A brief report on the iro grip comp

mobsterone

Guest 77-1005097254

It was a very good competition with some amazing lifts. Jim's vertical bar lift was incredible!!. David's amazing all round lifting, he is in a class of his own. Kalle's very strong and certainly kicked my butt. Elizabeth for being so young and strong with unlimited potential. And yes, she is a cutie!!!

I agree with Mobster that Martin is one to watch and if he could attain the intensity and aggressive focus that David shows when competing then big things will happen.Steve as always makes very heavy lifts look easy!!! The thick bar champ!!

I also had a try at the dynometer and i think i got 80kg which is very poor. I must have the weakest no3 ever or the dynometer is just different? All i can say is, having tried it is Steve you are the "Dynoman"

Kalle is the King of the stone and deserves the title because that is one monster of a stone. Personally i was gutted that i could not lift it on the day but at least i gave it my all!!!

I was impressed with all the overseas guys and Arne is a gentle giant!! What a hand shake, as he smothered my puny hand with his big paw. A real "Gentleman"

Thanks, David and Elizabeth fo all the hard work and giving people something to look forward to.

Cheers.

Michael.

Michael makes an important omission in his post: he talks about everyone but himself and yet he put in some great performances and has bettered his lifting considerably since last year. He is very quiet and unassuming, but very strong and I'm sure he will only improve. It was a pleasure to have you and Sheila at the contest.

Elizabeth

Seconded/Ditto. MD is v strong.

Knowing that I wouldn't win this year I too came away with some big lifts at the comp compared to gym/home training. I felt the best example of this for me was the TTWC with 154 full range being a 308 TTWC.

Some great photos I have - I'll scan them in and forward a few to wannagrip

Guest StrongerthanArne

Michael,

Arne has a dynometer which I and Joakim Palmqvist have tried several times. My result was usually about 10 per cent better than Joakim's. In spite of this he could do about three reps with a gripper I could just close once. In other words, there is not a straight forward correlation between grippers and dynometers. Another guy was a bit stronger than me on the dynometer but could barely close a double stamped #2.

StrongerthanArne,

That is something I have suspected for awhile. Perhaps

Nathan Say or Barbender could explain the physics of the

matter. Does the dynanometer 'fight back' like a gripper,

or is it more like squezzing a bathroom scale?

I knew that this may well be the case. Indeed I am sure DH mentions this in his grip course. It's just a means of measurement. I, for example, closed Gazza's PDA gripper rated at 296 pounds which should be more than a 280 rated CoC No: 3. It was far easier than mine.

All I know is I got the highest reading and have shut all the threes I have had chance to have a go at.

It seems as though there are two types. One which uses a pressure plate (like that which was used to guage the Atlas gripper machine). This will feel static or will barely move and the second type will use a spring or spring and lever/pendulum (like most scales).

However, as we have seen John at PDA admit, the spring guage is a very hard one to get the resistance 100% accurate on.

I would suggest then, as with most scince level tests that at least three readings are taken and also that the testing machinery is gauged as best as one can with weights as well as a squeeze.

Well, I've just arrived home a short while ago.  Although my clock tells me it's about 9.00p my body is certainly telling me that it's 3.00a (Wednesday morning England time).  I'll have to readjust again in time for this coming Saturday.  As I'm quite tired forgive me if I ramble  :blush

First, I want to say that I had a great time.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, was very kind and I couldn't have asked to meet nicer people.  I want to thank Paul Marsland and David Horne specifically for their wonderful hospitality and generosity.

The dinner with many of the competitors on Friday night was a great time.  The contest on Saturday was a great challenge.  And the hangover on Sunday morning had me pretty well knackered!  Although I had pretty good reason to save my energy for a couple of strongman comps I have coming in the next two weeks, I don't think I would have been much use lifting anything on Sunday morning anyway with a hangover like that  ;)

Some of the lifts on contest day truly were incredible and I learned an awful lot for next time.  Jim will be toying with the Blob on any day that he's fully recovered.  He did get it to his waist in a fully erect position but couldn't control it at the top.  After what he did on Saturday who could blame him?  Michael Daly's right, Liz is a real cutie  ;)  Wow is she tough!  Loads of potential and I can't wait to see her get stronger.

There's tons more to write but I'm really tired and my monitor keeps getting dimmer and dimmer.  I'm not sure, but I think that it's just my eyes getting narrower and narrower  :p

Yeah, now I'm rambling...

Later on.

BC.

Brian, you're a cool guy and it was great meeting you. How some of you guys, BC included, found the energy got 2nd and third attempts on the inverted grippers was beyond me.

Now remember no drinking in my room till 5am next year and maybe you'll pick up the blob too ;)

Guest 77-1005097254

Mikael. I feel the dynometer and the grippers are different as well. Roberts Dynometer does not move very much and seems almost static like "bathroom scales" like Roark mentioned. It is also adjustable and when i reduced the distance closer to the closed gripper position i felt my squeeze increasing. I am not sure if i had it in my strongest position.

I do think its a great grip toy and i feel it could perhaps be used in some future grip comp?

I am no expert on dynometers but i think that 117 and 124 on this one is "VERY" good.

Maybe training on a plate loaded grip machine with the parallel

handles working all the fingers equally, would be the way to improve on the dynometer?

Michael.

The video was good exept for little poor colours. I think that it depend on the light. I haven't got the pictures yet. Maybe on Friday: