British grip champs entry reminder

David Horne

I have a list of competitors who have shown interest in competing this year, and I want to remind those that frequent this site that entrance fees are due in by 13th July. I'm away on holiday in July just in case you phone or email me then. Here is the list so far, with a few suprises. By the way, some have already paid, so please discount this reminder if you already have.

OPEN

David Horne (CoC)

Elizabeth Talbot

Jim Wylie (CoC)

Michael Daly (CoC)

Brian Carlton (U.S.A.)

Steve Gardener (CoC)

Martin Whittred (CoC)

Paul Preece (CoC)

Marc Wylie (Just closed the #3)

Nick McKinless (CoC) Going to try and make it

Kalle Lane (Winner of 3 Loddekopinge Grip Champs)

INTERMEDIATE

Richard Scott

Gary Hunt

Jason Horne

Dave Warrilow

Dave Johnson

Ed Hommers

NOVICE

Faheem Chauhan

Oliver Horne

Scott Essery

Ian Marsland

Paul Marsland

Paul Patterson

Louis Wilson

Nick Tangi

David Vass

Ian Farish

Matt Makousky (U.S.A.)

Andrew Christie

Brian Carlton and Matt Makousky can send me $15 cash each. Kalle get in touch with me, or via Arne Persson.

It's a strong contest.

See you all soon, David

I'm shocked that some are still, after all the comps they have entered, in the novice and intermediate classes. C'mon boys step up to the plate!!  :p

Guest 115-1005574997

now steve

some of us arent blessed with your atributes so just concentrate on the open section and lets hope some of us novices dont end up outlifting you on one or two lifts :)

Dave

Great showing this year and i cant wait until the 3rd of august.  there are no easy sections and all 3 will be very hotley contested.

From a competitor I apreciate your effort as a contestant, BRING IT ON!!!!  :D

Good luck to all.

Scott its precisely because I know that one or 2 will beat us open boys that i think they should move up. I'm thinking both of the Marsland boys, David Vass and yourself should go up one to Intermediate. Even big Dave H himself has been overheard encouraging them (last years comp). I mean I could have gone in the novices last year - how daft would that have been. Plus those that stay down and lift well hav a points advantage over us big, strong and heavy uns (I'm probably gonna be the heaviest this year and that puts me at a disadvantage straight away!).

From the intermediates I'd suggest Richard and possibly young Jason are about ready - esp with his age allowance.

So come on up!!      ;)

Steve,

With a field of a possible 11 competitors, the Open section is well represented. I do think that possibly Richard and Jason will be in the Open section next year. The Intermediate winner goes up automatically anyway. Also a few will move from the Novice section to the Inter next year.  

Old guy said in another post that I will win every event. I can state with conviction that there is no way this will happen! It will be close at the top, take it from me.

David

Guest 115-1005574997

being a novice, i know for a fact our strength levels are very close.  thats how the sections are decided and thats fair.  the amount of training time under your belt isnt a fair indicatior and all open lifters are (or mostly are) certified.

If a bloke has 3 good lifts and 3 rubbish ones (steve) then work harder on your weakness

Guest Marso2

David,

as far as I'm aware our paul will only be spectating this year. I'll get my entry fee to you ASAP.

Steve,  as for me going in the intermediate class .. NO WAY ..I've still got a long way to go before I tangle with the boys in the intermediate class .. really looking forward to august 3rd though

Cheers

Ian

Guest Marso2

David,

as far as I'm aware our paul will only be spectating this year. I'll get my entry fee to you ASAP.

Steve,  as for me going in the intermediate class .. NO WAY ..I've still got a long way to go before I tangle with the boys in the intermediate class .. really looking forward to august 3rd though

Cheers

Ian

I think that the entries for this years comp are about right and the results will reflect this come August 3rd.  The categories are based on ability not competition experience, a novice doesn’t necessarily describe somebody who has never competed before.  I believe that everyone in each of the separate categories has a similar level of ability and it should make for a exciting competition.  All looks fair to me :)

David may very well win the overall competition (baring mistakes) but everyone turning up is going to be taking the competition very seriously and won’t be letting him walk away with it ;).  Should be a great day.  Good luck to all involved!

Guest baldy
If a bloke has 3 good lifts and 3 rubbish ones (steve) then work harder on your weakness

Wow Scott, tell us what you really think. :)

My 'rubbish' being relative to the Novice class of course (scott) he he   :p

And, just to prattle on about it in detail.... I have been training strangely enough.

