Slim Syyle Bending

climber511

Guys - what if any are the rules for Slim style bending. Do you bend to a certain angle and consider that finished? Thanks for any help.

Bump.

Anyone know the answer to this?

W

I thought Slim style was always just DO without the hands so far out to the edges. It looks like DO but his hands are way in like DU, but still pretty close to his chest.

There is a video somewhere of Tommy Heslep bending a grade 5 with his arms extended out in front of him. That's what I always viewed as Slim Style Bending.

Mr. Siversson, Mr. Horne, either of you guys know?

I thought Slim style was always just DO without the hands so far out to the edges. It looks like DO but his hands are way in like DU, but still pretty close to his chest.

THe bending you see Tommy doing in this video is Slim style. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=4490

DO but held out in front of you away from the body. Hard as all get out! I have no idea how Tommy dose a G5 like that ,but it is dang strong! This is how Slim would bend 60 Ds. No idea if he ever did more than that because back in the day a 60 d was the big bend. now adays it is not a big bend but done the way Slim did it is still a great bend.

Didn't Slim do a 100d nail in that fashion?

I always thought that Slim Style was done with the arms extended, like Tommy's video, but on the DVD of him that I have that I got from Dennis Roger's, it clearly shows that he used a style more that of a double overhand, only with the hands positioned about mid torso, instead of up high under the chin.

I'd like to hear input from Pat P. or John Wood to see if he did actually specialize in the arms-straight-out method.

-Jedd-

At least a couple people have seen the DVD. I'm pretty sure Chris has. He clearly explains it in there. Slim also talks about it in the bonus DVD.

I'm not going to describe it because if you want to see it get the DVD. That's what it's there for; hell, it even shows him doing it.

It's not typical DO style.

-HH

I have the DVD and it's great. Slim bends the neil like Tommy but his hand was almost completely straight. And I don't think he used his thumb sides to help his bend. Plus it was only with a little wrap from a towel.

I have the DVD and it's great. Slim bends the neil like Tommy but his hand was almost completely straight. And I don't think he used his thumb sides to help his bend. Plus it was only with a little wrap from a towel.

I am sorry bro, but this just isn't true. He starts with the nail out in front but that is only for his psyche up or whatever. He then brings in it close like a low low DO and gets it going.

-Jedd-

I just spoke to Dennis Rogers on the phone. Dennis told me that Slim wraps the nail in nothing but a hanky...yikes!!! :blink

Edited by jakeclaw

I have the slim DVD and have watched it repeatedly - also Tommy's "out front" bend. It's getting obvious that this style hasn't been developed to the point where it has a set of rules like are being done with DO -DU - Reverse. I was just wondering for my own information. A set of "guidelines" would be nice to have. So those or you who have an opinion, please voice it. This style seems to offer a unique forearm twist to training.

A good way to keep it "strict" is to rest your forearms on a bench or table, keep your elboys pretty much in one spot, then theres really no way to use any muscle besides your wrists. Sorry I know this isn't about slim style, just a little something I've tried. I'm really not sure how anyone can claim what "real" bending is though. The way Tommy did that grade 5 was amazing! World class stuff without a doubt. We would have to have guidelines and strict judging if we want a legit standard for "slim style" or "real bending" if you will. As long as your hands are close and you use minimal padding, I'd call it "real" bending.

So Slim does it chest level. Does John B. do it chest or waist level? I've never seen him bend just the pictures in his book. The pictures look like he's pretty far down.

I would have to think this works the wrists even more than reverse. Almost all wrists ,forearms, and hands takes most all of the shoulders, chest, bi's and tri's ou of it.

I always assumed the defining feature of a Slim style bend was to use the strength that supinates the hands to bend the nail. Didn't think it mattered if the arms were straight or bent.

I would expect double overhand at the chest level using just hand strength to rely upon the muscles that perform a front lever. It's been a long time since I've seen any of the Slim DVD though, so I couldn't say if that is what he's doing or not.

Would everyone be comfortable with a 90 degree rule for slim style then?

I guess we could set the standard we are all happy with here going forward for this style of bending.

Anyone agree disagree?

Why would the people of the Gripboard write the rules for "Slim" style. Shouldn't Slim be the judge of his own feats?

