New Beginning, Emexs Log

EmEx

Decided to start a log mainly to keep myself motivated- but I am happy for any comments, negative or positive.

I just started working out again on Oct. 20th

Bodyweight: 128lbs

Height: 5'8

I do a kind of HIT workout with split routine, I hit each muscle on average once per week at the moment, at most workouts one set and one exercise per body part till absolute failure.

When I started a month ago my best lifts were:

Incline Bench Press: 92x5 {80 +12}(I think the bar weighs 12lbs)

Full chin ups: (Bodyweight)+50x 6¾

Neck Lift: 35 neck parallel to floor attached above ears

Squats: 100x?

Hammer Curls: 35x4

Military Press: 82x1

Reverse Wrist curls: 42x5

Wrist curls: 102x4

Platewristcurls: 25x8

Heavy Grip gripper: ?

My Goals till end of year:

Incline Bench Press: 142x2

Full chin ups: +100x2

Neck Lift: 70 neck parallel to floor attached above ears

Squats: 160x5

Hammer Curls: 45x5

Military Press: 97x3

Reverse Wrist curls: ?

Wristcurls: ?

Platewristcurls: ?

Heavy Grip gripper: close 250 both hands

Current bests (only improved lifts listed):

Incline Bench Press: 102x5

Full chin ups: +70x4½

Neck Lift: 50

Edited by EmEx

forgot to add that the 25lbs platewristcurls is with 2 hands

too bad you cant edit after a few minutes anymore

btw is a 10% strenght improvement in a month good for a newbie?

Edited by EmEx

I had those kinda gains too man, just expect a lot of big gains for awhile. Why do you do HIT stuff, anyway? Some certain preference to it?

Not critisizing, just wondering.

I had those kinda gains too man, just expect a lot of big gains for awhile. Why do you do HIT stuff, anyway? Some certain preference to it?

Not critisizing, just wondering.

"unseebeat" yeah i guess gains are fast at the begining, altough i heard a guy say that after he got fairly strong his gains increased faster.

I do hit because i purchased a HIT program booklet and i believe in it, many years ago i did some workout but only my biceps and forearms... lol and then i lost most of it again anyways just training one or two muscles is dumb imo.

With HIT i beat my PR almost every workout and i love the intensity and even the pain of it...... so far so good! and i believe that with HIT, gains come faster but thats just my "newbie" opinion....(the workout program that i follow is not a conventional HIT and actually only the first Phase has 1 set)

However with HIT i always have to go to absolute failure or the gains will be minimal and one might as well switch to a conventional exercise plan.

Anyways today i did my first real Squat workout

Squats in my opinion is the most brutal and painful exercise

Full Squats

72lbsx17

I do them with a lighter weight for the first few workouts to get used to it and avoid injury.

today i did some shrugs which ive never done before dont particulary enjoy this exercise so i have to think of something else for my traps

DB shrugs 52lbs each hand

necklifting 62lbs attached above ears neck parallel to floor (new PR)

platecurls 25lbs two hands for reps (have to get my wrists accustomed to the strain)

platepinching 2 25lbs plate with 2 hands (the plates are the slippery kind so they are harder then the olympic)

reversegrip wristcurls 52lbsx3 half repetitions then hold in parallel position till failure (new PR)

towel holds (holding on towel over pull up bar)

everything done to complete failure except for neck (or new) excercises as ive injured myself lightly with these before it seems that neck to failure= injury

had planned to do grippers too but my forearms were fried

Edited by EmEx

today did my first real ab workout ever

situps with 25lbs to chest 2 sets

cant wait to do squats again but still sore from my last set so will have to wait 2 or 3 days

Tonight a wrist and grip workout I train my forearm more often then other muscles at the moment (will have to see what the results are), have to get my wrists accustomed to the strain so I do higher reps (except reverse wristcurls)

Ok the workout:

-reverse grip wristcurls 52lbs x1½ then horizontal static hold till failure

-platewristcurls 25lbs with 2 hands (don’t go fully down with the movement)

-levering with DB

-thick handled dumbbell lifts ~73 lbs (handle is about 2.5 inch lose pipe put over the regular dumbbell [thx to “lone wolf” for the idea])

-bit of plate pinching

I always do 1 or 2 warm ups before anything but don’t list them here

Today I did squats again

Several sets of Full Front Squats with 92lbs

I actually wanted to go just one set to failure but somehow I gave up before my muscles failed also the bar kept slipping down from my left shoulder, the bar also hurts!

In addition my back seems to be too weak (weaker then my legs)…so I was kinda pissed and my ego hurt but I learned my lesson.

This is only my second time I do squats so I should focus on form and experience instead of lifting heavy for my ego…. I will probably do squats more often and gain experience and only then do squats the HIT style.

All in all it was good because I learned something :rock

Incline Bench press 107lbs x 4½

My previous was 102lbs x 5 ¼- 10 days ago so that’s about 4% strength increase :)

Actually wanted to do chins too but ran out of steam

Edited by EmEx

Incline Bench press 107lbs x 4½

My previous was 102lbs x 5 ¼- 10 days ago so that’s about 4% strength increase :)

Actually wanted to do chins too but ran out of steam

nice work on the PR

thanks "Chrisx9118"

today:

necklifting ~67lbs

neck all directions

I think thats quite good for a necklift? 3 more pounds and I reached my goal for this year :mosher

wanted to do some shrugs too but have no good way of doing these need a trap bar or something

built my own kind of trap bar with wood broomsticks and boards its a piece of shit :blink and shaky but o well i might built a better one..... dont think i will buy one as they are shitty expensive

Shrugs 105lbs x35/x20

The handels are fairly wide apart so they are somewhat tougher then dumbell shrugs

Did regular squats today think I am gonna stick with these as they are less painful on the shoulders…..

Full Squats 92lbs x10¼

What I did once I hit failure down there was walk over like a duck in the squat position to my desk and help myself up with my elbows :tongue

Did Grip and Wrist today

Reverse wrist curls 52lbs static holds

Plate wristcurling 25lbs plate + dumbbell stuck in middle (2 handed)

Sledge hammer levering

Thick handled dumbbell lifts 78lbs

Still thinking what kind of grip and wrist exercises I should stick to, want to concentrate on as few as possible.

Edited by EmEx

Chins +80x 2½

Shrugs 158lbs x8/x4

Ok my chins today were disappointing, I expected at least 4 chins in which case I would have increased in strength about 2% but with only 2½ reps, BB.com calculates my

one-rep-max to less then my last time with +75x 4½ and therefore according to BB.com I’ve become weaker :angry: … I actually do think ive become a little stronger but not as much as I expected :erm , so yeah I am a bit dissapointed

Someone cheer me up :cry

Squats 92lbs x12(or 13 don’t remember)

I only did 2 or 3 more reps then last time but this time I didn’t rest at the top while last time I rested for a few seconds between reps.

I am thinking about doing the 20 rep squat as described here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shannon10.htm

What do you guys think, anyone have experience with it?

I am also thinking about doing squats more often to increase growth hormones…..