorry Roark feat performed on Friday 9th, wedding on 10th - I was tired yesterday - another late night celebrating). We have been teasing Darren about his somewhat less than hardcore gym name for ages. We arrived at about 6.15pm and the lift was done shortly after.

Keith Gallick, whio has never tried it bebore did a good 100 kilos at 258 pounds bwt. When I have allowed others a go 60-80 kilos has been good.

I have done 123 kilos plus handle etc which adds a pound and of note (re formulas etc) is the lift was 30 pounds over bodyweight. Most of the big RT lifts have been done by 270-300 lbs bodyweight lifters.

Very impressive!

Does anybody know how large Steve Gardners hands are?

They look pretty big at that picture, it looks as if he can get his hand completely around the handle.

By the way, how many here have the rolling thunder and practise on it?

I got mine a couple of weeks ago, my best result so far is 72.5 kg in weights. Do you do singles? holds? reps?

I got a rolling thunder in April and practice about once a week on it.  At first i just went for max weight, but have since switched to doing about three sets of ten reps. I have gotten  165 pounds right and 147 left.

I noticed in the picture and a few other of RT lifts that the lifter used and underhand grip as opposed to an overhand which is the style i have used.  Does anyone find that one is much better than the other. Anyone have some good tips for Rt training

Mines an overhand grip. An underhand grip is where the hands form a 'hook' shape. Randall doesn't recommend this as he thinks with 100kilos plus it could roll out of your grasp and onto your toes. Plus its more of a test.

Hands: yes mine are biggish (I take a size 10 glove) but they look pretty ;) I can almost touch my middle finger to my thumb when wrapped around the handle.

I do very low reps and train on it once a week but as has been said elsewhere am good at thick handled stuff.

Reps/sets/holds etc: here's my typical w/out. One rep with 80 kilos, one rep with 100 kilos and one max rep. No specific warm ups or assistance work. I do these prior to the partial deadlifts and after a 3 min bike and 2 min whole body stretch session. Holds: only if I feel I 'just' got a weight and was about to drop it. For example in the picture I looked up at the camera after the shot was taken and was yelling 'y-e-a-h!!' for a few seconds. When I did the 123 kilo plus lift I barely lifted it up and had to put it down pretty quick.

Now wheres the picture of Baldy...?