• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• David Horne

• dunkster

• DuTCH

Laine Snook lifting the Millenium first attempt

Wow, great job, Laine.

Would be great if you could upload the 2nd attempt too, Mike!

Laine's second attempt. I've just put it on so bare with me if it's not ready yet.

Thanks for sharing the videos!

Great job Laine!

Awesome lifts, Steve and Theo!

Looks like some mighty impressive interval feats were accomplished, as well!

Very impressive lifting by both Steve and Theo :mosher

Cheers everyone. Dunksters doing great work on the videos. More later when more rested and a better fuller write-up.

Edited by mobsterone

A typical weekend...

Thursday

Fully expecting to see Theo at some point later in the day I was somewhat suprised to have him knocking on my door at 8.30am. not quite ready for the day I let him in and he told me an amusing story of the kind guys share over beers (one for him to tell at a later date). This had let to him leaving the hostel he had crashed in the night before 5 or 6 hours earlier than intended.

Having sorted myself out I left him to catch up on some sleep after I had quickly shown him the warehouse and then while I caught up on our Thursday orders he got some late but much needed sleep. We took it pretty easy after that resting up for the big day on Saturday.

Friday

Friday we did the 'tour of Gloucester' I've done with a few guests now and then had a decent (bloody huge) grill at a good pub, chilled some more and then ate our way through a very nice venison and beef pie.

I, sensibly, was ready for bed and a read at 1030pm. Theo however, was out chasing the ladies until 4am. I think his going to bed after arriving at 4am timed nicely with my getting up at 5am. That said a good solid (oh to be that young again) 5 hours or so sleep and he was ready for a days lifting. Making sure he had a specially prepared bowl of gruel (kidding ha ha) - nah some food and snacks we'd picked up so as to be ready to rock we got ourselves together. As expected faces from all over the UK started to show up with many well known to grip fans.

Saturday

I'd spent some time Thursday night tidying and did some small adjustments Friday so that come Saturday all I needed to do was bring a chair over for the ref, stick the kettle on and we were ready to go. With almost everyone there well ahead of time we chatted and told people what was going on and stuck to the 1200 kick off.

Two hand pinch

Pinch was first. As anyone who competes in strength events will tell you it is important to warm up well and also to make the right choices for openers. Having made some bloody silly mistakes in the past but also picking up tips over the same time I played save and took (I think) an easy 84-kilos or so. Using David Horne's slightly heavier set up the jumps were around 2-3 kilos and I ended up on my 3rd attempt with a slightly less than PB (97 on my set) 95.3k / 209.66lbs (101.11 points). I was keen to see if the rush and pressure of competition would allow me something and as it was still early in the day and I was already leading I took a mad 100-kilos. It was like someone had bolted it to the floor!!

Theo pulled 90.3k (95.80 points)

V-Bar

I have to say I was disappointed with myself. Although I took some good choices, stayed competitive and even on my very best day (both hands 162.75 I think) would not have kept up with Theo (he was on top and the sun and god were with him) I still would have liked to have done 160-kilos a hand. But it wasn't to be. Theo was another story. All there felt his final right hand could have been 10-kilos more and he'd have still cracked it. When you have David H excitedly exclaim '200-kilos could go down' like a boxing MC you know he's buzzing. Theo pissed this and rightly so.

Scores were:-

Steve Gardener R/H 151.5k, L/H 159k = 310.5k total (101.68)

Theo Burggraaff R/H 186.5K, L/H 171.5K = 358k total (117.24)

We took a short break and were good for time so was able to watch David Horne Reverse bent a 6.5" Bastard bar, but unfortunately outside of the 30 sec time. Just and only needing a 2 more degrees to get the kink. Jim Wylie Reverse bent a 6" Grade 8 bolt - considering he has plate in one forearm... crazy and then Elizabeth Horne did Farmers Walk with 2 x 70k 'farmers' for about 30 metres with 2 turns. I somehow suspect she will do very, very well in the upcoming ladies event we have planned.

