Shoes To Wear While Deadlifting

Hubgeezer

I have worn beaten flattened generic casual New Balance shoes for years when working out.

I bought a new pair of Reeboks, and although they were not "running shoes", the heel and shape of the sole causes a forward rolling motion for my whole body when I do deadlifts.

I went back to my old tennies, just for working out.

I don't see shoes discussed on this board, much, if ever. Does anyone wish to share what they wear on their feet working out in general, and for something as critical as deadlifts, squats, etc?

Thanks.

Hubgeezer

I wear...

Work Boots- For Pressing, oly pulls, high-bar squats or front squats. I feel most stable in them.

Running shoes- For sandbag stuff, stuff where I run or jog (duh), most things really.

I deadlift either in my running shoes or wrestling shoes, usually just running shoes. Occasionally in socks.

An old pair of beaten down New Balance running shoes for the gym, and I've drifted toward heavy old black motorcycle boots for a lot of the strongman stuff. They support my ankles and feet, and I don't spend sp much time limping around (I have terrible arthritis and a collapsing ankle joint). Not much fancy in my wardrobe anyway.

John Scribner

bare feet or converse ct

i feel more balanced and stuck to the ground when dont use shoes

it funny because i soon as i get home i take off my shoe and stay barefoot

all day unless i got to go somewhere

Normally barefeeted, sometimes running shoes.

I would get chuck taylors. I am going to get some eventually, but until then I just workout in flip-flops.

I use my Adidas Olympic lifting shoes for all Oly stuff and front squats etc - Chucks or barefoot for dead lifts, box squats - and barefoot for the rest.

I wear deadlift slippers (Crains) during most of my training.

Pends on form and how u pull and stuff....

I use asic wrestling shoes for pulling sumo cause they nice and flat and real sticky, plus I got em real cheap! lol.

For conventional I use soccer shoes cause they are tilted forwards a bit, and that keeps me from going up on my toes when i pull.

Chuck Taylor's or Converse. I used to just use regular tennis running shoes, but when I decided to focus on actually getting stronger at DL & Squat, I had to admit flat soles are the only way to go.

Chuck Taylers

I wear Adidas Adistar Olympic Lifting shoes for squatting, and most other gym stuff.

I wear $7 Speedo Aquasox for deadlifting. Better traction than socks.

I've always wanted to get those Otomix shoes... the kind that bodybuilders wear, they look real nice but as to their function in using them for lifting - who knows?

Adidas samba classics aren't bad lifting shoes. I usually wear those to the gym. At home indoors usually bare foot.

In practice it doesnt matter....but if u want every possible advantage...then pulling in the flattest shoes is optimal....wrestling shoes are great as are some casual shoes....chuck taylors are good but they still got a fairly thick sole.....every inch counts when u are pulling a large amount of weight......

But you aren't aloud to lift without shoes during a competition, so wrestling shoes or the gay things I have are perfect, almost the same as bare foot.

I wear Adidas Adistar Olympic Lifting shoes for squatting, and most other gym stuff.

I wear $7 Speedo Aquasox for deadlifting. Better traction than socks.

I wear a Speedo also. A Speedo and and Chuck Taylers, that's what I wear.

Wrestling shoes for all my training. Thin, flat sole is the best.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that using running shoes (i.e., heel elevation) in the past during squats, etc. significantly contributed to the chronic knee problems I have now.

I wear chucks for day to day deadlift and strongman training but agree that for max efforts you want the thinnest flattest shoes possible and therefore i have a pair of really silly looking pilates shoes which are basically a mesh sock with a thin rubber sole.

For Olympic lifting I have a pair of adidas adistar shoes and wouldn't wear anything else for squats, cleans and snatches.

I rarely wear running shoes and feel that for heavy lifting they are a bad idea. I've seen lots of people get the wobbles and both squats and stuff wearing thick spongy shoes