Double-stamped Ironmind Grippers

Mjoynt

I know this topic has been discussed before but I was wondering if everyone's double-stamped grippers were stronger than their single-stamped ones.  My double-stamped #1 is almost as tough as my single-stamped #2!

Why did Ironmind do this?  To slow down the # of CoC's?

Matt

Guest omniexist

I have a double-stamped #2 and it is very tuff. I can do 50 singels with my BBM in about 15 min. I can do about 10 singels with my #2 in the same time. :hehe

Guest StrongerthanArne

Arne Persson and I got a batch of double-stamped 1, 2 and 3's. The No 1's felt very similar to single-stamped #1's. The double stamped #2's were much harder than any single-stamped #2 we had tried. The double-stamped #3's were all harder than any single-stamped ones we had tested. The double-stamped #2's and #3's had handles wide apart and the spring deeply set into the handles compared to the single-stamped grippers. I like the new #2 but have to admit that PDA's grippers with their narrow handles are easier to set and less likely to move around under load.

How do the new double-stamped #3s compare to the old-school silver crush ones or like the one that Richard S got certified on?

Remember, you are talking close to BB Elite with the Silver Crush gripper I have.  The double stamped 3 I have is weaker. No doubts.

The double stamped 2's are not harder than my 98' #2. If you compare them to 00', or 01' 2's I would say in general, yes.

Most people can't handle the BB Elite width (the silver ones) nor could they handle very well the width of the Silver Crush I have. So, bottom line, the COC list would be a LOT shorter IMO than it is today.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Wannagrip,

You wrote: The double stamped 2's are not harder than my 98' #2.

My guess is that you have not had access to sample of double-stamped #2's large enough to form a solid basis for your statement. The new double-stamped #2's cannot be treated as a homogeneous sample. They differ in difficulty from each other as do 98' #2's I would guess. You make it sound as if you have tested every double-stamped #2 that has ever been sold. I know for sure that you have not tested mine.

You are right, I should have said MY 2's.

Then again, this whole thread is a MOOT point then.

NO ONE can say the double stamped are harder than any other particular gripper.

You can't have it both ways to suit you your position at the point in time you make an argument.

Guest Jeff Roark

All I know is that Richard Sorins Silver Crush#3 made my #3 feel like a #2, and Heath said my #3 is probably the second hardest he has tried next to 3Crushers. Boy I sure would like to have a set of Silver Crush grippers just to look at.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Wannagrip,

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have been discussing grippers I have personally tested. Maybe the double-stamped grippers that Arne and I got came from a batch of unusually hard grippers or perhaps are our single-stamped ones unusually weak. I will not continue arguing with you on this most interesting subject.

I don't think that any one person can make the statement that the new double stamped grippers are harder or not.  However Wannagrip is the only person I've heard about who does not whole-heartedly agree that their double stamped grippers are harder than their single stamped ones.  I know in my case, that my double stamped two is considerably harder than my BBM which is considerably harder than my 98 #2.  Given the combined comments/observations of the members on this board, I think it is safe to say that if you buy a double stamped ironmind gripper today, you have a 90% chance or better of getting a tougher gripper than your eqivalent single stamped gripper of yester-year.

On a related question, has anyone on this board closed the new double stamped #3?

It seems I remember a while back someone here asked

Strossen is double-stamped grippers were more difficult

to close, and he responded that they were not. Anybody

else recall that post?

Anyway, it may be as simple as on some occasions a

shortage of unstamped handles prompted the use of a stamped handle on each side.

The difficulty is in the spring, not the handle, and the

quality-control of the grippers is wide ranging (apparently).

Beyond his own efforts to publicize the grippers, I suspect

that no organized effort matches that of the grip board to

further his sales, even if inadvertently. Yet has anyone ever

seen the words grip page or grip board in MILO? - That's a

real question, not a rhetorical one, and it comes from

ignorance not from sarcasm. I'd really like to know and I do

not have the time to search old issues for the answer.

Anyone? If so, chapter and verse please.

Roark,

I vaguely remember the post, but I'm not sure when it was.  As far as Strossen denying the increased difficulty of the grippers, I don't think he'd admit to making them harder to stop the rapid increase of CoC's around the world if that were truly the case, but I could be wrong about that.  As far as the reason for the grippers being double stamped, he said that it was to make it easier to get a picture when certifying.

As far as him mentioning the gripboard anywhere, the closest I remember is in his FAQ, in which he refers to comments from people reading on the internet about "a guy who closed a gripper way harder than the #4".  This paragraph proceeded to discredit Richard Sorin's claims about past crushing feats, but the phrases gripboard or GripPage did not appear.

I was just making a point.

For all we know, the "hardness" of the grippers has already changed!

Or will change next month...

Or the month after that...

You get the point.

You can't put a claim on a certain double stamped gripper when we have NO idea whether it was just a batch for 6 months of sales, a whole year, or whatever.

That was my point.