We have no business stating how something should or shouldn't be performed if it has already been pioneered by sombody else, and then attributing "a style" to that individual.

Not only is it misleading to those who don't know but it is disrespectful.

If you want to do things like Slim study him.

If you want to do things like Brookfield, study him.

If you want to do things like Dennis, study him.

If you want to do short bending and be able to compare yourself to others with standardized rules, then use the rules already set in place by The Gripboard, FBBC, and Ironmind.

-Erik

Point taken, no offense was intended.

I guess we can continue to not have a clear cut picture on what that is

Or we can name a 4th bending style and write up the rules for it, arms extended bending?

My only thought about coming up with the rules here was to compare ourselves with each other as we like to do.

Edited by dubthewonderscot

I think having the arms extended or having the arms bent at waist level has nothing to do with the style of the bend. I can do reverse bending with my arms extended no problem. Personally, I'd prefer to see this style of bending done with the arms at 90 degrees and the hands at waist level. It minimizes what you can get from the chest and back, and also causes it to look much different than the other styles.

"Slim" style is the name most people attribute to this style of bend currently, I believe. I don't think it's a good name as it's non-descriptive. It's really a strict form of double overhand relying upon wrist supination, but Strict Double Overhand isn't the greatest name. The difference between that name and double overhand is very subtle.

It's really Supination Style, but that doesn't roll off the tounge very well. I'd like to see it get a better name though. One of the projects I have in the queue for gripfaq.com is a bending page, and I'd like to include the 4 common styles of unbraced bending. I'll put whatever name is currently agreed upon on the gripboard on there, and it can propogate through the internets.

Looking at the big picture, there are really 6 different styles of ubraced bending possible:

DO: Uses front lever strength in both wrists

DU: Uses overhead or rear lever strength in both wrists

Reverse: Use overhead lever strength in one wrist, front lever strength in the other

Supinated style: Uses supinating strength in both wrists

Pronated style: Uses pronating strength in both wrists

???: Uses supinating strength in one wrist, pronating strength in the other

The styles that use levering type strength are stronger and much more popular. The styles relying on wrist pronation / supination aren't as popular because they aren't as strong. I assume the "Slim" style is the strongest of those. It may be pointless to recognize the others. I don't know.

Could be it's Palms Down style. That leaves things open for Palms Up style. As well as Palms Down Up style. Then they can be abbreviated PD, PU, and PDU. I like that and it's what I'm going to use if nothing better than Slim style is come up with.

Why would the people of the Gripboard write the rules for "Slim" style. Shouldn't Slim be the judge of his own feats?

We have no business stating how something should or shouldn't be performed if it has already been pioneered by sombody else, and then attributing "a style" to that individual.

Not only is it misleading to those who don't know but it is disrespectful.

If you want to do things like Slim study him.

If you want to do things like Brookfield, study him.

If you want to do things like Dennis, study him.

If you want to do short bending and be able to compare yourself to others with standardized rules, then use the rules already set in place by The Gripboard, FBBC, and Ironmind.

-Erik

Why is critiqueing Slim such a taboo subject? I dont see the disrespect here. Slim has been honored by having a tech named after him, was he the first man to bend like this? I dont know but I doubt it. I mean was it/is it disrespectful to James Nesmith for the NBA to change rules in a sport he invented? The Holle bros began DO bending as we know it yet no one has cried foul as the gripboard has written standards for that type of bending>.. Saw the same thing when Slims levering feats were critiqued...Just dont get it I guess.....Crap we all wanna be like Slim, he is one of the Gold standards in the grip world, I think we honor him by trying to perform his feats the way we see him do them......Brett

THe bending you see Tommy doing in this video is Slim style. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...si&img=4490

DO but held out in front of you away from the body. Hard as all get out! I have no idea how Tommy dose a G5 like that ,but it is dang strong! This is how Slim would bend 60 Ds. No idea if he ever did more than that because back in the day a 60 d was the big bend. now adays it is not a big bend but done the way Slim did it is still a great bend.

That was truelly inspirational, can anyone besides Slim come anywhere close to this? Wouldn't it be cool to see what some of the other bending superstars could do with this style?