Calling All Volunteers!

Bill Piche

Stevedana's post got me thinking.

How about we put together a grip FAQ. I volunteer to compile it and put pictures (one's we have) with the exercise descriptions.  Let's start with an exercise list of the most common grip exercises.

Thoughts?

Guest woody36

Wanna,

If it wasn't too much for you,maybe a small set/rep/

suggested beginners routine at the side of each exercise,

Followed by intermediate and advanced if the idea takes off.

Perhaps some of our more experienced board members

could provide sequence photos of certain lifts, etc.

Even showing 'positioning' for the gripper, and the

route a plate curl takes, what a strap hold involves,

how a one hand deadlift is begun, etc.

This would also be helpful regarding bending metal,

tearing cards, or tearing phone books.

Perhaps also, some photos of how NOT to perform

certain lifts- though this may not be needed if the

other photos are clearly presented.

For newcomers it is sometimes difficult to determine how

the finished position of a lift was reached.

And, whenever possible, please may be retain original lift

names.

Descriptions of the standard lifts that everybody does & pictures to illustrate them would be helpful. Things like strapholds, overcrushes, 1 & 2 hand pinch, wrist curl etc aren't your usual squat, bench press & a newbie could easily get lost in the new language.

Roark has a very good point : what to do and what to avoid. Even if you know how to perform an exercise, you may miss some little but very important points to observe.

Descriptions of the standard lifts that everybody does & pictures to illustrate them would be helpful. Things like strapholds, overcrushes, 1 & 2 hand pinch, wrist curl etc aren't your usual squat, bench press & a newbie could easily get lost in the new language.

Yes. Let's first start with proper exercises first. We make this project too big and it will fail right from the get go.

We first need a list of common grip exercises we use on this board.  Who wants to volunteer to do a draft of this list?

Oh come on, Wanna.... you're getting off the hook TOO easy!!  :p

First.... break down the lifts themselves when pertaining to grip:

Holding

Supporting

Crushing

Then introduce the different TYPES of tools that would train each part (this is done in the IM catalog), but we then need to have pictures of someone performing each one.  You might need someone with pretty hands (like Wannagrip) to pose for each one!!  I could give you some pics of the equipment that I have.... some other members can do the same thing.  You then piece it together!!  :p  

Now..... wasn't THAT easy?!?  :)  :D

I vote for Tou.

(Uh, Tou..... do YOU have pretty hands??).  :p  :p  :D

Oh come on, Wanna.... you're getting off the hook TOO easy!!  :p

First.... break down the lifts themselves when pertaining to grip:

Holding

Supporting

Crushing

Then introduce the different TYPES of tools that would train each part (this is done in the IM catalog), but we then need to have pictures of someone performing each one.  You might need someone with pretty hands (like Wannagrip) to pose for each one!!  I could give you some pics of the equipment that I have.... some other members can do the same thing.  You then piece it together!!  :p  

Now..... wasn't THAT easy?!?  :)  :D

Hey Snott,

I keep busy enough around here and was looking for people to contribute.  I would have just done it myself if I didn't need volunteers.  

Thanks Tou.

Snott, no need to volunteer though. We know where your projects end up after the initial idea.

<flushing sound>

:0

Guest Hanover84

I would be happy to help - as a "TRUE GREEN NEWBIE" I would be willing to look at a version and offer suggestions from the perspective of a novice.... I know as I have been lurking here for a couple of days I have learned some stuff like be careful around Sybersnott :)

Snott, no need to volunteer though. We know where your projects end up after the initial idea.

<flushing sound>

:0

HAH

Tou, start with the text by Scott at the link he posted.  Make a first draft from that.

Then, post it here and we can offer suggestions.

I will then try and create a document with pictures to go with the descriptions.

Once we have the basic format, we can then do other things such as erroneous form, etc.

I am sure this is not conprehensive by any means but is supposed to represent a "common" list performed by members here.  Comments? Thanks Tou for generating this.

List of common grip exercises

Crush

1. Grippers

Singles

Strap holds

Time holds

Negatives

Inverted close

Overcrush

2. Grip machine

Negatives (mostly)

Anything you can do with a gripper less the strap holds and inverted close.

Pinch

Plates pinching

Block pinching (different width)

Hub pinching

Blob pinching (block weights)

Titan Telegraph Key

Rafters pinching

Support

Thick bar deadlift (1 or 2 hands)

Rolling Thunder

Vertical bar lift (1 or 2).

Partial deadlift

Inch dumbell or Inch handle lifting

Fingers

Eagle loops

Outer limit loops

Wrists / forearms

Wrist curl (regular or table top)

Reverse wrist curl

Wrist roller

Leverage

Plate curl

Steel bending

Why not include Apollon's axle lift (over head) ?

Well this is just a newbie's suggestion  :D

But if you don't, you'll surely have a question about it some day.

It is not related to Louis Uni being French...   :p

Guest JoeQ1966

Im new to the board and I think that a FAQ page would be great..I dont know alot of what you guys are talking about at first and have to look around and for awhile to find the excercises..It would be great for a new person to have a page where they could go to see the movements..

looking forward to it.

Joe

Guest Canthar

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. One thing that might be helpful for people which probalbly has already been thought of is a general list of the various equipment used, and for the grippers the order of thier relative difficulty (when mixing IM, BB's and SOS).

Nic

Guest reid73

I think a basic general prepardness section for beginers would be a good idea also ..to help them prepare for the rigors of more advanced training.

1)overhand deadlifts  

2)reverse curls

3)wrist roller and wrist curls.

while these dont hit all facets of grip it is a good basic beginers system especially if thickbars are being used on the reverse curls.

James

Guest baldy

Jim Wylie's webpage has a lot of great information along the lines of what we are looking for. His descriptions of the lifts are very thorough and most have a picture to accompany the description.