Gripper training

Guest Christian

100 members have voted

1. 1. Gripper training

Guest Christian

I just wanted to see how often you guys worked with your grippers. I feel lame for posting a poll, but I've read some people do it everyday, some 2 times a week, etc.  What works for you?

I usually train grip 3 times a week, but I usually only use the grippers 2x per week.  The other workout is usually heavier on pinching.

:D

I try to train my grip in some ways every day. Monday on thursday I work specifically with the grippers. I also try to shut the down the #1 of and on when I feels for it...

two days a week grippers/ six days of some grip work

Wannagrip, is that six days of grippers? Hard every day? Do you do other grip work?

two days a week grippers/ six days of some grip work

Wannagrip, is that six days of grippers? Hard every day? Do you do other grip work?

Yes.

Yes.

Right now pinching and extension work.

No "one day wonders" with my current program.  ;)

6 days

I do grip training three days a week.  And I do different things for each workout, depending on my mood and what I need to work on.

Guest Canthar

6 days a week.

Everyday but Sunday and if I am really wornout during the week will skip Thursday but this is a rarity. I used to do 3 days per week and after switching to 6, there was a massive increase in strength..

I used to do 3 days per week and after switching to 6, there was a massive increase in strength..

Me too!

:D

Guest Christian

Thanks guys, your replies have been helpful.  I have trained my grippers for heavy singles everyday (M, T, W) this week and I am VERY close to clicking the #1 now! My hands are accustomed to the motion, I have to assist a little with my opposite hand to get it "set" because my hands are way smaller than the gripper, but it's progress!

Do you cycle the excersizes evenly or do you just do things on whim?

How can you get a MASSIVE increase in strength when you don't give your hands adequate time to recover/repair??  Am I missing something here??   ???

How can you get a MASSIVE increase in strength when you don't give your hands adequate time to recover/repair??  Am I missing something here??   ???

Where have you been John?

Yes, it's impossible to work grip more than 2-3 times a week and recover. If you train daily, you will get weaker.

:hehe  :hehe  :hehe  :hehe

Guest Canthar

That's the thing that one day a week, 2 max but never consecutive IS enough time for recovery. In my opinion different muscle and nerves in the body recover differently and at different rates.

The hands, those nerves and muscles associated with gripping and manipulating the fingers especially do not require near the recovery time of other muscles in the body, and more to the point once they are accustomed to intense work I believe they adapt better and faster when the workload is kept higher. I'll post here the basis of my grip work not including wrist or anythingelse.

Input whatever number gripper your working with..

M- 5 single with tough gripper preferably one above the one your trying to close, then 2 sets of 5 with the gripper your trying to close. These are all overcrushes held 2-4 seconds with MAX effort. I find 2-4sec is plenty. Average of 45seconds between singles and sets.

Tuesday- 3 single's with the gripper above goal

Wednesday- 3 singles with gripper above goal, followed by Plate loaded machine 1 set of 20 a HARD set of 20 increasing weight eachtime you make that 20. Really work these out. Then use both hands on the same weight and do 40. This stimulates those few fibers that low rep heavy sets miss.

Thursday- 3 single's with the gripper above goal.

Friday- Same as Monday.

In some cases if your goal gripper very hard and out of reach like the first time at the #3 but you can single close the #2 then you would use the #3 for the singles and the #2 for the reps. Hope this wasn't to confusing if you need and clarification please let me know. Post here or PM your choice..

Nic

((edit: those are overcrushes each time, everyday if the handles don't click))

If you daily do many sets and reps of intense gripper training , you will not recover. If instead you do a few all out singles with you hardest gripper spread throughout each day then recovery is possible. I think it is doing many intense sets and reps that burns people out and they lose strength.

Right on the nail OldGuy. I do 6 days a week grippers training and I'll never get back to 2-3 / week. I closed the #3 yestersay and today and tomorrow, I'll be fresh as a rose and will probably do it again.

Tou,

Time for you to join the brotherhood!!  Get certified NOW!!  Congrats to you my friend.... how does it feel mashing that #3 closed??  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JoeQ1966

Im still trying to find the best training regimen but right now I am doing 4 days on and then take a day off..I have noticed some decent strength increases doing this so im still trying to fine tune it.After the 4th day I notice a slight decrease and some weariness in my hands..I then takes a day off and so far I come back fealing stronger and ready to work.This could be just me but it seems if I take 2 or 3 days off I lose a slight edge and my hands seem alittle stiff.

good luck         Joe

Guest sjeff70

What kind of volume are you guys using and are you guys doing any other grip stuff besides crushing?

The poll may be scewed if not clarified.  For those who train the grippers multiple times a week, are you training other aspects of grip as well?

I'm relatively new to grip training, but I train my grip once a week.  I got #1 for Christmas last year and closed it right out of the box.  For a few months afterwards I somewhat lost interest in grip training and got back into it just a few weeks ago.  I returned to the #1 working it once a week for a couple weeks and then got my #2, which I closed on my third workout with it.

I plan to train my grip twice a week once my calluses build up some, right now that #2 chews the s**t out of my hands.  As far as reps go, I'll do a few warm ups with the #1 and then crush and hold the #2 as long as I can (last time I tried, I could only get one complete rep).  I do that until I can no longer stand the pain or my hand starts to bleed, whichever comes first.

[sorry for the repeat, to any of you who read my other post]