John Brzenk On Www.ironmind.com

Florian Kellersmann

John Brzenk on Ironmind.com talks about Grippers.

We talked about this gripper technique here on the gripboard before. I my opinion, a 1.5 close in this manner is very very good. I'm not even close to this, but I will give this training method a serious try now. What gripper can you guys close in this manner?

If I ever get a forearm like that.... I'll have achieved my goal in this life :tongue

Cool thing he's thinking about going for the #3, we'll see how long it takes him, I bet not much.

I just tried a #1 and a #2 and got both in this manner. This is a very cool technigue :rock Maybe my hand size plays a part in this technigue...not sure.

I just tried a #1 and a #2 and got both in this manner. This is a very cool technigue :rock Maybe my hand size plays a part in this technigue...not sure.

:bow Thanks for your input, Chad. Don't know, why handsize should play a big role here. I guess this is simple one of my big weaknesses. The tendons start to jump when I attempt a gripper in this manner.

The reason for your strength in this way of closing grippers is probably your armwrestling genetic, Chad :D

:bow Thanks for your input, Chad. Don't know, why handsize should play a big role here. I guess this is simple one of my big weaknesses. The tendons start to jump when I attempt a gripper in this manner.

The reason for your strength in this way of closing grippers is probably your armwrestling genetic, Chad :D

When I first tried it.....it did that to me too. But after a training session I feel it less and less now it's almost like anything else. I think it's just something if you've never done it or something that puts similar stress there much it takes a few training sessions to get comfortable with.

The #2 pops open about 1/8" on me in a full hook. In around a 1/2 hook I can keep it shut.

The #2 pops open about 1/8" on me in a full hook. In around a 1/2 hook I can keep it shut.

So you close it and THEN curl the wrist, jad?

What can you do starting the close with the bent wrist?

ISG on 1,3 for 3 reps. Handsize is a HUGE factor if you START with your wrist bent. My pinky doesn't even touch the handle and my index finger is just barely on, definitely not wrapped. For me to get my fingers on in good position it's so far back in my hand that I'd basically have to pinch it shut, like a card tearing grip

I tried this last night and had to fight to shut the HG100 starting with the wrist fully cocked. Feels weird, like there's no leverage at all. I can shut a HG250 usually.

I tried this last night and had to fight to shut the HG100 starting with the wrist fully cocked. Feels weird, like there's no leverage at all. I can shut a HG250 usually.

To work up to it, try closing the gripper first, hold it shut and then curl your wrist in and out (for reps). I tried this last night and it was interesting, to say the least! :rock To already have your wrist bent and then close the gripper is a real feat! :rock

closing a gripper in this way is no test of strength all of your tendons run through a sheath in your wrist like a lawnmower cable that controls the gas if you kink it its harder to pull. some people have bigger and more fluid filled and flexible sheaths that allow the tendon to pull through it all these guys that do it this way will pull something or get hurt easer than with a straight wrist http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=4300 good luck :whacked

closing a gripper in this way is no test of strength all of your tendons run through a sheath in your wrist like a lawnmower cable that controls the gas if you kink it its harder to pull. some people have bigger and more fluid filled and flexible sheaths that allow the tendon to pull through it all these guys that do it this way will pull something or get hurt easer than with a straight wrist http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/generateexhibit.php?ID=4300 good luck :whacked

Excellent, insightful point. B-4 guys start hurting themselves, trying this.

I was about to institute this technique into my normal routine, but

will not go at it full speed now.

I don't have a 2 anymore, but IIRC, I could come pretty close that way. I don't think I'll train it though, after seeing Dan's post.

I agree with Dan about the injury probability of closing grippers this way. However, you can add flexibility to the tendons and ligaments by slowly working on this. I have been working on wrist flexibility doing this exercise for most of this year and slowly things are coming around. I also do cocked wrist Rolling Thunder lifts to force my hand to squeeze tight when the tendons of the wrist are being pulled tight.

I agree that it is more of a tendon flexibility issue. I might do some of these, as a way to break up the monotony. Here's the palm view of the tendons...

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/enlargeexhibit.php?ID=2660

i also agree that this is flexibility because i'm not even close to jad or florian's grip level and i can do this with my #2 easily and can bend about a 1/4 of the way with my SM. with my hg250, which is about a 1.5, i can actually move my wrist around in a circle.

i also agree that this is flexibility because i'm not even close to jad or florian's grip level and i can do this with my #2 easily and can bend about a 1/4 of the way with my SM. with my hg250, which is about a 1.5, i can actually move my wrist around in a circle.

Duuuude! You're nowhere near their strength? I just looked in your gallery and you mashed a BBE! The #2 must be a joke to you :)

Don't listen to him. Wayne is a true monster. Bending a bastard in less than 30 seconds, Killed the spike in less than 10 seconds, and choking the Elite to death. Now tell me how is he isn't strong? :D

thanks for the kind words. i'll admit i'm no slouch but i have a serious road of training ahead of me before i'm in the same league as some of the men on this board, including Josh and Florian. i can close a BBE but Josh i believe has closed a #4 and Florian can absolutely dominate a silver elite, which is much harder than a new one. my guess is hes somwhere around the SE level? anyway, thats all i meant. the fact that i can bend my wrist with a harder gripper than they can shows that there is other factors than just grip strength.

thanks for the kind words. i'll admit i'm no slouch but i have a serious road of training ahead of me before i'm in the same league as some of the men on this board, including Josh and Florian. i can close a BBE but Josh i believe has closed a #4 and Florian can absolutely dominate a silver elite, which is much harder than a new one. my guess is hes somwhere around the SE level? anyway, thats all i meant. the fact that i can bend my wrist with a harder gripper than they can shows that there is other factors than just grip strength.

Flo is a "Grip Master" and Josh is also VERY strong in grippers :rock

Edited by Too Tall

After watching some technique on how it's done....I got the 2.5 closed ..... :)

Not sure about fumbling with a credit card though....

I can't wait to get a few weeks off to try hurting myself on the #3.

I need to try it now with some chalk.

Edited by Brzenk

On the rolling thunder lift ....What does thumbless mean.....does the thumb have to be placed on the other side of the handle away from the fingers....