Some Impressive Newbies

John Beatty

John,

I noticed a guy I tried to show the DO style wanted to drop down lower too. He said he felt like he couldn't bend anything up high like that. Only this guy was doing a G2 that way and had a really hard time at it but man he fought until he got it. Very competitive guy.

Tell them to keep at it. They'll probably be to bastard level pretty quick.

Tim

John,

I noticed a guy I tried to show the DO style wanted to drop down lower too. He said he felt like he couldn't bend anything up high like that. Only this guy was doing a G2 that way and had a really hard time at it but man he fought until he got it. Very competitive guy.

Tell them to keep at it. They'll probably be to bastard level pretty quick.

Tim

Yeah a lot of bigger guys are like that. that's how my dad bent his G5 and I'm trying to teach him the higher position at the moment. It's because bigger people lack shoulder flexibility do they can't comfortably get up that high. Tell him to stretch out his shoulders and try to bend easy stuff in the high DO position. They'll get it down soon enough.

These guys weren't really big guys. I'm used to being the smallest in the crowd (by 3" to 8", and 50-100 lbs or more) at 6' & 250. These guys were taller than me but quite a bit lighter. So, long & lean. I'd have guessed the younger guy would have easily taken down a grade 8, the GR5 went in about 20 seconds with not a lot of effort. I think he was 20-21 years old.

These guys weren't really big guys. I'm used to being the smallest in the crowd (by 3" to 8", and 50-100 lbs or more) at 6' & 250. These guys were taller than me but quite a bit lighter. So, long & lean. I'd have guessed the younger guy would have easily taken down a grade 8, the GR5 went in about 20 seconds with not a lot of effort. I think he was 20-21 years old.

I wish I could bend a Grade 5 my first time bending! In fact I still can't bend a grade 5 but I'm a DU bender. Congratulations to the newbies, job well done! :mosher

Its funny to see the exact same debate going on at a completely different form (Powerlifting, I'm talking about).

Where do you draw the line between what is strength and what is just equipment and/or form?

Who knows. I'd say you only have enough equipment to keep you safe (hah, whatever that is) and just enough form to make the feat possible.

Its funny to see the exact same debate going on at a completely different form (Powerlifting, I'm talking about).

Where do you draw the line between what is strength and what is just equipment and/or form?

Who knows. I'd say you only have enough equipment to keep you safe (hah, whatever that is) and just enough form to make the feat possible.

Always Raw! I couldn't care less what anyone else does but I'll leave the wrist straps and bench shirts to guys who care about world records.

I don't understand why it's only the DO style, that gets the critique of beeing not so grip related ("just a crushdown"). As far as I know some people can use the folding style also with a DU grip (Martin Kotte, Mike Hadland? Gary Hunt?). In my opinion also the reverse bending technique is not just wrist and grip strength. What the shoulders and the chest are with DO style, the biceps and the triceps are with reverse style. If you have strong arms you can crush down a nail with reverse grip.

Florian

Nice post it really does piss me off when people continuesly refer to the DO style as folding like to see em try and fold a Fantastic shiny or KOASB bars :D afterall its only soft stainless and the last 1/4inch is the hard part right.

Ever since gavin and Pat populated the DO style its been critised and referred to as folding is that the style or the wraps being used thats to blame or both.

Certain people when there wraps are critised say ok beat us at are own game thats fine by me but lets also see it the other way lets see who can bend with small/medium wraps and also barehanded.

I like to use a Bruce Lee proverb "I am no style but i am all styles" :D