Slim Syyle Bending

climber511

Deaner, I found Tommy's video to be very inspirational too. I've tried the arms straight out DO technique a few times and my best is a 60d. Not nearly as easy as Tommy though. That with the G5 is just sick.

- Aaron

I'm doing my best not to be difficult.

Why is critiqueing Slim such a taboo subject? I dont see the disrespect here. Slim has been honored by having a tech named after him, was he the first man to bend like this? I dont know but I doubt it. I mean was it/is it disrespectful to James Nesmith for the NBA to change rules in a sport he invented? The Holle bros began DO bending as we know it yet no one has cried foul as the gripboard has written standards for that type of bending>.. Saw the same thing when Slims levering feats were critiqued...Just dont get it I guess.....Crap we all wanna be like Slim, he is one of the Gold standards in the grip world, I think we honor him by trying to perform his feats the way we see him do them......Brett
First you gotta forgive me, I have no idea who James Nesmith is or anything about basketball.

What I'm trying to get across to the people here is that this thread has nothing to do with Slim. The way Tommy bent that G5 is fantastic! I've seen Tommy do this with my own eyes, and it has nothing to do with the way Slim bends. People have called this "Slim" style mainly out of ignorance.

The thing that drives me nuts is misinformation. It is misleading to name something incorrectly. This creats confusion for the people who come behind us trying to learn.

By all means I agree with what you wrote here:

I think we honor him by trying to perform his feats the way we see him do them..
In order to do this you must SEE it. Watch a film, meet the person you respect, ask appropirate questions. This applys to anybody or anything. Do not assume.

Another thing to talk about is the difference between the grip world and feats of strength. However, I don't think I'll ever have the energy to do this on the Gripboard.

I'm done.

-Erik

I have to admit I got a pretty good chuckle out of writing rules for Slim's style when Slim isn't even a member.

I think Tommy's G5 is the most impressive "kink" out there right now while Terminator's 3/8" bend is the most impressive crushdown

My bad on even mentioning that. I know better.

Take Slim's name out of it.

Arms extended bending or arms at 90 degree at waste level bending. What degree kink would you say completes that? Fair to say crush down is not neccessary in that manner.

One bending luminary (will let him mention his name here) on a call with me said he believes 45 degrees would be enough on that style to be considered done in that style.

What say you guys?

W

Don't the Euro guys go to 60 degrees on their steel kinking? Is that unreasonable for this style? I don't know??

I tried this with some easy 3/16" steel last night, I can tell you 90 degrees seems physically impractical on a max effort palms down bend. It was hard to do even with 3/16", kinda like finishing a DU bend entirely in the DU position.

I would think whatever angle is used for DU should be used for this as well. It'd probably be easiest if all non-DO styles used the same angle for the point that needs to be reached to go into the crush down. If the reverse bending thread is any indication, this changes at the high levels of steel that most aren't going to be able to bend. I wonder what Tommy thinks. He's done the best display of this style I've ever seen.

Does anyone on here know slim personally, I wonder if he'd like to put in some thoughts on this? I'm thinking he would be flattered and extremely helpful, I'd personally like to see a slim style cert, 60d, g5, g8, red would be great. Strict judging like MM certs with minimal padding, bring it to at least 90, then we could take out crushdown as part of the cert.

Did this more, one palm up and one palm down doesn't really work.

Palms up seems really hard on the wrists, in a bad way. For me at least, it starts at the very end of my range of motion for supination. Doesn't feel safe.

Palms down, I did about 6 pieces of 3/16" round, ranging from 6 to 4 inches. I think 45 degrees is an appropriate standard. To go further than that on the shorter steel, you have to do the sweep of the bend with ends of the steel pushing into the center of the palm. It's a feat of hand toughness in addtion to strength past 45 degrees. Doing the style with my arms relatively straight like Tommy felt better on my wrists.

I could not do a timber tie palms down. Tommy's grade 5 is even more impressive to me now.

I don't know either, but that's because I'm too busy with real lifting, stones deadlifts, squats, to have time for parlor tricks like that.

You didn't think that a couple months ago

always good to know the big guys are thinking of us lesser genetic gifted ppl:)

I don't know either, but that's because I'm too busy with real lifting, stones deadlifts, squats, to have time for parlor tricks like that.

He said someone else posted that, and that they would be dealt with (it was in the Jedd johnson's birthday topic). The only thing I find weird is how that person knows this much about lifting unless it's just one of his friends.

Hammerhead

I fully agree with your post but ignorance is only being used because people wont pass stuff on how else are people to learn if it aint getting passed on by the right people we had all this with kim wood he often used to critisise people about things,why not take the time instead to pass on his vast wealth of knowledge.

GO KEV!!

I'm going after this tonight to see what angle I can get on fairly easy steel without stopping.

45 to 75 degrees is what I'm shooting for, I'll let you know how it goes.

I have some useless grade 2 carriage bolts that need something evil done to them. After Ben shot me his bending kit, I don't play with that stuff anymore.

Dub, pay attention to the angle where you have to switch hand positioning. I think you'll be able to get the bar almost to 90, but a little past 45 you will need to slide your hands our on the bar to prevent your fingers from getting in the way. This puts the ends of the nails in the centers of the palm, which was not pleasant in my experience.