Who Is In The Money For The Mgc?

Bob Lipinski

I think it is $400 now for the bending championships at the MGC? I still have $350 on the website, but with guaranteed entries so far we can count $400.

Anyone wanna brag up their shot at getting the money?

As it stands now, I think Ben, Eric, and Aaron will likely be going KOAB or bigger. Dark horses are Beatty, Thorton, and Jeff Flynn. They don't post as much about what they bend, but usually come out of nowhere with nice stuff. Thorton especially scares me, cause he can do some wacky shit under pressure.

Dammit, I can't forget Josh Dale. As far as the overall comp, Josh, Thorton, Woodall, and Klein are my favorite. Ben could do something special if he wants to.

http://powerandbulk.com/ushandstrength/mic...ripchamps5.html

Great cash prize.

I think it'll be (not necessarily in any order) Josh, Aaron, Eric, John Beatty for the bending. I am going to hope for an Edgin at that point with my shoulders as they are. But they're good for some shorter bends, which of course doesn't help me at all at the contest. It'll be neat just to watch the carnage though. I'm not training the other stuff so I'll leave that up to the other monsters to fight over.

I think bending is going to come down to Ryan vs. Aaron, especially if guys start giving out form tips during the event. I would guess Ben has done more work on dialing in bending form than anyone that will be at the contest. Eric is probably a close second. If they share that knowledge in person with tall guys who are freaks of strength, there is no telling what will go down.

Thanks Scott, i'm waiting on the mri results of my shoulder but i think i will be good to go. watch out for Ben Edwards

I have to talked to Bob first but it will be over $400 easily

Yeah watch out for Ben, he's a natural sandbagger, what with being retired and all :)

I'm making good progress toward my goal of the edgin and I just hit a nice little braced pr. Bit-by-bit but I'm pretty sure the money is safe from me.

Yep, that money is likely to go up. I just want to make any promises I can't keep. Likely will update the prize money by the end of June.

I'd like to go Ryan, Aaron, and Dave Thornton. I won't get enough training in, I never do, but I'd like to get a KOAB moving. Ben is a freak & could easily come out on top. Eric is a pioneer & super strong, so who knows. Josh is also superman at contests. Dave's been pretty quiet for a while, so who knows.

I'd like to see 3-4 KOAB's bent.

Edited by John Beatty

My goal is to get into the top 5 in the bending and stay uninjured. Anything better than that would be icing on the cake for my first grip comp. As far as the KOABs I think its gonna depend on the stock. If its that nasty stuff I got in my last order no one but gazza would be able to bend it. Is any of the stock gonna be calibrated before hand?

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

This is set to be a bending world spectacular, cant wait for it to happen.

As for who will win I think its going to be between Aaron and Ben.

I appreciate the consideration, but I wouldn't place any money on me to get a KOAB bar. I'd be happy with a 6.5" Edgin or something slightly tougher than a 7" Edgin. I know there will be atleast a half dozen guys there capable of doing tougher bends. I'm looking forward to the friendly compettion for sure!

Aaron and Eric put down some huge longer bends, and I would consider them as frontrunners.

However, unless Patrick changes his mind, I wouldn't be too suprised if anyone mentioned so far took the bending.

There's gonna be some sick steel bent at his meet! Who's going to win - wow - it's impossible to say - so many guys have bent almost identical stuff so far in training. A year ago - a KOAB would have won easily, now I'm not so sure there won't be more than one bent at this contest alone. No one is talking much about the overall contest because of the level of bending expected but it won't surprise me to see some other huge lifts done in the other events as well.

I agree with Aaron, it just depends on what stock is there regarding the KOAB's. Aaron, Ben or Eric will win the bending, just depends on who's having a better day. Depending on what stock is there, it wouldn't surprise me if all three took down KOABs.

In the overall contest I'm going with Chad unless a very large man with multiple tattoos from New Mexico shows up. :whistel I think Aaron will surprise a lot of people in the overall; he's got pinch and he can hit some big grippers too.

I know everyone is in a tizzy over the bending but I'm really looking forward to watching the V-bar showdown!! Chad, Ryan, Dave, Ben, possibly Jedd, and don't forget Eric, who's pulled some big numbers....reeee-diculous!

I can't wait, I booked our hotel last night.

Overall I would say Chad is the favorite, but you can definitely never count out Dave Thorton. I think Ryan Klein and Josh have the potential to upset.

Also- Ryan and I have talked a little, and now the steel prize is up to $500 for first.'

I would love for Pat to show up, do something unreal, and take the money.

About the overall contest-

Last year, heat and humidity killed the overall numbers. This year we have window AC units and I will bring more fans. The heat took me by suprise last year.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone...and excited about a strong competition :mosher We have about 7 weeks to go :mosher I wish everyone safe training and safe travels.

Chad

The heat was rough last year. I'd been thinking about what I need to do to train for it this year. Glad to hear about the air conditioners.

Come down & train in my shop, Scott. sometimes 110 degrees inside with just 1 fan. Train like you will have to compete is our motto (like we have a choice). Most strongman shows are a little warm in the summer on blacktop.

The heat was rough last year. I'd been thinking about what I need to do to train for it this year. Glad to hear about the air conditioners.
Edited by John Beatty

I agree with Aaron, it just depends on what stock is there regarding the KOAB's. Aaron, Ben or Eric will win the bending, just depends on who's having a better day. Depending on what stock is there, it wouldn't surprise me if all three took down KOABs.

In the overall contest I'm going with Chad unless a very large man with multiple tattoos from New Mexico shows up. :whistel I think Aaron will surprise a lot of people in the overall; he's got pinch and he can hit some big grippers too.

I know everyone is in a tizzy over the bending but I'm really looking forward to watching the V-bar showdown!! Chad, Ryan, Dave, Ben, possibly Jedd, and don't forget Eric, who's pulled some big numbers....reeee-diculous!

I can't wait, I booked our hotel last night.

I agree with you about the V-Bar - bending I can take or leave but the possibilty of a 400lb v-bar is there at this contest.

I just want to keep all the benders in the loop with regards to bending stock at the contest so all can customize their training accordingly. Right at the moment Edgins and sections of 3/8" grade 2 bolts without the heads will be available, as well as KOAB bars. The 7" bolt sections calibrate at 635 pounds (I measured three of them at 625, 635, and 645). So, unless we can come up with something to bridge the gap between the Edgins and the 635 bolt sections, the better benders may do well to focus on 6.5" and 6" Edgins if a KOAB or a 635 pound 7" bar is out of reach. Keep in mind that Edgins have hit 565 from one batch and 585 from another. I'll be calibrating some Edgins and KOAB bars from FBBC when they arrive at my house and will post the results.

Also, something that Bob mentioned to me is the idea of breaking ties by awarding the win to the bender who attains the greatest degree of bend with the next heaviest bar. I like this idea. So, for example, if two guys hit a 6" Edgin but neither can fully bend a 635 bar, but one guy gets 30 degrees of bend with it while the other guy gets only 20 degrees of bend, the guy hitting 30 wins. Thoughts?

like it. Very good idea.