2007 Gripmas Carol

climber511

Chris, I've never tried a calibrated gripper. Will be able to try the actual contest grippers prior to starting the event to see what we need to open up with. I'd hate to waste one of my three attempts on a sissy gripper.

Eric - the short answer is yes, you will. We'll have them laid out with the chokers on them in order of difficulty on a table, they will have a tag on them showing the poundage - plus of course you can still see the ends of the handles. As an example, there could possibly be three COC #3s in a row - labeled 145# 150# 155# - or easy, medium, and harder 3s. No doubt you have a good idea of what you can close already - all you will have to do is narrow that down with a few squeezes beforehand. And remember you can go up or down on your attempts.

Awesome!

I've discovered I'm much, much better at these choker closes. They've made grippers fun for me again.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• EricMilfeld

• MalachiMcMullen

• nickr104

Chris, I've never tried a calibrated gripper. Will be able to try the actual contest grippers prior to starting the event to see what we need to open up with. I'd hate to waste one of my three attempts on a sissy gripper.

Eric - the short answer is yes, you will. We'll have them laid out with the chokers on them in order of difficulty on a table, they will have a tag on them showing the poundage - plus of course you can still see the ends of the handles. As an example, there could possibly be three COC #3s in a row - labeled 145# 150# 155# - or easy, medium, and harder 3s. No doubt you have a good idea of what you can close already - all you will have to do is narrow that down with a few squeezes beforehand. And remember you can go up or down on your attempts.

Awesome!

I've discovered I'm much, much better at these choker closes. They've made grippers fun for me again.

I really thought a long time before finally deciding to do the choker for Gripmas. Several well known big gripper closers I talked to said they close bigger grippers without a choker and of course many were the other way - it really seems to come down to how strong a set and if you can manage to sort of "keep it moving" as you take off the setting hand it seems. Yes, we are only going from parallel to closed but there will be no questions about the depth of set, use of the off hand etc. I think in general, most will close a slightly tougher gripper this way - but not as much tougher as many think, I imagine. At the least, it will give us all some additional data to work with for future competitions and training. With all the talk of how grippers - even of the same poundage - feel different - I have found that with the elimination of the set and using the choker - the poundage seems to match the "feel" very closely.

With all the talk of how grippers - even of the same poundage - feel different - I have found that with the elimination of the set and using the choker - the poundage seems to match the "feel" very closely.

That's actually very interesting. I'll be bringing a few grippers for calibration. This is cause for me to start buying grippers again. Now I want to get a nice little collection for contest purposes.

A couple notes

The Table Top Wrist Curl setup is complete and ready to go for the after contest action.

If you have any extra hose clamps - please bring them with you - I have some extra but maybe not enough.

If anyone is coming with you just to watch - please let me know so I can plan food for them.

For Josh Dale - John Eaton - Doc and anyone else whose grippers we might use - I have plenty of tape to protect the handles.

Please mark your grippers before you come - it sounds like a lot of people will be bringing theirs to calibrate.

The prize package is looking pretty sweet thanks to some fabulous donations! Keeping this a surprise - some of this stuff I don't want to give away - I want to keep it :blush .

Train hard! Chris

My dad is coming... as a spectator :rolleyes He's said he'll compete at MGC though. I have 2 good hose clamps I'll bring Chris. They held my hard #3 just fine.

My dad is coming... as a spectator :rolleyes He's said he'll compete at MGC though. I have 2 good hose clamps I'll bring Chris. They held my hard #3 just fine.

You haven't got him talked into competing yet? Come on - promise him you'll do something he'd never expect or something.

You haven't got him talked into competing yet? Come on - promise him you'll do something he'd never expect or something.

Well, I had him saying yes but he said he'd much rather just go one more time to meet people and learn more about the events before he competes. Yeah it's an excuse but once he gets something in his head there's no changing it, believe me I've tried. He's also worried about a fluid filled knee which is a legitimate worry but he says it doesn't cause pain or anything.

Well, I had him saying yes but he said he'd much rather just go one more time to meet people and learn more about the events before he competes. Yeah it's an excuse but once he gets something in his head there's no changing it, believe me I've tried. He's also worried about a fluid filled knee which is a legitimate worry but he says it doesn't cause pain or anything.

I have similar worries, but if I make an excuse not to compete at all, I'll probably never enter a contest. Maybe he'll change his mind when he sees how skinny and weak I look in person; he'll know there's at least one person he can beat in some events.

I know how he feels - I think we all have felt the same way. At some point, you just have to decide if this is something you want to do. It's not really about how well you will place - you can sort of predict that if you read a little and take a few minutes and look over old contest results and personal journals. But how you think you will place overall is not the best reason to do a competition - it's really about how you will do against yourself, not against others. You see a lot of good training lifts posted and to be honest, I believe 99% of them are real - BUT it's different to put yourself out there in front of everyone and have to do it on a day when you're nervous, perhaps a little injured, and the events are not of your choosing or timing. Looking back - it was easier my first contest - nobody had ever heard of me, I had no previous results to live up too - it seems strange how totally scared I was then. I just had to show up and do my best - every lift was going to be a PR so what the heck. For me at least, it soon became more important to show up and visit with my friends and try to set a PR or two than to worry about where I'd place. Oh I want to do well of course but if I do my best for that one day in time - what else can I ask?

Ok, bottom line is he's doing it. He gave me a definite yes today so he's not going to be a spectator, he'll be competing for sure! We'll send the check tomorrow.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Ok, bottom line is he's doing it. He gave me a definite yes today so he's not going to be a spectator, he'll be competing for sure! We'll send the check tomorrow.

AWESOME !!!! He'll never regret it!!

I'm afraid I have to pull out. My wife is on call Sat, so I have to be home. I was going to drive out late Friday night after she got home from work, then drive back late Sat night(she had to work 7a-7p Sun). But the call thing killed that. Next year I guess. Good Luck to all!

I'm afraid I have to pull out. My wife is on call Sat, so I have to be home. I was going to drive out late Friday night after she got home from work, then drive back late Sat night(she had to work 7a-7p Sun). But the call thing killed that. Next year I guess. Good Luck to all!

John I know I speak for everyone when I say how sorry I am you can't make it - next time for sure!

Darn!

Sorry to hear this because I was looking forward to meeting you

Has anyone compiled a total competitors list?

When one is compiled don't count out my dad, check's in the mail :D Sorry to hear your not going John, that stinks.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Has anyone compiled a total competitors list?

Here's where we stand so far - there are still a couple maybes - If I've missed anyone - let me know please.

Dave Thornton Paid

Eric Milfield Paid

Jeremy Strong Paid

Bob Sunden Paid

Chris Rice Paid

Brad Ardrey Paid

Josh Dale Paid

Brent Barbe Paid

Scott Styles Paid

Zach Coulter Paid

Dad Coulter

Mike Amos

Nick Rosendaul

Stew Rosendaul

John Eaton

Jedd Johnson

Anson

Dan Sweeny

Did Chad decide not to attend?

I hurt my back in training...so I will not be attending this year :( Good luck to all...and set a lot of PR's :rock

I hurt my back in training...so I will not be attending this year :( Good luck to all...and set a lot of PR's :rock

I'm very sorry to hear that, Chad. I pray for your speedy recovery.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Chad. I pray for your speedy recovery.

Thanks Eric

Sorry to hear that Chad.

Heal up soon man.