A brief report on the iro grip comp

mobsterone

I'm sure, as and when dave et al are rested, that there will be a full and detailed report but... Phew I know I'm knackered. Some amazing lifts. I can't wait to post some photos up

Yes it was a great day.  I think it's fair to say that in each event there where some outstanding performances in all the classes.  I'm sure Steve will get 'round to telling you about his huge 3 1/2" dumbbell lift when he's more rested.  The thick bar maestro was certainly on form yesterday ;)

Jim's so modest - he's raised the bar again on the Vertical bar Lift and david did the same on the table top wrist curl. Plus I had a go on the RB Dynometer. Apparently no one had done over 120 kilos before...

I will post the results hopefully tomorrow. After 3 days of organising, picking up athletes, lifting, coaching, refereeing, recording and generally making people feel at home I'm absolutely knackered. I just can't keep awake anymore, so I'm off to bed. Quickly before I go, the competitors from abroad, Arne and Kalle from Sweden, and Brian and Matt from the U.S. were absolutely great folks! Thanks to them, and all the others for coming, and making it a special day.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Dave and Eliz for organising such a fantastic event.  

Its always great meeting new faces but Arne, Kalle, Brian and Mark are genuinely nice people and great competitors!  I hoped you enjoyed it as much as we did... sorry about the weather though and Dave's idea of a top Stafford night club is a bit dodgey!!! (Im sure Brian will let you all into the joke at some stage!)  

The competition itself was truly competitive.  All 3 sections were hard and those who won the engraved grippers truly earned it!

David won the open section with Jim Wylie second and hot on his heels Eliz Talbot 3rd.  No easy feat at the best of times but when you consider Dave and Eliz organised the event, commentated, judged, lifted, demonstrated, worked out the scores, laid on the catering and model host’s, its truly incredible.  Lets not forget the competition started at 11am and finished at 9pm!!!!!!!!!!

The open section was won by Jason Horne, second was Richard Scott and by just 1 point Ed Homers beat Arne!!

In the novices, newcomer Andrew Christy piped 15 year old Oliver Horne to second spot by just 1.1 points and Wazeem came an excellent 3rd.

Highlights of the day included torn skin left right and centre on the 2 handed pinch grip, a world record 243k 1 handed vbar from Jim Wylie (who got such a roar you could hear it reverberate round stafford!) a 302.5k world record table top wrist curl from David Horne, a world record 3.5" deadlift from steve Gardener (well done mate....king of the thick handles! :)

and Eliz easily mashing a #2 for the crowd.

Equally impressive was the head to head inverted #2 gripper timed hold with Brian Carlton going a staggering 40 seconds only to be beaten by a 43sec squeeze by David Horne.  Some colourful words were exchanged on the way to Dave getting a $50 prize kindly donated by Randy Strossen and the grandmother of a 10 year old lad wasnt too pleased. we didnt mind though Dave!

Oliver Horne lifted out of his skin!  for a 15 year old lad at his first EVER contest in front of 30+ people, video cameras etc.  it was an amazing performance.  Also I'd like to say how impressed i was with Andrew Christy and Waz.... again first time contestant and they turned it on when it counted.

Kalle and Daves' Hammer curl challenge was a crowd pleasure but there was only one winner.... with arms THAT BIG Kalle you did it for SWEEDEN !! :)

And at the end of 10 hours lifting, to pull a record 3.5" deadlift out of the bag was fantastic achievement by Steve mobster Gardener.

NEWSFLASH

Rumours abound that Jim Wylie lifted a 50lb York 'blob' one handed the day after the event and big Kalle Lane showed whos the daddy when it comes to rock lifting...... Dave/Jim, can these rumours be confirmed????

P.S  As for me (if anyone’s interested) Im battered, exhausted, in pain, dazed and very, very proud.  not only to be part of a fantastic experience but to know i did my best. and that’s what competition is all about!

I CANT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT ONE!!!!!!  what a buzzz  (and the pics should be available in 10 days time)

:D                  :D             :D

I can confirm the BLOB was lifted. We were trying this, a 27 kilo rock ( I wasn't going anywhere nar that), the 2 hand Inch deadlift and farmers walk and the dynometers, lever lifts with well over 16 pounds lowered to the head nd more.

