What After Hg300?

rolf

With finally consistently closing my HG300, the gripper ranking thread tells me I'm at or above a COC #2.5. I'm shocked! I thought I had a worse grip, although that HG300 is admittedly done with a deep set (almost parallel). So, what should I get next? I can only easily get RB's and COC's. Should I go with something like RB210 or jump straight to COC #3? Of course, I can get both.

Well since the Hg's are notorious for varying a lot! Its hard to say what level you're really at. Have you closed a COC#2.5? Grippers around that level included BBSM , RB210, RB240N/260N. If you have a hard HG300, then a no.3 will be a good jump, if its like the HG300 that i tried, the #3 will be a huge jump for you.

Well since the Hg's are notorious for varying a lot! Its hard to say what level you're really at. Have you closed a COC#2.5?

I haven't tried a COC #2.5. Actually, I was thinking I should get one of those before I checked out the ranking thread. An RB 210 also crossed my mind.

Edited by rolf

Getting a #2.5 would be a good idea, it will give you a good idea of what level you're really at then after that you can pick a suitable RB gripper.

I just put in an order for a COC #2.5, and also a #3 while I was at it.

The COC's just arrived. Straight from the box, the #2.5 is pretty close to my HG300, maybe a bit tougher. I seasoned and oiled it, so we'll see when my next gripper workout comes.

The COC's just arrived. Straight from the box, the #2.5 is pretty close to my HG300, maybe a bit tougher. I seasoned and oiled it, so we'll see when my next gripper workout comes.

I don't mean to sound all mobsterone here, but why would you season it and oil it? Why not close it at full strength instead of cheating to make it easier? Just wondering.

I don't mean to sound all mobsterone here, but why would you season it and oil it? Why not close it at full strength instead of cheating to make it easier? Just wondering.

How is seasoning a gripper cheating? It happens anyway with use, so if you don't season it before starting, some of your perceived gains are actually just seasoning over time. It's not like I'm going to just attempt one close at it, I'm going to train with it. BTW, the seasoning consisted of 30 chest crushes in three sets of ten.

Also, I fail to see how oiling a gripper so it doesn't creak is cheating. Not that I need their confirmation, but even IronMind themselves state that oiling is not cheating in their FAQ regarding COC's. They even list oiling as normal maintenance in the booklet that comes with the grippers.

Edited by rolf

How is seasoning a gripper cheating? It happens anyway with use, so if you don't season it before starting, some of your perceived gains are actually just seasoning over time. It's not like I'm going to just attempt one close at it, I'm going to train with it. BTW, the seasoning consisted of 30 chest crushes in three sets of ten.

Also, I fail to see how oiling a gripper so it doesn't creak is cheating. Not that I need their confirmation, but even IronMind themselves state that oiling is not cheating in their FAQ regarding COC's. They even list oiling as normal maintenance in the booklet that comes with the grippers.

Ok, I've just never heard of that "technique", I still don't believe in it but to each his own I suppose. It depends on how much you oil it, if it's a drop, no, if it's a gallon, yes. Didn't mean to offend, just stating my opinion. Besides IMs don't really season any but a few pounds with regular use.

Why not just try and close it out of the pack instead of seasoning it? If you wanted a gripper that is easy why not buy a #2 instead of a #2.5. The 'rednecks' from gripperhell did an experiment on this and found that chest crushing make the gripper a reasonable amount easier and also reduced the spread. 30 reps chest crushes is going to season it a lot more than normal usage, say attempts, singles, doubles or triples.

Fresh out the pack an IM gripper doesn't need oil. I oil my older grippers as a form of maintenance. IM suggests this - you are right.

30 reps chest crushes is going to season it a lot more than normal usage, say attempts, singles, doubles or triples.

I get your point, but it was in sets of ten. I doubt sets of ten spoil a gripper. I would say sets of ten qualify as "normal usage".

Fresh out the pack an IM gripper doesn't need oil.

Mine creaked.

I need to clarify this creaking thing: In my limited experience, all grippers creak a bit when nearly closed unless well oiled. That's because the spring is pulled unevenly. Anyway, the point of closing a gripper is fighting the strength of the spring, not friction.

Edited by rolf

If you wanted a gripper that is easy why not buy a #2 instead of a #2.5.

Because I can already close a HG300. What kind of a question is that? While you may find a #2.5 too easy after 3x10, it certainly isn't easy for me.

I just did my first workout involving COC's. The #2.5 is a tad bit tougher than my HG300. I didn't try the #3, as I didn't think it worthwhile to humble myself too much this early. I now feel like I can some day actually CCS a #3. :cool

One thing I changed according to the COC booklet was I switched to CCS style. I've done deep-ish sets in the past. It appears I'm very close to closing the HG300 this way, and not far off the #2.5. With my HG's, a CCS is actually no-set.

I finished off with Rolling Thunder and IronMind Hub. My hands hurt good now.

Edited by rolf