Whats The Biggest Thing U Have Seen Someone Bend The First Time They T

Yersinia

Whats the biggest thing u have seen someone bend the first time they tried bending ? ..

and what could u do the first time u tried?

i could only bend a green nail at first. :(

and i've only seen someone bend a Yellow nail after lots of fumbling with it.

Edited by Yersinia

:D I first saw Gazza bending english 60d nails not the biggest or the hardest but the first thing i saw anyone bend and was hooked,then i had a try and nearly passed out :tongue ,so for me it was also an english 60d nail,how far we have come since those days!

Had 2 techs in the ER try bending one evening & BOTH these fellows got a grade 5 6" the very first session. Neither train strength, only one worked out at all. Luke did it with ugly, below the pec line bend form, too. Very impressive!

I got my budding into bending recently. He killed a timber tie on his first try with just a little coaching to keep the nail high. He called me this weekend to tell me he got a Yellow Nail equiv. down to 1.25". This was his second bend. Also, he has no actual pads, so he's using little pieces of denim. I was impressed!

I started with White Nail equivs and struggled to get the Green. After a little coaching from bencrush, I killed a G5!

I had a buddy kill a 5.5" g5 first session. then after 3 sessions he was killing a bastard and a new red.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

the first thing i bent was a 6mm x 6" shiny nail, got it first time

within 2 days i had bent a 5/16" x 7" HRS bar

im about a month in now and i have finished a 30 degree cheatkinked 8mm x 7" CRS, im working on my kink furiously so i can go after a red or a bastard. i think before my 26 th birthday on May the 29th ill get one of them

I had a buddy kill a 5.5" g5 first session. then after 3 sessions he was killing a bastard and a new red.

- Aaron

thats just wrong . :p

Luke did it with ugly, below the pec line bend form, too. Very impressive!

My older brother bent a 60d the same way. I tried to act like i wasn't impressed, but he knew better. He told me if I needed any more lessons to give him a call :laugh . :angry:

My first time bending was with 3/16" HRS

I think Eli72 bent a 7"X 5/16" hr bar at Chris's house first time out.

The first time I saw someone bending something was Clay Edgin and his frying pan roll (technically that's bending :D )

My first day I bent a green nail with tissue. first try. Was hard and bad form. Then learned DU and it went easier (Now I am much better DO bender). Anyways I knew a guy that is strong. I had the white with me. He bent it in a tissue. Bad form like me. Little below my chest. The I gave him the green. He bent it. The next day I brought a local 60d nail (I was so hard for me that I thought it was harder than a red :D I didn't even had the yellow that time). With a little diffucalty(sp?) he bent the 60d with bad form(our local 60d varies a lot. some are harder than the US 60d that Aaron sent me and some are inbetween green and yellow nail). If he wants to learn DO I bet he will bend the new bastard (385 pounds) in 2 or 3 days.

Going to see an old buddy from school tonight so I'll see if he'll humor me and try some bending. I've told him about the bending before and he's kind of interested. He lives overseas now but I'm sure I can send him a nice Bending Kit if he catches the Bending Bug. :) He's 5'10" and about 275 but very solid. And astounding natural strength. I've tried to get him to join the grip boards for a while now but he prefers to be anonymous...something about his career I assume.

Anyway, I expect he'll get the 6" Grade 5 first try. I'll take about 10 minutes to give him a few demos without actually bending anything DO myself. He's a quick learner. I know he's strong enough for a Bastard but the form issues are going to be the hardest thing there. If he can get a decent position under his chin, he'll bend anything he wants to. He's that strong.

I think Eli72 bent a 7"X 5/16" hr bar at Chris's house first time out.

Nick - At the first Gripmas - Eli kinked an older Red nail but couldn't finish it off also. Form was awful, mostly just wrist strength. At the last Gripmas - Brent Barbe did a grade 5 and kinked a grade 8 his first time bending also. After a little coaching by Doc, his form was very nice. Strong is strong - sometimes it just needs a little direction to get it working.

I've actually been testing people every now and then and I can say you guys must be running into some STRONG people. I've brought a variety of short steel to work and some average pads ie. not too thick not too thin and worked a few guys up. I taught them the 3 major styles and the rules and I even wrapped it up for them. Since I was looking to see what was average I did not wrap a huge wrap super tight and over-teach all the secrets but the general styles.