Anyway, myself and Jim had a go at the Blob and it was having nothing to do with it. We were trying to wedge our big paws down as far as poss until I noticed that by hooking the thumb over only as far as the 1st joint (and Jims hands are long) you could get your fingers - spread nice and wide mind - further down towards the centre. Thus it worked and he got it first. I'll have it when fresh another time.

On the Baraban Roberts dynometer I managed the highest so far ( I was told that BR had managed the most to date with 120). I hadn't adjusted the space on the handles earlier and when it was done  pulled 124 kilos right handed. :)

Kalle pulled the 227 kilo rock with Michael Daly and Dave Horne both in their. There was some attempts with a 140 kilo barrell and more...

Yes Scott.  I just about managed it.  I lifted it a few times from the floor before getting it to about knee height (I think Arne got a pic of that) but it wasn’t that easy.  Everyone was really tired after the previous day though.  I know that Dave will also lift it as soon as he’s had a chance to rest.   Dave’s been passing 3 x 10kg plates between his left and right hands for a while now; his thick pinch has really come along.

Thanks to all who are reporting the details of

this competition, and for the photos to follow.

So long as you guys are involved, we can count

on fairness and accuracy, and thus secure history,

from this competition. That is no small feat in itself!

Right, I'll type up the results from the 2002 British Iron Grip Champs. Ill put the final lifts, final total and position.

A= Two hands pinch lift

B= One hand vertical bar lift

C= Table top wrist curl

D= Inverted CoC gripper for time. #2 for open, #1 for intermediate and trainer for novice.

E= Seated hammer curl

F= 3 1/2" Dumbbell deadlift

OPEN  

A      B     C      D        E    F     Tot        

1st David Horne   115k 183k 280k 43 secs 75k  68k   734.47

(302.5k extra attempt)

2nd Jim Wylie      92.5k 243k 220k 34secs 72.5k 68k  634.3

3rd Eliz Talbot      70k 135.5k 170k 14secs 42.5k 48k 571.45

4th Michael Daly  92.5k125.5k 150k 35secs 65k 60.5k 540.86

5th Mart Whittred 80k  108k   110k 40secs 60k 48k    507.4

6th Kalle Lane      100k 138k   200k 28secs 80k 68k    496.11

7th Brian Carlton  82.5k 113k  185k 40secs 60k  53k   490.24

8th S. Gardener   90k   120.5k 140k 26secs 70k 83k   446.04

9th Marc Wylie     85k   143k  150k  11secs 55k 48k   396.38

10th Rich  Vizor   60k   78k     90k     x        x     x     150

I'll do the other classes later.

David

Intermediate results

A        B        C         D      E      F     Tot

1st Jason Horne   80K  135.5K  160K  24secs  55k  53k  497.65

2nd Richard Scott 75k  108k   155k  79secs  67.5k 53k 472.67

3rd Ed Hommers   65k  115.5k  130k  41secs  55k  53k 435.12

4th Arne Persson  70k  135.5k  150k  28secs  70k  63k  433.52

5th Gary Hunt    75k  115.5k  115k  38secs   55k 55.5k 419.29

Novice

A      B     C       D       E      F     Tot

1st Andrew Christie 72.5k  128k 150k  56secs  55k  53k 491.12

2nd Oliver Horne     60k  118k  100k  61secs  40k  43k  489.96

3rd Waseem Chauhan75k 135.5k 137.5k 80secs 50k48k 471.82

4th Faheem Chauhan80k 135.5k 150k 53secs 60k 65.5k 458.91

5th Scott Essery    65k  118k  135k  75secs  45k  48k   440.38

6th Louis Wilson    70k  113k 140k  60secs  55k  48k    408.01

7th Paul Patterson  65k  103k  100k  84secs  50k  43k  376.07

8th Ian Marsland    60k  138k  125k  49secs  50k  x     297.8

9th Matt Makousky  75k  108k  120k  51secs  40k  x    283.31

For bwt I was most impressed by Martin in the open class. Last year he won his class by virtue of attempting his No3 gripper and was allowed to enter. Low he wins. This year places 5th in the open. Eat more, get bigger and he could be one to watch.

