John Brzenk On Www.ironmind.com

Florian Kellersmann

Thanks for the update, John!

The credit card makes it much harder for the most of us - it depends on the hand size and length of the fingers though. But I think your hand is big enough to do it (I saw a pic on armpower.net with your hand and measure tape).

On the Rolling Thunder (RT) an official lift for the Ironmind record list is with the thumb on the other side of the handle away from the fingers.

If we place the thumb on the same side as the fingers we call it a thumbless lift. I prefer this for training, since I hope I can strengthen my fingers and wrist for armwrestling (stopping a toproll) this way.

John, could you give us some training results with your RT? I'm very curious since I think that this is a very aw-related grip exercise (more than grippers and pinch f.e.).

Flo

After watching some technique on how it's done....I got the 2.5 closed ..... :)

Not sure about fumbling with a credit card though....

I can't wait to get a few weeks off to try hurting myself on the #3.

I need to try it now with some chalk.

Nice! :rock You will no doubt, smash that #3 very soon. I'm sure you will put the hurt on the #4 as well! Keep up the hard work! :bow

The credit card makes it much harder for the most of us - it depends on the hand size and length of the fingers though. But I think your hand is big enough to do it (I saw a pic on armpower.net with your hand and measure tape).

On the Rolling Thunder (RT) an official lift for the Ironmind record list is with the thumb on the other side of the handle away from the fingers.

If we place the thumb on the same side as the fingers we call it a thumbless lift. I prefer this for training, since I hope I can strengthen my fingers and wrist for armwrestling (stopping a toproll) this way.

John, could you give us some training results with your RT? I'm very curious since I think that this is a very aw-related grip exercise (more than grippers and pinch f.e.).

Flo

I haven’t had the rolling thunder handle for very long.

I started playing with it a bit with about 120 lbs on it and yes I also think it has helped my hand strength for armwrestling…noticeably.

I upped it the other day to 165 ….and tried it to see what it felt like ….it wasn’t to bad although I didn’t want to push it because I have an event this weekend in Warsaw.

But I think it will be my new weight for awhile ….although with the lighter weight I like lifting it with a wrist curling motion while doing a rowing motion …. bent over.

This heavier weight may limit my ability to do that….

Shoot for the amounts some of those guys are doing I would need a new back for sure….I’m sure my lower back would snap even if I could even manage to hang onto that much weight …..I need to hang onto something while lifting it…..I guess that’s cheating.

I’ll have to try with the thumb on the other side….I’m sure it’s harder that way.

I'm bad with keeping track of reps ....Is the normal lift just repeat deadlifts???

Hi John,

I perform these in my regular workouts and I prefer to do multiple single attempts with a hold at the top. I'll lift the weight and when I'm completely locked-out (in the standing position), I'll hold the weight for up to ten seconds. If I can hold the weight for ten seconds, I add more and drop down to about three to five seconds. I keep working on this weight for time until I hit ten seconds again and then add more. I usually only do 3 to 5 attempts in a session, two or three times a week. This has worked well for me. I'm sure there are some other great suggestions here for improvement in this lift.

Flo

I started playing with it a bit with about 120 lbs on it and yes I also think it has helped my hand strength for armwrestling…noticeably.

I upped it the other day to 165 ….and tried it to see what it felt like ….it wasn’t to bad although I didn’t want to push it because I have an event this weekend in Warsaw.

But I think it will be my new weight for awhile ….although with the lighter weight I like lifting it with a wrist curling motion while doing a rowing motion …. bent over.

Shoot for the amounts some of those guys are doing I would need a new back for sure….I’m sure my lower back would snap even if I could even manage to hang onto that much weight …..I need to hang onto something while lifting it…..I guess that’s cheating.

I’ll have to try with the thumb on the other side….I’m sure it’s harder that way.

I'm bad with keeping track of reps ....Is the normal lift just repeat deadlifts???

John - just a reminder - you ripped up 187 on the GNC Grip Gauntlet stage at the olympia and banged out a bunch of reps on a new #2. You are capable of over 200 on the Rolling Thunder without a doubt.

Wade

John should close the #3 very soon if he keeps "playing" with it, I'm sure it's very close even now for him. He'll need a BBE or 3.5 in a month for sure :)

Good luck at Zloty Tur!

• 3 weeks later...

ahahahaha . WHAT THE HELL. i couldnt even close the guide like that :D . i can do 3-5 reps on #2 usually. but that way of closing it was haaard

• 1 month later...

Flo

Didn't notice this till now but are you saying you wrist curl 120 on the rolling thunder while doing a rowing motion as well?