Beginner

BenButty

Hey, my name is benjamin.

I enjoy working out grip strength but have ran into a little problem.

I closed the beginner (trainer) 26 times with my right and 22 with my left.

Then i went onto lvl 1, i have closed it about 12 times before with my right and about 9 with my left

lately it has seemed alot harder to close, barely crushing it 6 times. I was wondering if its possible that i could have dropped, or somehow broken the gripper? Or maybe i have over-trained my grip and it needs some rest.

Furthermore i was wondering if there is a correlation (sorry about spelling) between pinch grip and crushing grip. I just started pinch grip, i made a block. and i pinched a 35 for 17 seconds with my right and 12 with my left. Will bringing my pinch grip up alot, bring up my crushing grip? My pinch grip is a a piece of 2x4 with a little hole in the middle. Then i took a rope and made a loop on either side. Then i found a key-chain, type rock climbing clip. I then proceded to put the rope thought the hole, through the 35 and clipped them end together.

Is that a good idea? I then made a crushing grip piece of equipement, with the same general materials. I found a 2x4 with a hole on either end of it. Then i found a u-shaped bike lock and shoved it through the hole. On the other end/hole i used the same set-up as i did for the pinch grip. The idea is to told onto the bike lock, since your hand are placed in a hammer type grip (palms facing eachother). Is this a good idea?

Furthermore i was wondering what a basic crushing routine/basic pinch grip routine looks like.

I was alternating pinch grip and crushing grip every 2-3 days. But what would a gripper oriented routine look like, sets and reps wise.

Lastly, when does one reccommend i puchase the captian of crush level 2? Once i can do so much reps with the trainer and lvl 1 , or pinch so much.

Thank you for helping me, and i look forward to learning alot from this forum.

Sincerly Benjamin B.

Benjamin,

First of all, welcome to the GripBoard! Secondly, why are you posting this question here in the Grip FAQ??

And to answer your question - YES I think you might be overtraining. IMO, you're doing too many reps on the grippers and not enough timed holds or negatives.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the board.you sound like a creative and innovative fella which is good. as Sybersnott said sounds like you are over training and not having time to recover which is why your reps are going down.as for routines you can find some under the search function as there are so many.wide pinch enhances gripper strength as it helps with the sweep which is the beginning of the close of theGripper.

your topic probably will be moved to the Gripboard Forum.your thinking was correct as you had a ? and posted it in FAQ.no biggie.you can read a description of that forum at that forum.

Edited by RICHIEC.

hi benjamin WELCOME to the gripboard :),

yes i think u are overtraining. take some rest and then come back.

YES u should get the 2 also the 3 (maybe even the 4)

i would also recommend wrist work. if u have a dumbell do wrist curls and reverse wrist curls with it. (reserve no thumbs under!) also do the grippers inverted. (spring down)

if u are creative make/buy a wrist roller!! the best allround grip exercise in my opinion . I would take 2 inch in diameter.

Edited by tukkergrip