Rolling Thunder

Thank goodness for a 'banker' lift for me. I think Theo had already said before that I would win this and I haven't lost on this event since David Horne beat myself and Jim Wylie 5 or 6 years ago. Added to that was that Laine Snook had turned up just before or just after we started. I'd grabbed a minute to say hi and he is, after all, the world record holder.

I felt like I could have done a tad more without having to have waited for that 1-second (excellently reffed mind) down signal from David but on the last right hand I had, at best, 1-kilo spare. As it was I pulled back the loss of points taken from me by V-Bar king for 2007 Theo.

Final weights and scores were:-

Steve Gardener R/H 105.5k, L/H 93k = 198.5k total (107.46)

Theo Burggraaff R/H 88k, L/H 83k = 171k total (92.57)

One hand deadlift.

Theo and I had been following each others efforts quite closely via online diaries, emails and the like and up to a few weeks out we had been very close. Much like, at the 5 or 6 week mark, the v-bar. But like he pulled ahead of me there I was cranking them out on the deadlift and I pulled with my left hand his best right and then pulled another 30-kilos with my right to push ahead in the points. In training and without other lifts to worry about I had hit 130-kilo for3 x 1 left handed and 160-kilos x 3 x 1 right. A pause for the down and my 4th attempt at 160 right and I was unable to hit that high. I had also said to Theo that following the RT with a similar movement might have hindered our max's.

Scores

Steve Gardener R/H 150k, L/H 120k = 270k total (108)

Theo Burggraaff R/H 120K, L/H 110K = 230k total (92)

As reported and I use that here slightly modified: Time for another rest before the finale and this time we had Laine Snook deadlifting the Millennium Dumbbell twice (if memory serves I think it was 2x with the right and 1x with the left). Laine was able to pull almost all the way up but dropped it all times. Elizabeth Horne bent a 5.5" Grade 5 to 60 degrees in a few minutes. Dunkster bent a 5.5" Grade 5 in about 25 secs - he has made some savage gains in a very short time and knows all the tricks. Mike Betty, a strongman who has never bent before, bent a 5.5" Grade 5 to about 60 degrees, with the worst technique ever. Great guts to want to have a go, and endurance to carry on. Show him some techniques and he'll soon improve big time. He kept at it again and again and the videos do not show just how red he went.

Grippers

Although not that visual we had an appreciative audience and they enjoyed our efforts. I think my second left and right hand efforts placed me just ahead of Theo so that he'd have needed a 3.65 left and a 4.00 right to push me out of the way. That said I was disappointed not to get the same 2.96 left this time around and it took me two goes at the 3.65 right to get it nailed. We have been told that these were great after a tiring day but the breaks, food etc we had eaten made me feel like a little more was there.

So I won. No trophy, certificate or prizes for either of us but we had a cracking day, lifted some of our best efforts and had a lot of help and support.

Saturday pm

Theo, TT, H, Nick and myself went into town - squeezed into Nick's Rover like Sardines and enjoyed another meal. Theo found room for another of the huge grills we'd had the day before and we had a couple of pints. The other lads went off and Theo and I felt we deserved a few more. So off we went and took in another couple of pubs. 1130 and several hours later I'd had my fill and was ready for bed again and Theo was off out - this time till 5am!! Good lord. I have no idea how he does it. I had commented at some point that I must be close to or at my peak on many lifts and at his age - 23? 24? he has a way to go yet. I know for sure I'd be grilled and frazzled if I was out until dawn and then lifted.

To all who came. To Laine for having a go at the Millennium. To David for the use of several items of equipment and for reffing. To Liz for helping and trying out (and doing well) the equipment. To all who attempt some good steel bends. To Nick for the loading and line judging from the floor with video my low v-bar pull. To Dunkster for the videos and to ALL at WHEY HQ who cheered me on through out and who helped in many ways.

Came home just now.

Thanks Steve for having me over, and his hospitality! He made sure i got everything i needed, and was really cool about everything. Being competitors going head to head, he was a true friend the whole time i stayed there. Thanks again!