My point about moving on up was based on the simple fact that in spite of the so-called reasoning given I can still enter the (or could have done) Novice class. Typically and even under Dave's rules it means someone new to the sport. As this will only be my second competition that technically makes me a learner or novice.

Some, Scott not included, have lifts which are worthy of open class status if the standard and weight is taken into account. You add the number of comps and ta da - they should move up - don't forget these are mere suggestions.

Scott has, quite rightly, stated on many occasions that we should endevour to do our best ie Personal Bests (PB's) only attempting to win if we can. However, it is also a truism (sp) that moving up a class may well make you train harder, therfore performing better. You might not win, I haven't, but you'll lift more than you thought you could.

I also beleive, even if the Marso's and Scott do not, that they can improve enough, lift more and are ready for a move up. Sometimes you yourself are not aware of your own abilities until tested. Be brave   ;)

Now, now lads. I'm absolutely sure everyone will be doing their best on the day. It will be a tough day, and I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

See ya all soon, and good luck, David

Ahh Dave I wanted to have two nubile young ladies take of my cape while a MC shouts 'lets get ready to RUMBLE!!!'

Steve,

That image does tickle me a bit, especially if you wear your wrestling leotard. Or we could have a sumo match to start the day off. You and Scott could throw the salt around before charging into each other trying to knock each other off the platform. But you both would have to don a nappy!

David

Stop press.

Another competitor from Sweden is coming over for the grip contest. Arne Persson is going to compete in the Intermediate section.

Well done! David

Hello All,

It's been quite a while since I've been on here, but it's good to see the same names and a faces. :D

Steve, thanks for the compliment, but I'm with Ian in that I believe we are still of a novice level of strength and competitive experiance.

Dave, as of this time of writing I probably won't be competing, as I haven't had sufficient time to train for it, :( but I will be attending as Brian Carlton will be travelling down with us for the competition.

Ian still thinks I should compete, so I may just bring my entrance fee with on the day, as look what happened with Martin last year..................he won!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again and it's good to see the BRITISH Grip champs has gone International.

See you soon!!

Paul. :D

Guest 115-1005574997

Ummmm on reflection 'rubbish' may not have been the most appropriate word to use ..... but its certainly got everyone into the right spirit :)

Steve

you are a coc with a weaver stick world record and possibly world class pinch grip and thick bar lifts.  Should you be in the novice where most people will be pinching 70 to 75k and wrist curling 100k?  Not fair is it.  Just do you best on the day with the vbar and you'll never know what you can do until you try (and if eliz beats your ass there’s no shame in it, you, like everyone, has done your best).

Dave

Its the fairest system mate.  each class consist of people with similar strength levels and the top 2 move into the next class up.  that why its competitive and the trainee aspires to do better without being overawed.  I effectively came last, the previous year and im realistically looking at a mid table finish this year.  that’s enough incentive for me and I know Ian is stronger than ever.  so what’s the advantage of putting people who can, say, curl 50k against blokes who curl 70k.  That’s a disincentive!

If you can get a nappy to fit im up for a sumo bought  :D

Jim

Cheers mate.  I give 100% and if i break a PB i don’t mind letting people know.  This years open section will be great.  Dave WONT win all the 6 lifts and its constancy within the 6 that counts.  Its going to be a lot closer in all 3 sections that people think. And your going to be pushing Dave HARD!

Arne Persson its great to hear your coming.  Im looking forward to meeting you in person and get some pinch grip tips!

I hope the 'thick bar extravaganza' is still on. Bakini clad nubile young lady’s would be nice (any chance Dave, it would be popular!) but top billing of who’s the first to lift the MDbell?  who’s the king of the thick bar?  who can farmers walk 2x inch replicas?  If im going to wear a nappy and get slapped about you guys had better do something to :)

Scott your response was great - I laughed out loud. I suspect on the table top wrist curl Liz will beat me and so am glad to hear there's no shame in it - I'll try and remember on the day...

Re the Millennium dumbbell. Unless I get a lift its staying here I have, however, been giving some training time to the 2 handed Inch lift and will have a go Sunday (I'm on my 2 weeks annual vacation  - hopefully as its not been confirmed).

BTW anything that gets it interesting and makes for a more entertaining afternoon I'm all for it!! Bring it on.

:p

I'm looking forward to meet You all! :)

Just an idea, but how about asking the mighty Sybersnott to send over his 535IP #4 for the day.  It would be great to have this at hand on the day of the comp for all the CoC’s to have a bash at.  What do you reckon Mr Snott?  Are you willing to lend Mr Horne your #4 for a few days?