All-sport Grip

Gripasaurus

Hi everybody, I just started really training my grip recently becuase im told it would help my wrestling. Yesterday I finally closed the trainer and am planning on getting a sport to train with. For the past month and a half I have been working out in the weight room at my school four days a week but very little of that has been grip. In order to train my grip I have been using a wrist roller with a ten pound plate on it. If you have any ideas on how else I could train my grip please let me know. Thank you.

Rope climbing is great for wrestling. Two birds with one stone. How old are ya man? What kind of exercise do you do?

Rope climbing is great for wrestling. Two birds with one stone. How old are ya man? What kind of exercise do you do?

Thanks I'll set up a rope station. I am 14 years old at 120 pounds. My workout routine is:

MONDAY: Flat bench

Incline bench

Military press (overhead press)

Dips

Pull-ups

TUESDAY: Leg press

Legs curls

Squats

Lunges (weighted)

Lateral lunges (weighted)

WEDNESDAY: D.B. Flat bench

D.B. Incline bench

D.B. Military press (overhead press)

Dips

Pull-ups

THURSDAY: Leg press

Legs curls

Squats

Lunges (weighted, overhead)

Lateral lunges (weighted, overhead)

FRIDAY: off

SATURDAY: Sit-ups

Push-ups

Bike

SUNDAY: off

Monday through Thursady is all with the football team at my school.

Thanks I'll set up a rope station. I am 14 years old at 120 pounds. My workout routine is:

MONDAY: Flat bench

Incline bench

Military press (overhead press)

Dips

Pull-ups

TUESDAY: Leg press

Legs curls

Squats

Lunges (weighted)

Lateral lunges (weighted)

WEDNESDAY: D.B. Flat bench

D.B. Incline bench

D.B. Military press (overhead press)

Dips

Pull-ups

THURSDAY: Leg press

Legs curls

Squats

Lunges (weighted, overhead)

Lateral lunges (weighted, overhead)

FRIDAY: off

SATURDAY: Sit-ups

Push-ups

Bike

SUNDAY: off

Monday through Thursady is all with the football team at my school.

While I don't see the purpose of doing flat, incline, military presses and dips all in the same workout, at least all of those are quality exercises. Since you are a wrestler, I might make a few suggestions. You probably don't have the options to, since you are training with the football team, but I'd suggest training only two of those presses, probably incline or military presses and dips.

Put more emphasis on pulling though, which is why I suggested the rope climbing. Lots of rope climbing, especially when you get to where you can climb w/out legs, will strengthen your grip and pulling muscles. Until you set up that rope climbing station, I'd suggest doing pullups on Saturday too.

Lunges are great for wrestling, I think they're better than squats. Not that squats are bad, I'd just focus more on the lunges. You are always lunging at your opponent, to shoot for a takedown or catch a limb.

Lifting things by pinching them is good too. Try pinching three 10 pound plates and lifting them with one hand, or two 35 pound plates with two hands. You can always find ways to add weight as you get stronger, and can use more plates to work on wider pinch grips.

While I don't see the purpose of doing flat, incline, military presses and dips all in the same workout, at least all of those are quality exercises. Since you are a wrestler, I might make a few suggestions. You probably don't have the options to, since you are training with the football team, but I'd suggest training only two of those presses, probably incline or military presses and dips.

Put more emphasis on pulling though, which is why I suggested the rope climbing. Lots of rope climbing, especially when you get to where you can climb w/out legs, will strengthen your grip and pulling muscles. Until you set up that rope climbing station, I'd suggest doing pullups on Saturday too.

Lunges are great for wrestling, I think they're better than squats. Not that squats are bad, I'd just focus more on the lunges. You are always lunging at your opponent, to shoot for a takedown or catch a limb.

Lifting things by pinching them is good too. Try pinching three 10 pound plates and lifting them with one hand, or two 35 pound plates with two hands. You can always find ways to add weight as you get stronger, and can use more plates to work on wider pinch grips.

ok that sounds good thankz. Would the flat bench, military and squat be a good combo too?

ok that sounds good thankz. Would the flat bench, military and squat be a good combo too?

Personally, I'd think you oughtta do incline's, you'll still be good at flat bench, but your shoulders will be a lot stonger too.

Ok thanks for the advice I will talk to my coach and see if my routine can change just a little bit.