Thanks David for inviting me over to do a supermatch! Great to meet you!

Bit tired, write up will follow tomorrow.

Came home just now.

Thanks Steve for having me over, and his hospitality! He made sure i got everything i needed, and was really cool about everything. Being competitors going head to head, he was a true friend the whole time i stayed there. Thanks again!

Thanks David for inviting me over to do a supermatch! Great to meet you!

Bit tired, write up will follow tomorrow.

A pleasure always and easy when Theo is so easy going.

Theo,

It was nice to meet you to, and everyone else I met. Sorry if I didn't get a chance to natter to everyone, but the reffing/commentating took a lot of my time, and then we had to go straight away after so we could get back to our baby.

David

What a nice day! Nice meeting everyone!

I'll do a quick write up on the events:

Before the contest started, David Horne explained what was going the happen, rules and events.

Two hand pinch:

I use a different set-up, and always have been close to get on the euro as to what i get on the wooden block. This time turned out to be a bit different. Things were happening fast, lifts were done quick, 2 minutes inbetween events so you had to think and act fast. Before i knew it, i was at 90K and failed twice. The last lift, i got it, barely.

I choose 49mm, i think next time i'll do 54mm again, as that is the same as my own. I actually had it that Steve would go 100k, but that was a bit heavy. Right then and there it was clear that Steve would be tough to beat.

V-bar:

Doesn't need much explaining anymore now, does it :D I felt strong, i worked this very hard for 3 months, and it paid off. I wasn't settling for less. I could have done more, and maybe should have. David was yelling 200k was possible. I refrained myself for adding an outside of comp lift, since there was more stuff to be done. I will save that heavier lift, for the 'real competiton'.

Steve was doing allright, had higher numbers in training, but still did good with one lift barely passing the 5cm. We used instant vid review here, done by Nick.

Rolling Thunder:

No use going against the thickbar daddy here. I knew it. I had 90/80 planned, but got 88/83. That was still good i think. After 3 events, i wasn't too far behind. Still doable.

One Hand Deadlift:

I thought this would go better, but it didn't. I missed strength left, and right i made a mistake to lift 127,5k as a warm up instead of counting it. Steve was dead on, even going for a 150k lift. Crazy stuff.

The bar was a bit thicker than mine, and was giving me a hard time. I think in this event and the 2hp, you could speak of home advantage. Steve was familiar with the equipment.

Grippers:

I actually won this event. We were VERY surprised when we looked at the scores after the comp behing his computer. Funny! Missed the 3.5 by 1mm. Too bad.

The block inbetween was giving me some trouble.

Conclusion

Good day, great people. Mike Betty Boop doing a bend was great to see! Laine Snooki , ofcourse crazy stuff. Dunkster doing bends and getting in these nice vids. Nick, being laid back but freaky strong, but even though he's strong, he's still a midget. He walked by the two hand pinch setup the next day, saw it was loaded to 100kg (!!) and without warm up nearly lifted it fully! TT and the 17 year old being strong and being nice company in the pub. Liz being the strongest woman i ever met. Jim, well, i'm impressed that i impressed the v-bar king who was very impressed with my impressive lifts on the v-bar as he said that that was very impressive! Easygoing, having a cold, but still got out to meet me and watch the comp.

Also good to see some board member coming by like Geo who i got to meet, noobsailbot and a few others!

Oh, and ofcourse that guy with the glasses.. Don't remember his name, he did some lifts like a 150k OHDL and was wearing a beanie.. Strange fella..

Even though i was on 'hostile' territory, people didn't made me feel bad or not wanted at all. Everyone was nice, and shouting for me and mobby. Cool,and i will be back to England for sure, because the birds are hot! :rock

As far as my outside of the supermatch experiences in Gloucester and Cardiff, i redirect you guys to the gripperhell site, since i can't tell the story proper without using a bit of foul language. (will be up tonight, later on.)

Edited by DuTCH