What would you rather do?

Mjoynt

77 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather do?

• Clean and Press the Inch Dumbbell
    • Close a #4 gripper

I'm not sure if a poll like this has been presented before, so I apologize if something similar has been posted.  But, I thought this would be interesting anyways.

Pressing the Inch DB certainly requires greater overall body strength.  To me, that translates to functional strength for  life in general.

#### - I'd wanna do both but clicked on the 4 as I'd be the second to do that if I did as opposed to the 3rd to put the Inch overhead (Inch - poss, Chris James, Mark Henry)

How many guys have successfully lifted the Inch?   ???

How many guys have officially closed the #4 gripper?   ???

No contest.  I pick closing the #4.  Probably more difficult, when you take lots of things into consideration.

This brings up a very interesting book, called "You Can Compare Apples To Oranges" by Dale Harder.  He rates lots of things according to degree of difficulty, how many have tried a particular feat, etc., etc.

What do you think he rates as probably the greatest grip strength feat of all time?  The answer would probably shock you.

I believe Mark Henry was the first and only person to have cleaned and pressed the Inch Dumbbell with ONE hand.

So far only Joe Kinney has OFFICIALLY closed the #4.

One of the greatest feats of grip strength (and total body strength) of all time, in my book, is Hermann Goerner's one-hand deadlift of 727lbs.  Simply amazing!

Cleaning and pressing the inch DB. Reason being if I could press the inch dumbbell (172 lbs) with one arm then that means a two-arm press with 340 lbs would be doable and would probably mean I could jerk 500+ lbs. I have miserable upper body pressing strength but pretty good grip strength  so I would pick having great upper body strength over closing the #4. Currently I can't even press 90% my own bodyweight (180 lbs).

Yep I think Mark Henry is the first officially to pick it up, not touch the body on the way, settle it on the shoulder and get the bugger overhead all with one hand. Chris James 2 handed it up the body, used his free had to get the bell 'right' when it was at the shoulder and then one handed it overhead.

BTW he has push pressed 400 lbs to give the other poster a mark to aim for.

The 172 replica is a known quantity. The #4

can vary considerably in resistance.

Mark Henry, the only man in history to one hand

clean and put the Inch overhead has also closed a

#3 with each hand, upright and inverted. It is not

a dream to assume he could reach the 4.

Joe Kinney, the only man to have mastered the 4,

would have been unlikely to have conquered the Inch

one hand all the way.

There are quite a few grip trainers with hopes of going on to closing their #4, but who is even training to clean and overhead with one hand an Inch replica ?

Old Guy,

Not many are training for one hand cleaning the Inch bell I'd guess, because to do that you'd at least have to be able to lift the darn thing off the ground with semi-authority.  But I'd venture to say that the number of people with a real shot of closing the #4 within a year's time is similar to the number of people who could clean and press the Inch bell in a years time (not just on this board).

I voted for the No.4 even though I can bareley close the Ironmind No.1!!.

Didn't Joe Kinney have 2 inch replicas ? i also read on this board he could pass them from hand to hand. Considering his body weight I think this is pretty good. And also any one can get a No.4 there only $20, inch replicas cost $260+ . Don't get me wrong what Mark Henry did was awsome but for a man of his size that dumbbell is just a toy for him. Even though people say 4's vary in hardeness (my 3 feels like a rock!!) there is still only one man who has closed it.

Just my 2 cents

Mac

imagine being able to clean & press the inch w/one hand & close the #4 with the other .........at the same time. :crazy

thats what i would pick....in the mean time i'll keep slugging away toward my #3. :p

Guest Christian

Rather than picking the feat based on what recognition you would get and all the other junk, why not pick the feat based on your own personal goals?

I, would personally rather close the #4.  Even if it is less translatable and most people wouldn't know what I was talking about if I said what I did, for me, it would be the most rewarding.  Also, since my lower back is messed, I don't think I'll ever even try to clean and press any sized dumbell.  But that's not even the main reason.

Sure, the Inch dumbell is impressive and something everyone (who has ever lifted...) could realize the difficulty in, but  the #4 would give me the most self satisfaction.

:)

Guest baldy
but who is even training to clean and overhead with one hand an Inch replica ?

Heath should be, the way he tossed 118 to his shoulder like a toy the first time he tried cleans on his insanely slick Inch plate loader.

I don't recall anyone on this board even doing a full deadlift from the floor with an Inch replica. Some have broken it a few inches from the ground. Maybe John Wood who has held one in each hand can do a full deadlift with one.

No one has but I KNOW I could easily. Confident, maybe ;) If Jim W and David H have been practising I suspect they could to - no probs

mobsterone,

I suspect you are accurate about the 3 of you being

able to- but until it is in fact done, it remains in the

probably column, not the achieved column.

More so if we have no access to copies. This is a seller over here called Stan Pike. I may be able to, success etc allowing, to either buy one or persuade Stan to bring one to and allow me at a replica. In fact I'll email him now and ask if he'll attend the grip comp.

Here's his fitness site. Theres also a blacksmith site too

www.intensefitness.co.uk

Anyone who can deadlift it (the Inch DB) off the floor one-handed deserves true credit!  I tried, and all I could succeed in doing was spinning it on the floor.

BTW... is anyone going to take a guess at the question that I raised?  Roark, do NOT give it away!  :)

We're in the process of getting a cast for our own dumbell made up. The handle will be slightly thicker (at 2 1/2") and it will weigh a bit more (possibly 80 1/2kg). We are considering the possibility of making a range of differing sized dumbells. We are trying to get one done for the grip comp, no promises though!

David

Cool!! If you can get it and they use one to make it keep the pattern/mold for yourselves as it should be yours. If they use a differing means to make it - cest la vie.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Youngguy

I would rather clean and press the inch dumbbell, because it is a legendary feat of strength.

Although Kazmaier and Mark Henry have done it.

The #4 still remains to one person, or not.  Maybe Brookfield can do it in his training, but no one knows.

Anyway the inch dumbbell is probably the most more significant feat of hand and body strength.

Only Mark Henry has cleaned the Inch; Kaz

used the continental.

There will be several people who train using the

easier continental on their ways to cleaning the Inch.