My boss: He went through 3/16 by 7 inch square and then 1/4 inch by 7 inch hot-rolled (the mild stuff). Then with much effort he finally got a G2 "BL" bolt which I believe these last ones have calibrated at 185 lbs. He couldn't get a 60d or a harder timber tie.

Next guy who I thought would do really good got to 3/16 square but couldn't get the BL bolt.

Next guy couldn't even get the 3/16 square.

My boss took a 60d and has been challenging people at the local bar and as of yet no one has bent it.

I've tried more people than this and my conclusion is that a 60d is still considered a feat of strength for good reason. I've not had anybody come close to bending one much less a G5 and I'm amazed at the results you guys are getting.

Even when I let a strong guy brace the bend he only got a ridiculously easy 60d nail that I had (210 lbs calibration) and it took all he had.

In the long bars I had a big guy at work bend a partial bend in a 9/16 hrs bar that was 3 foot long over his knee but he couldn't finish it into a "U". Also, I had some mild 3/8 steel cut into 12" to simulate an easier spike and none of the guys successfully put more than a dent in that one. A spike would have been way too hard. And at my last show I passed several of the items around to some stout looking contractors and nobody could dent the Tfal frying pan or pry bar.

A guy at church had simliar results. I think he got a tough timber tie.

As for me I had such a spotty start with no direction whatsover so my first bends were braced with a wash cloth and I think my very first bend was an aluminum gutter spike then a 1/4 carriage bolt (woo hoo) then I think a 5/16 carriage bolt (wow!) all these were too easy so I think my first bend that really took it out of me in my testing phase was a G2 1/4 inch hex bolt. Like I said though I had a very spotty start and then I didn't bend again until months later when I got some leather.

My first long bar was a 3/8 by 3 foot zinc plated around the neck. Still in my collection today and it gave me the fever bad!

Tim

i wasn't going to post in this thread because i didn't really have anyhting of note to say, untill last night.

My wife wanted a go at bending, we had had a few drinks by this time, the only thing i had in the house was a couple of 6mm x 6" shiny nails.

These are harder than 1/4" crs i have. So I wrapped it up and gave it to her.

Anyway she smoked it, with dreadful form, down to 1.5" between head and point

I couldn't believe it, these are nails i failed on when i started bending

I also gave my brother a couple, he couldn't kink them mainly because he has really short arms and weak wrists, i prekinked a couple to 30º and 20º and he smashed them like they weren't there. he is plenty strong enough just bad form and weak wrists stopping him from turning steel to butter

fair play, respect indeed to the lady.

fair play, respect indeed to the lady.

I couldn't believe it,

We had a christmas party in December. Of course after a couple beers and some prodding I started doing a little bending as well as teaching and letting guys try some. by the end of the party at least 7 guys had done a 60d. And one guy got a 7x.281 drillrod. But the best was watching 2 drunk hotties in short skirts try to bend a 60d together. they didn't budge it but it was a good show. Wish I had video.

- Aaron

I like Aaron's story best! :laugh

My friend came over a day late. I just sent an e-mail to TimT a few minutes ago saying that my FBBC order got here (thanks John!) and that's great. Even better was John came over very late but really just in time for the grand opening of the FBBC Box Of Goodies. I gave him the 10 minute detailed lecture/form tips seminar that I've given the last dozen or so clients. I won't take credit for what he did because of his awesome strength. But surely the tips helped a tiny bit? :tongue

John does not like to warmup on anything he does. He doesn't consider it "real world strength" if you've got to warmup to it. Fine. After finishing up my form seminar with him (which bored him to tears-but he at least paid attention) I wrapped up a 1/4"X6" Grade 5 tight in my thick leather wraps. I didn't expect him to utterly demolish it but he really did. Maybe 30 seconds from start to finish which wouldn't be considered fast for an advanced bender, but crap that was his first bend! He smashed the tips together so close even in the thick pads that he had to PRY the tips apart to pull the wraps off! < < Hahaha. Bastard. Wish I had started at that strength level.

John starts admiring all the fine FBBC stock that I've lovingly laid out on the countertop. 50 Bastards. 25 Shiny Bastards. 10 Hexabastards. 10 of the 1/4"X7" Square. 10 Grade 5s at 6", 5.5" and 5". Common sense would dictate that his next choice would be the 5.5" Grade 5. Not so. He picked the Shiny Bastard first...but finally after about 3 minutes of long and drawn out talking sense into him, he relented and wouldn't choose anything lower than the Bastard. Moment of truth time. I chalked the pads again. Wrapped the Bastard up super tight. Slapped him 15 times in the face for motivation...not really, made that part up.

