Blob Vs Thick Bar Question

bentpresser

If I am already doing thick bar work on a 3.5" handle, what would (loadable) blob training add? My goal is not to lift the blob, at least right now. Thanks.

Well then you have succeeded in your goal!

But seriously, blobs are like block weights and unless your hand fits less than half way round your thick bar then it will add a different stimulus to your training and trigger new strength in specific muscles.

Edited by bunchofbananas

If I am already doing thick bar work on a 3.5" handle, what would (loadable) blob training add? My goal is not to lift the blob, at least right now. Thanks.

Are you working with a 3.5 or 2.5 inch bar?

3.5"

A blob would require a different demand on the hand, you're right. The shape is different, not to mention it's wider.

One of the benefits I find with Block weights is the "toss" from hand to hand. Something hard to duplicate with a fat bar. That quick hard overload from tossing seems to make a big difference.

With the thickbar a lot of fingers is still involved, with the blobs there are still fingers involved but much more thumb.

Edited by pdoire

Great points, thanks!

With the thickbar a lot of fingers is still involved, with the blobs there are still fingers involved but much more thumb.

Not necessary. I feel that the fingers are the limit too whilie lifting blobs. It depends on your technique. To say Pinch=thumb is not correct. If you try to curl the object much fingertip strength play a role, also the wrists.

Not necessary. I feel that the fingers are the limit too whilie lifting blobs. It depends on your technique. To say Pinch=thumb is not correct. If you try to curl the object much fingertip strength play a role, also the wrists.

I did not think he was talking about curling blobs..just deadlifting them, which is more thumb dependent but not entirely thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Are your hands really BIG or something?? A 3.5" bar... that's huge! :ohmy What kinda weight are you using with that bad boy?? :)