Now that I know how to do the hook grip on the V-bar and the TTWC properly I'm gonna add some weight to those lifts - but not today. Phew!

Mobsterone,

What is the length of your 31/2 in. dumbell that you train with?

Specifically, the handle itself without the loading pins and the overall length with the loading pins.

Do you have an opinion as to the best length the handle should be?

Looking at this comparison; example: the handle being 5inches long would make the load (plates) close to the hands.

Now lets compare with a handle that is 10 inches long. The load now being further from the hands, would it be much difference in training effect?

Thanks.

I don't have a 3.5 inch handle and almost never ever use a hooked grip as we did just Saturday.

I have one thick handle in the form of the 2.5 inch handle - lightly knurled - from Pullums. I also have the RT handle and thats it.

The trick I showed a few meant that handle length isn't that importent. Hook or cup the hands as per all recommendations for thick bar lifts where the hands wont go round. Keep the opposit side to the humb well against the plates (stops the first one revolving) and allow a slight tip forward. Loads odf chalk. That's it.

While I can remember what happened on Sunday I'll try to note it down here in order. Please remember that all these strength feats were performed the day after a contest which lasted 10 hours! On this sunday morning most were tired, had skin loss or were hungover, or all 3!

78KG on an Inch (2 1/2") handle

David Horne tried continentalling it to shoulder, got it to his waist a few times.

Jim Wylie deadlifted it, and I think Arne got it halfway. Don't think Steve had a go. Brian and Matt sat and watched all the stuff.

227 1/2kg stone (now called the 'Kalle' stone)

After about 5 attempts of getting the balance right, Kalle lifted it up about 2" all over. Everyone else failed, but Michael Daly made a valiant attempt.

140KG barrell to shoulder

Richard Scott nearly dislocated his knee when he fell backwards with it. The best attempts were from Kalle and Michael who both got it to chest height. Probably less whisky is needed Michael!

Clean and press Inch handle

David Horne and Kalle Lane worked up to 60k on the 2 1/2" handle. Kalle had to continental the dumbell and push press it. David cleaned it and pressed it.

Clean and press a 50k grinding wheel.

Michael Daly did 2 reps I think

Kalle Lane did 2 or 3

David Horne did 12 reps

York 50lb blob

Jim lifted it about 3 times, the best lift was to a full standing position. Considering how tired he was I think he will be toying with it soon.

Leverage bar to head

David finished off with about 12 1/2 -15 kg.

Two Inch handles with 78k on lift and walk.

Jim lifted the two dumbells but that was it. Steve didn't.

Robert Barabans dynamometer

Steve did 120k I think, after David squeezed 117k.

I think this is all. I'm sure there will be other reports.

On Robert Barabans Hand Dynanometer,

David Horne did 117kilos right handed.

Steve Gardener(Mobsterone)did 124kilos right handed.

Big Steve was the thick d/bell king 90kilos on the 3.5 d/bell.

David Horne was the wrist curl king.

Jim Whylie was the Verticle bar and blob Daddy.

Big Kalle Lane was the stone king and some serious pythons.

Big ARne Personn was the hand crushing champ.

Loved every minute of it,the British Grip Champs ROCKS!

I take it you're hooked then Garry :).  It was a great weekend from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.  More like a 'grip festival' than just a grip comp ;). I'd be keen to have a go on the dynamometer when I'm fresh.  Will you be attending the iron grip records day later on in the year? Perhaps you could bring it then?

I certainly am hooked Jim.

Try and stop me comeing to the next comp,cannot wait.

I am sending the dynanometer to Nathan Holles tomorrow,so that he and his brothers,and maybe Chris James can have a play,with it!

When i get it back,i will send it to you,so you can have  another blast.

I think you need to slap 10 pounds,on the blob,as it looked to easy for ye!

Hope Daves idea,takes off,Intercontinental,bring it on BABY!

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed there time at the contest. I'm even getting letters from some of the spectators saying how much they enjoyed the day. I now can't wait to go over to Sweden in March, it will be a blast!

David

David and Elizabeth!

We (myself, Kalle and Linda) would like to thank You for this exceptional weekend that me, Kalle and Linda spent in your home in Stafford and for being part of the gripchallenge competition which we enjoyed enormously.

Thank You!

Arne Persson :D