If you only did 2 lifts what would they be?

Guest scott essery

191 members have voted

1. 1. If you only did 2 lifts what would they be?

• Thick bar (inc. Rolling Thunder) + A Pinch Lift
    • Thick Bar + Wrist Move
    • Thick Bar + Gripper
    • Thick bar + Partial (includes vbar, 1 hand lift etc)
    • A Pinch Lift + Wrist Move
    • A Pinch Lift + Gripper
    • A Pinch Lift + Partial
    • Other (please state)

Guest 115-1005574997

A bit general so please feel free to post comments but if you were limited to just 2 lifts for the whole of your career what would they be (weather you find them most rewarding, enjoyable or just most productive).

• 2 weeks later...

Thick bar deadlifting, and the grippers.

Guest Jay Ansuini

I am torn between the following:

1.) One handed thick handled dumbell deadlifts + grippers

or

2.) One handed pinch lifts + grippers

I personally like the one handed dumbell and pinch lifts better because I can really feel it in my hands and forearms the next day, for some reason I just don't get that as much with two handed lifts.

Well, Jay Ansuini, back from the dead!

I'm going to vote wide pinch gripping and the wrist roller.  

It seems to me that pinching has a HUGE carryover to just about everything but grippers.  When my pinching was at it's strongest, it felt like I was strong at every lift, even if I had never tried it before.  

The wrist roller is a pretty good lift for wrist strength, maybe not as good as plate curls, but good.  But, it's also the easiest way to keep the muscles in your hands and forearms "balanced."   I've never had any kind of pain of problems with my hands as long as I used the wrist roller regularly.

IMO the most well balanced choice would be Thick Bar + Wrist Move.  I feel wrist strength is just as important as hand strength and the only other choice up there that mentions a wrist move is pinch grip.  As far as developing hand strength I think thick bar lifts are better then pinch grip.

Personally, I think that pinching is better than thick-bar lifting for overall hand strength.  In my opinion there is a better carry over from pinching to thick bars than vice versa.

Has anyone else here worked pinching hard and noticed a carry over to thick handles?

Clayton

I think it depends on the thickness of what you're pinching and thick bar lifting.  If you are pinching on standard size plates, do you think your fingers get as much work as on a thick bar?  I think they might if you are doing wide pinches.  Just want to know your opinion.

I'm beginning to think that pinching on wide surfaces(4 inches) may be the best thing you can do for your grip.  

I did most of my pinching on standard plates.  Together, they were about 2.5 inches thick.  When the weights got heavy, I was definetly working my fingers, especially when I would pass or toss the plates from hand to hand.

In feb. when I was at my strongest pinching was able to pull pretty decent weights on the Rolling Thunder, even though I had never used it.  Before that I was able to work up to 172 on a loadable Inch handle in a few weeks.  I believe this was because of the base I built from pinching.

I'm just not sure if there is a big carry-over the other way, from thick handles to pinching.  I know there are people here you hoist big numbers on thick dumbells.  What do your pinches look like?  How do you guys feel they interact?

• 3 months later...
Guest Mikael Siversson

I believe there is little carry over. The first time I tried the Rolling Thunder (a year ago) I was fairly good at pinching. I only managed 61 kg lefty and 65 kg righty on the RT. Since then my pinch has gone up a moderate 12-13 per cent. Meanwhile I worked very hard on the RT and it has gone up to 88 kg (+35 per cent) righty and 84 kg lefty (+38 per cent). My friend Arne has always been quite good at thick bar stuff but, sorry Arne, not so good at pinching. Both Arne and I have found it much easier to gain strength on the RT than on pinching or crushing.

Thick handle, one-handed dead lifts and sledge leveraging for sure.  What more does a body need?  "Give me a sledge and a thick handled bar, and I'll be a happy man".

Solan,

YOU ARE BACK!!  We were wondering what ever happened to you!!  :D  So you were hiding behind the eight ball, I see!!  :)

Guest DavidHW

Regular deadlifts and one-handed deadlifts.

Why?

Because as we age, it seems to me most people injure themselves (in particular, their backs) from (a) picking things up, either around the house or working in the yard, or (b) from losing their balance as they age and falling. By making sure everyday motions are backed up by significant muscular support, I imagine I'd be able to reduce my chances of ending up in a senior living facility with a busted back or a broken hip.

For the long-term, working with limited time, you've got to go with functional strength, IMHO.

David

• 1 year later...

Looks like this poll was around before we all caught the bending bug!