He bends in the Jedd-style low on the chest. So I wanted to have him focus on pulling the nail even higher if we was able to. It was hard for him and he couldn't quite get it to touch under his chin but it was pretty high. So I told him to go to town on that Bastard. BAM! Kinked it like it was air in the pads. Had to find his form a bit on the sweep around 40 degrees though. Few verbal form tips from me and he had it sorted out to 90 degrees. Figured 90 would be the real fight but it wasn't too bad for him. He finished it in the pads although I had the Crush Pads ready for him if he needed or wanted them. Total time was 1 minute and 35 seconds! :mosher Crushed it down to 1 and 5/8" in the pads too.

Of course I'm nearly jumping around with excitement at that point and he's just wondering what to try next. Awesome bending by him. If I can get him hooked he'll be on the Top 10 in a few months or less with some focus.

He rested a while and told me that he really wanted to try that "shiny stuff." Meaning the Shiny Bastard. Figured what the heck. Wrapped it up tight and even had him chalk his hands for a slightly better grip on the pads. He blasted into it and it kinked but with a lot more obvious difficulty. Got it to about 25 degrees before it just froze. So I told him to just set it on the counter for a while and he could hit it later. Waited a few minutes and then he grabbed it again and took it to 72 degrees in a few hits. Impressive! Set it down again. He told me that it was "very hard work." I agree! I would love him to join up so we could all "mentor" him to greatness. I say mentor lightly because his starting level is what I strived for many years to reach. About 5 minutes rest while we chatted and I told him all I could about bending history and the bending cert lists. He was really jacked up to finish it off but I warned him repeatedly about how tough the damn Shiny gets when it sits. One smooth hit to 90 degrees. Took a few deep breaths and I showed him how to interlock his fingers for best effect. Then he hit it again and got it to 3.75". Whew I could tell it was kicking his ass at that point. But was ultra impressed that he was probably going to finish the damn SHINY BASTARD in his first bending workout. Bastard. Another short rest but not sure how long it was. I didn't time it since I really didn't think he'd get it so far. :unsure

Pulled out my very worn in set of Crush Pads and convinced him that they would help with the final crushdown. 3.75" is usually a bit wider than I like to start using the Crush Pads, but his hands are bigger and I thought he could still interlock his fingers with the CP in his palms. He hit it and got nothing on his first attempt. That kind of woke him up about how hard this stuff gets. LOL. Had him do some more CP adjusting and he found what worked after a few very small movement (@ 1/16") hits. He ended up finishing it off in a series of painful hits and deep breaths. Shiny Bastard ended at 1 and 15/16" somewhere around the 15-20 minute mark!!! First time bending. Now that is incredible! He took the steam out of me a bit to try some DU bending. But I'm very glad for him. What a hell of an entry to bending. I'll be working HARD at getting him hooked...or if you guys send me some big $$$ I might talk him out of it. :tongue

He's ready again. He's wrapped up a Grand that's already kinked to 90...and moving that bit by bit with the Crush Pads! Wow...

Shiny Bastard in his first workout? No offence but in my opinion that's even better than Gazza's FBBC huge shiny bastard REVERSE! say congrats to your friend for me. :rock

by the way, whats the job of your friend? in other words how he got that strong?

Shiny Bastard in his first workout? No offence but in my opinion that's even better than Gazza's FBBC huge shiny bastard REVERSE! say congrats to your friend for me. :rock

by the way, whats the job of your friend? in other words how he got that strong?

Shiny in a first bending workout is awesome. But the Huge Shiny (Reverse and DU) is simply mind boggling really. There is a huge difference between the 2. It feels more like a foot has been cut off than just an inch.

I should have restrained myself from posting about my buddy. But I couldn't help it. He's in a sensitive job and does not appreciate me posting anything honestly. Sorry to sound all cloak-and-dagger on you. I'm still trying to get him to join up because it's not like everyone will be visiting his house or anything like that. He's also a bit old fashioned and isn't on the internet much.

No problem buddy. It's his choise. But i'm till now impressed!!!

hell ben, and i thought i was making good progress

that is awesome congratulate your friend from me

Edited by liamcafs

Ben, your friend could now be a FBBC Bastard if he wanted to go public, which I doubt. This is stunning for his first bending session and getting that Shiny done, no matter how long it took is even more shocking !!

Must be something in the water in Kansas ? I think I need to move a few hundred miles SW !!

.. neilkaz ..