Classic Armwrestling Movies

Florian Kellersmann

John Brzenk vs. Gary Goodridge:

http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/en/inde...iew&id=1160

I wonder how strong Gary was compared to the heavyweights of today. Maybe John himself or Bob Brown could give us some info.

that was a close pin if it was a pin :whacked use to be better when you had to touch the pad

I think it was clear that he didn't touch the pad?? Doesn't he have to touch it to win? Even in real speed it's clear it didn't touch it, no need for even slowmotion.

In the old pages of "Ask John Brzenk" (still up somewhere) he mentions Goodridge several times.

From those pages I just found this:

QUESTION: I was recently watching an old tape of the 1996 Yukon Jack championship, and have a few questions for you. First, does Gary Goodridge have a big, powerful hand? He looks really powerful in the shoulders and upper-arms, but when I saw him pull Ron Bath, his hand looked smaller than Ron's. When you pull Gary, is your strategy then to attack his hand, or do you usually try to win with a hook? It would be my guess that Gary is virtually unbeatable in a hook, though!

ANSWER FROM JOHN: Well first of all for comparison Ron does not have a small hand, but yes Gary does have a small hand compared to many successful armwrestlers. He compensates for this by protecting it with an extremely strong hammer curl with knuckles high posting top roll. I wouldn't say Gary is unbeatable in a hook but yes it would be very difficult and would put a lot of wear and tear on the person trying to perform this feat. My strategy in the past pulling Gary was to attack his hand and wrist right off the start. But with his latest style of posting it may require pulling him into a hook first then attacking his fingers once turned to a hooked position. This would not be an easy task.

QUESTION: Hey John's very strong, did he fight against Gary Goodridge?

ANSWER FROM JOHN: Yes, numerous times, although not recently. We have probably pulled 30 to 40 times against each other in competitions through out the years.

QUESTION: Why did you lose the match to Gary Goodridge in yukon jack 94?

ANSWER FROM JOHN: Because the rules state when your arm touches the pinning pad you lose....That and the fact that Gary Goodridge is one of the best, if not currently the best heavyweight armwrestler out there. As I remember it he had better back pressure than I did that day which was something I never expected from Gary , he was always great in a hook and his press isn't bad either, although this new found technique will make beating him very difficult. Its always much easier to beat someone when you know which direction their pulling. When there is uncertainty it makes winning much more difficult.

QUESTION: Hi John, You mentioned that you had competed against Gary Goodridge about 30-40 times. What percentage of those matches did you win?

ANSWER FROM JOHN: I've had some great matches with Gary through out the years I've won my share and lost a few trying. The question is how would we fair against each other today? What you did in the past is soon forgotten . The mental advantage comes from your last meeting , which I hate to say is in Garys favor. Gary has been a great competitor through out the years and I look forward to testing his abilities again in the future. Its been over three years since we have pulled against each other? Someone please hold a heavyweight tournament.

Arturo, you don't need to touch the pad to win, you need to be on the same level as the pad or touch the pad.

Arturo, you don't need to touch the pad to win, you need to be on the same level as the pad or touch the pad.

Thanks Florian, I never knew this!! .. I'm still not clear though, "on the same level"?? What bodypart needs to be on the same level? And by level, do you mean the height of the pad?

Thanks Florian, I never knew this!! .. I'm still not clear though, "on the same level"?? What bodypart needs to be on the same level? And by level, do you mean the height of the pad?

On the same level means the height of the pads. Probably you have to be a bit below that level (not sure about this). I think it's the hand of you or your opponent that has to be there, but I'm not really in expert in the armwrestling rules.

First, A Parallel pin is when your natural wrist line drops below the pin pad. So this match looked like a Parrallel pin to me.

Gary was a monster.

Over the years Gary only won 4 times against John that I can think of but again IF I remember right. The last time they pulled Gary won. Gary would do very well against todays heavy weights. Once Gary learned how to pull with knuckles up and develop his back pressure he could give John fits. This is when John had to hook him and then roll his whole hand to finish him. Gary had the stlye and speed like Travis Bagent but Garys arm was much stronger.

First, A Parallel pin is when your natural wrist line drops below the pin pad. So this match looked like a Parrallel pin to me.

Gary was a monster.

Over the years Gary only won 4 times against John that I can think of but again IF I remember right. The last time they pulled Gary won. Gary would do very well against todays heavy weights. Once Gary learned how to pull with knuckles up and develop his back pressure he could give John fits. This is when John had to hook him and then roll his whole hand to finish him. Gary had the stlye and speed like Travis Bagent but Garys arm was much stronger.

Bob, as you can see from what I quoted from the "Ask John Brzenk" pages, John says he pulled Gary 30-40 times over the years, in competition!... now, you remember 4 victories for Gary.. assuming you are forgetting a couple of others, still it would seem John won the vast majority of their matches? Still a great acomplishment to have beat John several times, as nowdays he looks unbeatable.

Awesome link Florian!

Young Cobra looked insane, lol... and this is the first time I see Gary Goodridge doing what he's really good at, AW... that Gary has some b@lls, trying to stand up against Fedor in MMA fighting... oh well, guess money motivates people to do other stuff. Do you have more links to old Brzenk matches? (late 80's, early-mid 90's?), because most of the stuff one can find on the net is from 2000+.

Awesome link Florian!

Young Cobra looked insane, lol... and this is the first time I see Gary Goodridge doing what he's really good at, AW... that Gary has some b@lls, trying to stand up against Fedor in MMA fighting... oh well, guess money motivates people to do other stuff. Do you have more links to old Brzenk matches? (late 80's, early-mid 90's?), because most of the stuff one can find on the net is from 2000+.

Sorry, I also would like to see more older videos. This is the reason I started this thread. I hope others will post nice videos too.

Awesome link Florian!

Gary's a good fighter as well.......In K-1 he has had some very good matches....and as well in MMA.....

Awesome link Florian!

Here you go, clips from 1985:

http://www.worldofarmwrestling.com/en/inde...iew&id=1262

Cool matches there, Florian!! Who is that John Buononato guy? Never heard of him! Johnny Walker was great from what I've seen/heard!!

In the match John Buononato, USA VS John Brzenk, USA it looks like they started in a hook. Did they have different rules back in these days?

They were Tony Selest tournaments. They started in a half hook.

Thanks for your answer Bob! This is interesting.

WWC 1977 Petaluma:

WWC 1977 Petaluma:

nice vid flo has anyone figured out how to save the vids from you tube yet i cant do it any ideas :unsure

WWC 1977 Petaluma:

nice vid flo has anyone figured out how to save the vids from you tube yet i cant do it any ideas :unsure

I heard there was a website you could do it from.......try searching for that.