Beginner's Workout

J-Dawg

Hey guys, first post here.

I've had weak grip for as long as I remember and it hindered my lifts in so many ways. I can't deadlift, DB Press, etc over a certain weight dur to my grip and wrist. It's time I start thinking about my grip/wrist strenght seriously and I stumbled across this site. After reading a couple of pinned threads, I will start my workout with the beginners workoout that was pinned. My question is how many times a week should i perform it, and for how long should i stay on that training before moving on to something new? And when i do, what should i do? thanks!

2-3 times a week and as with any other routine, as long as you're still making gains stick with it.

And when i do, what should i do? thanks!

Just my $0.02 (since few others have responded yet), but I'd say, after you've exhausted the beginner's, move on to:

Actual grippers, for volume (that is, a hard gripper for you that you can close, but barely, and do many singles throughout the day, a few times a week).

Lever work (take a sledgehammer or a loadable dumbell or a pipe & add weight on one end), do front levers, hammer curls, rear weavers, etc, (do a "search" on "lever exercises" etc).

Hex blocks (take a York or some other fixed dumbell, start with about a 30-50 lb dumbell; saw off one end, giving you about a 15-25 lb "block"). Do Farmer's Walks, timed holds, curls, and try to toss & catch it back & forth between each hand.

As for what replaces Reverse Curls, I'm not sure. Perhaps try to pick up large, unwieldy boulders using the "Bear Hug" Deadlift?

Oh, and picking up sandbags or other heavy, unwieldy bags are good too. Also, thick barbells & dumbells (2" to 3" thick) for rows, curls, cleans, etc. And even wrapping a towel around a barbell or dumbell or something else & making it so heavy that it's a struggle to pick it up, great for the grip. Also, wrist rollers & thick-bar wrist-rollers.

Edited by TelegraphKey