Slim

Roark

Guest baldy

Joe, I explained why I wouldn't do it. I am not trying to convince anyone else. Your approach would probably work well for you, and coming from you (given your position as a historian) it might not be taken wrong at all.

For the record, I state again that I would not have handed Mr Farman a gripper. Coming from me (NOT a historian, just a guy that messes with a little grip work in with his other strength training) I think it would only offend. Further, as stated earlier, I don't feel I have earned the right to "put him to the test", especially when the "test" isn't within his realm of specialty.

I respect that we have different agendas Joe. For the sake of history it is important to you that certain things get recorded if possible. That is not a concern I share, it doesn't bother me a bit that Slim and the grippers occupied the same space for a couple of hours without coming into contact. Maybe you should ask some of those who were there for their reasons they didn't offer a gripper to Mr Farman, since I am speaking hypothetically about why I wouldn't have done it had I been there.

Guest woody36

Squeeze,

What point? that he has nothing to prove?

The mere fact he doesnt train grippers means there's no

shame if he can't close one. He obviously feels that grippers

have no bearing on the type of stunts he performs.

Slim has the right idea,because the rest of you have a

major fixation! but getting back to the subject,why shouldn't

you ask him?. The guy is a legend with a wealth of

knowledge at his fingertips,and nobody wants to ask him

questions about a sport that relates to him!

I call that a wasted opportunity, a quick introduction and a

summary of what is hoped to be achieved here on the

Gripboard,and i reckon he'd have been only too pleased to

get into a discussion or even squeeze a gripper.

As the saying goes: You don't ask, you don't get!

Woody - No, not that Slim has nothing to prove that is obvious. That there are non-offensive ways to ask and playing dumb might be one of them. I think it is probably a safe bet that all the greats have put the squeeze on a gripper at one point or another in their lives. The point Roark was trying to make was that if you asked casually, in a one-on-one situation about a particular type of strength it can be done without offense and without challenge. That is the point I believe you may have missed. That aside, what about Kaz and Dennis Rogers? DR clearly has very strong hands and wrists ... he's not on the list of coc's. Kaz is the self proclaimed strongest man who ever lived ... not on the list. These guys also may have nothing to prove to me, at least in the case of Kaz when you make claims like he has you open yourself up for questions. Asking him about his crushing or pinching hand strength would not be out of line. Shoving a gripper in ANYONES face and challenging them to close it is probably nearly always out of line. Tact is always the key to any door.

Mike M.

Guest IrNLifter

Excuse me while I vent my opinion of all this...For one thing,

I'm more than somewhat amazed that noone has offered Slim a book deal...I mean come on! The guys a direct link to all the old time strength training wisdom, he's 70 freaking years young,old ...whatever and it seems everyone's afraid to talk to him....while I for one have never met him....I'm a newbie at all this (and to this board)...but geez...here is a fount of knowledge....and NOBODY will ask him questions? or challenge his knowledge...??what's up with that? Great strength is from the mind, not the hands....and the whole world ain't about grippers....

No one offered John Grimek a book deal. And if Grimek

was not famous enough, it is very unlikely Slim could

leverage one.

Most books in our field are self-published; Arnold being

the obvious exception. While we may hope to spread

what we cherish, publishers with money at stake do not

share that hope.

IrNLifter,

If you mean that a publisher has declined to publish a book

I proposed, no, not yet.

But in a few years when Larry Aumann retires, he and I will

finish a book on the history of bodybuilding contests, and

then I suspect several publishers will unite in a chorus of

chuckles and snorts louder than any ridicule I have endured

since last I went to the beach.

Guest IrNLifter

It's good to keep these things in perspective....BUt at least the publishers will wait till you turn your back to laugh at you..too bad about that beach thing... :D