Who Is In The Money For The Mgc?

Bob Lipinski

sounds good to me. looking forward to what the KOABs calibrate at.

- Aaron

Thanks for helping out Eric! I've been bouncing my ideas off Eric since he is one of the guys who "wrote the book" on bending.

I have done the best kink type tiebreaker since my second contest. In the first contest, quite a few guys mashed one piece of steel, then had a hell of a time on the next. I thought that the kink on the harder steel would be a better measure in strength than a few seconds difference on a submax bend.

Was dealt a pretty heavy blow earlier today. I've been demoted at work with a significant pay reduction. I know everyone says this, but there really wasn't a valid reason. Petty personality conflict. Well, anyways, now I'm scrambling to straighten out my finances and will be unable to attend the contest as a result. I'm very sorry I can't make it. I wish everyone the best at what surely will be a fantastic event with incredible performances.

Bob, I'll of course still help in any way I can with the bending, and will send the 635 pound bars your way when I get them cut. Sorry, man, maybe next year.

Damn, that's too bad Eric.

Also, Chad Woodall is unable to make it due to work trouble. We've lost a couple of good competitors, that is too bad.

Very sorry to hear that Eric! That sucks man. Know exactly how that feels too. Hope it gets resolved in your favor soon.

I haven't heard anyone ask this question so I will: What will be the range of 7" stock available to the benders? Will there be any 1/4" CRS, Stainless, and maybe some other inbetweener stock on the way to the 5/16" CRS? I tweaked my shoulder again (DU this time) and have actually held true to my statement that I'd bend DU from here on out. I intend to bend DU at the contest and want to know what's under the Bastard if I'm not able to bend at the Bastard level by that time.

So far, it looks like:

Timber tie

1/4 round

Easy 60d

Grade 5

Grade 8

1/4 square

Maybe some slightly easier 5/16 stuff

Bastard

Hex

Edgin

3/8 bolts

KOAB

So far, it looks like:

Timber tie

1/4 round

Easy 60d

Grade 5

Grade 8

1/4 square

Maybe some slightly easier 5/16 stuff

Bastard

Hex

Edgin

3/8 bolts

KOAB

Bob, will there be shorter ones of those as well, or can we cut them down?

Aaron

Edited by acorn

There will be shorter ones there, and we can cut them down as necessary. I'll bring my bolt cutters.

5/16" Shiny Stock?

Would fill in the gap between hex stock and Edgin's.

Cool, thanks for the list Bob. I was under the impression that we'd be limited only to 7" stock. That's good news then.

Shit, I didn't mean to give that impression- It is just that we are following the 7" rule. If you want to go shorter, go for it!

I am up in the air about Shiny stock. Basically, Eric told me that shiny stock is mostly just a test of the crushdown and isn't as uniform a test compared to the other stocks.

Shit, I didn't mean to give that impression- It is just that we are following the 7" rule. If you want to go shorter, go for it!

I am up in the air about Shiny stock. Basically, Eric told me that shiny stock is mostly just a test of the crushdown and isn't as uniform a test compared to the other stocks.

Bob i have to disagree with you and eric there is it not CRS that folds once you get it moving so in affect creating an easier bend wereas as mentioned the stainless is harder on the crushdown i thought the piont of an unbraced bend was to bend the steel until its 2inches or under between the legs so in affect the shiny stuff will provide a better/harder test as the bend aint no good unless its 2inch or under or is it now a case of who can bend the fastest CRS piece :D

sounds like the shiny stuff is a breeze then till say 90degrees if thats the case how many people on here do you reckon can put an insane or fantastic shiny to 90degrees or a 9mms,3/8",or 10mms shiny again to 90degrees :D

The same could also be argued for alot of drillrod as that starts of soft then like stainless it ramps up i think personally that stainless and drillrod are a much better test of ones bending strength most people fail a PR bend on the crush rather than the kink so it makes sense to train the crush harder so you can once you get the bar moving crush it and as i pionted out especially on certs and i would assume comps that the bar has to be put under 2inches to be a legal bend.

Is this comp promoting the fastest bender or allround bender there is a difference somebody that has an explosive kink may be able to blast into a piece of crs and keep it moving even able to crush it as the crs reacts to heat better than stainless but they might well fail on stainless because they fail to crush it does this then make them a better bender.

I train almost exclusivallyon stainless simply because its a harder bend to finish which in turn makes me a better bender i also use drillrod when i get the chance for the same reason and the edgins and big g8s also provide a better fight than standard CRS now i am not rubbishing anyone that only bends CRS but look on the lists why are the stainless bends ranked higher for the same length also look at how many have certed with it compared to CRS and thats obviously not cause its an easier bend how many at the comp would be able to take down a Huge Shiny Bastard or lower compared to the same in CRS.

I agree with Gazza. I can melt a bastard fast in IM pads but can put a dent in a shiny stock with leather. This must tell you something.

Plus even though the main test of the stainless is in the crushdown, if you don't get it moving fast from the kink you won't have a chance to get there. I guess it really depends on if a lot of competitors are going to get stuck there or not. It could be hard to compare or do scoring for if some people bend hex that's a little bit shorter and some try the stainless.

Edited by AP

I agree with Gazza. I can melt a bastard fast in IM pads but can put a dent in a shiny stock with leather. This must tell you something.

The FBBC stainless calibrates at about 100 pounds higher than the Bastard. This would explain your trouble kinking the stainless.

My original point was that contesting both crs and stainless in the same event of a contest could net misleading results. On the other hand, a contest consisting solely of stainless would be pretty cool. But if a stainless and a crs bar both calibrate at the same poundage, the stainless will be much tougher on the final stages of the crush. I guess the idea was to try and maintain a comparison of apples to apples.

Gazza, no other human is gonna be able to even kink some of the stuff you play with, and certainly no space aliens could touch your crushing prowess. A 800 pound stainless bar is just that, but the crush of that bar would be equivalent to something like maybe a 900 pound crs bar's crush.

My theory is, and it's only a theory, that most benders would have relatively little difficulty kinking stainless bars that would stump them on the final 1/4" of the crush. I tend to think crs tests the average benders abilities fairly equally throughout the range of motion. My kink is a bit a better than my crush, so maybe I'm biased. It's an interesting subject for sure.