The longer he puts out the double stamped grippers the more the waters get muddy.  Next year they may be easier!

We get no credit anywhere for this board turning out COC's left and right.  Nor credit for boosting the popularity of the grippers overall.

That's ok. :)

We are just a group of guys and gals exchanging great training info! :)

For whatever reason that Strossen chooses to ignore us and ignore this forum.... I can't tell you.

Double stamped grippers .vs other grippers.... ah, we have been down this road before, now haven't we?  We also got into a nasty fight about it concerning Strossen.

..... And yet the great debate continues (for some).....

Guest mikebyoung

Just my two cents...

...My friend and I bought our COC#1s at the same time. Mine were single stamped,his were double. We tried many blind closings over and over and couldnt tell the two apart. Even now,as we are now closing the #2, we cant tell.

We wrote Strossen and in a quick response he denied that the stamps meant anything.

I just wanted to know why the different stamps then? To create this controversy and sell more grippers?

IMHO, I think it just makes more sense, especially on the harder grippers.  If you have a stamp on both handles a picture is much easier.  But that's just my 2 pennies.......

Guest StrongerthanArne

Mikebyoung,

It is not so much of a controversy as it is stating some simple facts. Like yourself I found no difference between single-stamped #1's and double-stamped #1's, whereas there was a huge difference between the double stamped #2's and single-stamped ones, that we had access to. The easiest of the four double stamped #2's was still considerably harder than the hardest single-stamped #2 (out of four). The difference between the hardest double stamped #2 and the easiest single stamped #2 was ridiculously large. One rep with the former equalled ten with the latter. I can't speak for anyone elses grippers, only those that I have tried.

I'm not sure if any of you guys have tried a new #3, but I bought one last October and it is much harder then the one I bought in 2000.  If any of you would like to give it a try drop me a line and I'll send it to you.

I really know nothing about double-stamped grippers so I'll stay out of that debate.  But as long as we are talking about varying hardnesses of grippers with the same number on em, I thought I would throw an idea out there.  Doesnt it say something about IM's quality control when their #1 product isnt even consistent in its hardness from gripper to gripper?  I mean I see all these post talking about how hard this #3 is, compared to how hard this #3 is, and "hey can i borrow your #4? I need the narrower handles"  and all it says it that their products arent handled very well, and that maybe they are just taking the fact that you guys will keep buying their grippers for granted so they dont bother improving them and making them consistent in strength.  Not that im saying IM is a bad company, so please prove me wrong.

Part of it is you get what you pay for. $20 is pretty cheap. Don't get me wrong, I'm completely satisfied with my COC grippers.

If you want strict quality control and measuring, it is going to cost more. Take the PDA grippers, $40 and they still felt it wasn't enough money to be worthwhile.

BTW, I have 2 single stamped #2's with differences about as large as StrongerthanArne's. My buddy can easily close one of my #2's, and the other he can barely get to a half inch.

Hey fellas, I may be way out with this but here's it is. Went to the only store in Sydney, probably the whole of Australia that sells Milo and Ironmind stuff to pick up the latest Milo. It's a martial arts store and they are not all that cluey on the grip stuff. Well, I went to purchase my Milo and the assistant told me that they were not going to be selling Ironmind gear anymore and asked if I wanted to order anything from them before they change owners. I saw a #2 and #3 sitting there and though that since I've modified my #2 I'll get another and buy another #3 to add to my other two. I sat there and grabbed them and low and behold they were double stamped! Firstly just let me say that they are both way harder than any #2's and #3's that I have tried. From my observations a big difference. Anyway, now the interesting part.

We started chatting about the grippers. The assistant is a nice enough guy but has sketchy knowledge about the grippers at best. Well, he said that some guy from Vince's Gym complained about the inconsistency and variation of the grippers. So he rang Ironmind and told them about the complaint. Their response was that they'll send them double stamped grippers which are more consistent and are machine made and not hand made like the previous ones. I suppose you can draw from this what you will and the question remains who is making the machine made grippers for Ironmind if that is indeed the case?

Anyway, just thought I'd share this with you guys and sorry about the long post!

Arthur

Guest StrongerthanArne

Arthur,

That is very much in line with my own observations, that the #2 and #3 are much (#2) or considerably (#3) harder than the older ones and that the quality is better (IronMind are now, without any doubt, producing the best quality grippers). Joakim Palmqvist had a go at a new double stamped #3, which was unseasoned. It was a little bit harder than my seasoned PDA 437 ip, which is much harder than my own 396 ip #3. If you can just close my #3 you would have about 1/4 left on the 437. However, the difference between the #2's was even greater. An average single stamped #2 feels like a trainer in comparison to my new double stamped #2. The new #2 is a perfect training tool for bridging the gap between the old #2 and #3. Thank you IronMind for producing, perhaps inadvertently, harder #2's.

The vintage SilverCrush #2 makes todays #2 feel like 1 by comparison.

As I said, the COC list would be a LOT shorter right now if they were still making the grippers as they did back then.