What Was It For You That Helped Get From The #1 To The #2?

spinal1

I can close the #1 for 5 reps, but the #2 is so far out of my reach it seems it's crazy.

What helped you out the most get from that jump?

I can close the #1 for 5 reps, but the #2 is so far out of my reach it seems it's crazy.

I would wait to see how far the gap is when you can do 10-12 reps on your #1.I think you will be much closer plus if you are not interested in reps you could always order a COC 1.5 or a beefbuilder Gripper of similar poundage.But if it were me I would wait to see how you are looking when you can routinley pull 10-12 reps on your #1 before taking action be paitient and train smart and the strength will develop.

Brendan

I would wait to see how far the gap is when you can do 10-12 reps on your #1.I think you will be much closer plus if you are not interested in reps you could always order a COC 1.5 or a beefbuilder Gripper of similar poundage.But if it were me I would wait to see how you are looking when you can routinley pull 10-12 reps on your #1 before taking action be paitient and train smart and the strength will develop.

Brendan

when you say train smart, what exacly do you mean?

i did reps and overcrushes with my filed down #1 . and lots of other random grip stuff. just did what i felt like doing . after some time i closed the #2 . oO

Brendan

I'm guessing he means train smart as in listen to your body for injuries, don't neglect certain muscles/parts too much, and make sure every work out has a point.

What helped me get from the #1 to the #2 was high volume on the #1 and Trainer, and attempts at the two in a parallel set. I also did holds with my #2 when I was close to it, but I don't know if it helped me a lot. I tried negatives with the #3, but I really don't think it helped much, because it was WAY above my level (and still is, just to a slightly lesser extent) It instantly opened to parallel so I doubt it was training much more than the sweep. I think it would have helped if I had kept at it but negatives bore me fast, I'd rather do high volume reps.

Keep in mind, this is just me though.

Brendan

Yes That is what I mean stick to a routine and definatley balance your training like extensors and dexteritiy balls along with grippers.And most of all warm up every time dont do stuff like close heavy grippers with cold hand just to show someone

who cant that you can,It's a good way to take on an injury.Also dont overtrain twice a week is all I do and it works for me.But

everone recovers differently.

Overcrushes and strap holds with the coc#1. Learn how to properly set the gripper and your coc#2 will fall.

Yes That is what I mean stick to a routine and definatley balance your training like extensors and dexteritiy balls along with grippers.And most of all warm up every time dont do stuff like close heavy grippers with cold hand just to show someone

who cant that you can,It's a good way to take on an injury.Also dont overtrain twice a week is all I do and it works for me.But

Do I really need to work extensors and do I need dexterity balls? Never done either of those.

Do I really need to work extensors and do I need dexterity balls? Never done either of those.

You dont need them but they will help your hands get stronger than without them.Also they help to keep your hands healthy and injury free especially when you move up the ladder.

The #2 got easy for me when I started doing serious work on the #3.

Learning how to properly 'set' a gripper got the #2 closed for me straight away.

...a set of HGs and some really hard work.

Rep work got me to the #2 level. Now i do singles and negatives along with some rep work.

I was asking myself these questions several months ago, when I was getting 5 reps with the #1. I can only tell you what NOT to do: don't start repping your #1 like crazy, thinking you'll get to the #2 like that. Recently I got 20 reps on a brand new #1 of mine, and could easily get over 10 with my older #1 that's very filed.... still, the #2 eludes me by a hair. So, DON'T JUST REP THAT #1... do all the stuff these guys are mentioning (strapholds, overcrushes, etc). Not just reps, at least for me, they don't seem to do much!!

KTA took me from (barely) missing the #1 to mashing the #2 in 3 months.

My friend made similar progress on an unstructured, but KTA-inspired program: high-frequency (daily) single-rep training, negatives & overcrushes.

I found the #1.5 really helped, and, as has been said already, extensor work, to bring a balance to your forearms and dexterity balls, for active recovery, an increase in coordination and better mind muscle link, which in turn means you can recruit your muscles more effectively and efficiently. If you limit the growth of the antagonist, you also limit the growth of the agonist or target muscles. ;)

I found the #1.5 really helped, and, as has been said already, extensor work, to bring a balance to your forearms and dexterity balls, for active recovery, an increase in coordination and better mind muscle link, which in turn means you can recruit your muscles more effectively and efficiently. If you limit the growth of the antagonist, you also limit the growth of the agonist or target muscles. ;)

So if you don't do reverse wrist curls, there's no point in doing wrist curls 'cause they'll never get heavier until you start working the reverse ones??

Damn, I always thought the extensors were just trying to prevent injury or something, but never saw it from that point of view...

Work. The more work you do the stronger your hands will become. Keep your straps in your bag as much as possible when in the gym, and don't wear gloves when working out. Also invest in some good chalk to use when working out. This will help with the support stuff and should give you more control, ie fight back resistance, on the gripper. Mix this in with the stuff previously mentioned, be patient, and watch the results come. Good luck.

So if you don't do reverse wrist curls, there's no point in doing wrist curls 'cause they'll never get heavier until you start working the reverse ones??

Not exactly, but it will impinge on your progress and give greater potential for injury. Any imbalance in the body will make you prone to injury, look at the guys who bench to the exclusion of any back work, it's only a matter of time before they start suffering from shoulder problems. ;)

Damn, I always thought the extensors were just trying to prevent injury or something, but never saw it from that point of view...

This didn't get me from the #1 to the #2 but it really has got me some good consistent increases over the last couple months. I've been doing low volume grippers daily or almost every day. greasing the groove in the morning with a light gripper like a #1 for me for a set of 6-8 really fast. then in the evenings I do singles up to my goal gripper, warmup then 3-4 sets up to it, then 2-3 sets of Goal gripper attempts forced in if they do not close. for me right now thats a 3.5. After that 1 hard neg with a gripper that will open no more than 1/4 to 3/8 after I force it in. Right now thats a SE. I try to hold it for a few seconds and sqeeze like no tomorrow. then after a few minutes rest I drop down an do a set of 6-10reps on a lower gripper, right now a hard filed #3. Thats daily with the occasional day off if my arms are aching too much. Then every other day I do supporting muscle work. 1-2 sets of Sledge hammer curls with wrist locked. 1-2 sets of reverse wrist curls on my homemade peg dup. Then 1-2 sets of either plate wrist curls or peg dup flexion wrist curls. all the supporting stuff I'm trying to hit 12-15 reps. since starting this my grippers have been consistently going up. as well as other things and my wrists feel alot stronger.

- Aaron

3 sets with the #1, maxing out each set, 3 workouts each week.

Doing sets and reps (over an 8 hour shift at work) on my #1 and then on my #1.5 three times a week.

I would use a "ladder" rep model alternating left and right hand doing 1 rep then 2 then 3 then 4. For a total of 10 reps each side. I would do at least 10 sets a night.

Doing that for about a month got me to just barely closing my #2 once every couple days.

KTA got me a lot farther, I am using my #2 for strap holds and a filed BBM for overcrushes with my right hand now, my left is a little weaker still but I have closed my #2 left side a few times now.

Cool guys. Lots of great responses.

A lot of you said extensor work which I have never done...

thinking about ordering a CoC #1.5 and also some "Expand your hand bands" which is shown in the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/IronMind-Expand-Your...2418365-0151143

What do you guys think of the bands? Would that do the trick?

They are useful for keeping your hands healthy. I carry a couple in my pocket most of the time. I try to knock out at least a couple sets of 50 on the red bands every couple days.

- Aaron