Calling All Volunteers!

Bill Piche

Thanks for the plug Baldy ;)

The lifts described on my site are just the ones that have been performed in previous British Iron Grip events at the moment although I do intend to expand this section when I get 'round to it ???

BTW Scott Essery wrote the descriptions.

Geez, never saw those. We don't want to duplicate work by any means here.  Only one FAQ is needed.  Hmmmm.  How about some sort of collaboration here Jim?

I was also thinking about FAQ which means question and answer section like on this board. Expanding it in a doc.

I think that some of the descriptions would certainly complement your proposed FAQ.  You are welcome to use what you want for the grippage FAQ’s although some of the descriptions may need tailoring to fit in with what you have in mind. Like I said, the lift section on the site is currently geared around the lifts that have been used in past Iron Grip Events and the descriptions explain what constitutes a good lift in competition.  You’ll just have to pick and choose what is relevant.  Send me an email with a list of any info you would like to use or any additional info you require.

jim@ukgrip.info

Time holds :

Close the gripper and hold it closed for a period of time. You may try to shoot for the longest time you can keep the gripper closed or make a few sets of a target time.

Overcrush :

Choose a gripper you can close for a few reps. Close it and keep pushing like if you want to grind the handles. Crush until you feel your bones and keep that pressure for about 10 seconds.

Inverted grippers :

Close the gripper with the spring facing the floor. To do this, grab the gripper with the bottom of the handle on your index and the spring close the the pinkie.

More to come.

Grip Machines

These are devices that usually improve your crushing grip.  Most are of the floor model variety, but some can be attached to other types of equipment or be attached to the wall.  We will discuss four types of grip training machines:

Basic Plate Loaded Grip Machine

The Secret Weapon (by Joe Kinney)

The Gripanator (by PDA)

The G-Rex 621 (by Richard Sorin)

Your basic plate-loaded machine is the simpliest to use, and is made by many companies.  You add plates to it, then lift the bottom bar up to the upper bar and using your hands hold the bars together.  This machine is perfect for someone who is beginning grip training.

The Secret Weapon is a machine designed and built by Joe Kinney (the first man to officially close the #4).  It is a lever-type of machine that mimicks the grippers.  The bottom lever is where you add plates, you then lift the bottom lever up to the upper fixed horizontal bar.  You then use your hand to hold the two together.  When doing this, the bars closely resemble a closed gripper.

The Gripanator is a machine designed and built by PDA, after many questions and comments from customers and grip trainers on how to make a grip machine even better (following the design of the original machine called the Atlas).  It is a fully adjustable machine in terms of handle width, weights and degree of strength, depending on the customer.  It is a table-top grip machine like the Atlas.

The G-Rex 621 is a grip machine which involves several things together in one machine.  You have the bars for a simple plate-loaded machine, you have a "gripper" attachment, and then you have footplates (where you can add your own bodyweight), and a "pinch plate" (this allows you to pinch two plates together to train your pinch strength).  This machine was designed by Richard Sorin, the 1st official Captain Of Crush.

Right you are, Wanna.  But I omitted it because I am not familiar with the machine itself.  (Now, I'm being lazy.  I could pop over to the PDA site, and get a small description of it.  O.K., I'll add it).  :)

Also, since we talk about past strongmen (and some current ones too), maybe we can have Roark do a "Bio List" that would be a brief summary on each individual.

In my opinion, plate loaded grip machines should be classified by mechanical action. The basic styles include the following: guillotine style which includes the G-Rex 621, Joe Kinney's Secret Weapon, Hardy Handshake by IronMind, and the Gripanator by PDA.