Grip strength and the law

Rick Walker

Heres my situation:

I left home this a.m. at 7:45 as I do every morning for my 9 a.m. class.  About 20 minutes away from my house, and on a main highway, some idiot pulled right out in front of me.  I mean-RIGHT out in front of me.  I was doing 60 or so and I had to #### near lock em' up to keep from going right through this guy!  So, or course, my reaction was to blow the horn.

Next thing I know, this guy is slamming on his brakes, waving his hands, and motioning me to pull over.  To me, in this day and age, calling anyone out on the highway is just plain stupid.  Road rage is a scary thing and many people are packing heat-but I was pi$$ed by now, so I pulled in behind him into the parking lot of a closed hot dog place.  

I got out of my car and he confronted me-swearing and screaming.  I tried to talk nicely to him, explaining that he was in the wrong-I almost smashed into him, etc.

What happened next is kinda blury.  He moved towards me-I dont know if he was just "getting in my face" or reaching to hit me, or grab me or what, but the next thing I knew, my right hand was around his throat and my left was around his forearm and he was against the car.

When I realized what was going on, I let go of his throat and grabbed his jacket, but I kept my grasp on his arm.  I explained to him again that he was in the wrong and it would probably be best if we both just got into our cars and left.  I then let go of him and stepped back.  He ended the "conversation" with, "Yeah, we'll see" then took off.

I sat in the car, trying to get my heart rate down and I started thinking.  I had ahold of his throat for maybe 2-3 seconds?  There probably wasnt any noticable marks.  But, I latched on to his arm for a good 30+ seconds and I mean LATCHED.  I am no grip legend, but I am sure there are some incriminating marks.

There was a elementary school right across the road-but I am not sure if anyone witnessed it.  The guy doesnt know me and he was in front of me, so he couldnt have gotten my license plate number.

I was class today waiting for the Stateys to show up and cuff me.

My question is-if you train grip, are your hands considered a weapon?  I know people who are trainined in  the martial arts can be tried for assualt with deadly weapons-but what about grip?

I guess i can wait a few days and see if the police show up.  My step-brother is a Statey stationed here in Punxsy, so I can call him and have him see if any complaints came in.

So who is in the wrong??

Sorry-but I am worked up still :crazy !

Rick Walker :hehe

Rick,

I know of at least one officer on the board- I'll see

if he is home- he's been working a lot of extra

airport patrol these days in addition to his usual

city patrols.

Don't know who's right, but I know the other fellow

probably thought he was in the WRONG place with

your hand around his apple.

I suspect if your strength levels were mentioned in

court, you most certainly would not be considered

in the normal range of strength, and that may not

bode well for you. So go gentle into that good night.

Thanks Roark-let me know what you hear.  So far it has been quiet-no calls and no visits from the fuzz.  

Rick,

In situations of Roadrage, when a fight breaks out, I believe that the person who gets out of the car first is considered at fault.  My girlfriend is a lawyer, I'll ask her, she may know better than me.

Guest Reverend

Rick--

Roark gave me a call and asked me to give you a little input on this.  I'm an eighteen-year police veteran so I can probably help you out some.

As you already realized, getting out of your car to confront this guy was not a good idea.  A lot of people these days confuse covering your @$$ with cowardice.  Had you just kept on driving and stayed away from the guy, even going so far as to pull off on another exit for a minute just to put some distance between you and him would have been a good idea.  You can weigh the matter for yourself.... would you rather have done that, or worry about hearing from guys like me just because this mope had an attitude?  Personally, I'd go to the minimal effort to avoid him rather than have another, possibly bigger headache to deal with later.

Should you in fact end up speaking with the cops, tell the truth.  From what you said in your post, he was coming at you, so being able to articulate his movements would be to your advantage.  It would also be to your advantage, if questioned, to be able to truthfully say that you felt threatened with physical violence and acted in a reasonable manner to merely restrain the subject so as to protect yourself from his aggression, which sounds to me like what in fact happened.

Now, about the grip strength.  I can't see it coming into question unless you were, say, widely known as a grip strength champion.  I can tell you, most of the public is completely unaware of the concept that the grip can even BE trained, beyond those junky little grippers you can buy at Wal-Mart.  Using the martial arts analogy, if I assault Jet Li, and he uses a REASONABLE amount of force NECESSARY to stop my aggression, he's good as gold.  That might mean a punch in the gut or a strike to a nerve center.  If that doesn't stop me and I keep coming, it would then mean another technique with more force.  If he instantly delivers a side kick to my throat, crushing my Adam's Apple into my windpipe which results in my demise, then it might be considered that he used too much force, more than was reasonable for that situation, considering that he could have probably stopped me by means of a non-lethal technique.  Now... same scenario... but I've got a knife.  Now he's probably okay, because he can claim that he was in fear for his life, and he had to stop me decisively and instantly in order to safeguard his own life.

As to your own strength:  had you crushed the guy's neck like a dishrag, that might be some cause for concern.  Even if you left some marks on the guy's arm (and you'd have to be mighty powerful to do that through a jacket), if you were just restraining him so as to keep him from doing you harm, I can't see where you'd have a problem.  Like I said before, VERY few people are even aware that guys with capabilities like Richard Sorin and John Brookfield even exist (and most of THEM are probably on this board), so the actual capability of your grip strength, I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty, would never be brought up.  If it was me handling this call, probably the most I'd do is write a report which would go into a file and give both of you the old "you-oughtta-know-better" speech.

Just remember, though, if you DO end up talking to a cop and shaking his hand, don't mash it into dust.

Guest Reverend

RiotGrip--

Unless the law is REAL different where you're at, getting out of the car first is not proof of fault.  It might be proof that you didn't help the situation on account of furthering it by getting out of your car, but it's not proof of fault.

Sorry dude!  If I would have known it was a fellow grip board member-I would have exchanged war stories and invited you over for a quick workout!

Seriously, I havent heard anything as of yet so so far so good.  The part that worries me was he was kinda dirty and his car was pretty ragged.  I dont drive a BMW or anything, but I keep my car clean and looking good, and I was wearing half decent clothes.  I can just smell a lawsuit!

My brother said there were no complaints at the barracks as far as he knows-so maybe the guy tucked his tail and ran.  I know I would be pretty embarassed if I called someone out and they man handled me like a litle b*tch.

I think all is clear-unless tomorrow there are cops out looking for bald dudes in white Eagle Talons :0 !

Rick,

Man... it's a dangerous world out there!  Be careful, and don't put yourself into harm's way.  It just ain't worth it.

I'm thinking the guy felt how strong you are, and backed off.  You might of caught a bit of luck; he might of been armed and used a weapon on you.  Luckily that didn't happen.

You also coulda snapped that guy's neck like a chicken!!   :crazy

When I was in driving school I was told never to apologize after an accident because it's aan automatic admission of guilt, no matter who was in the wrong. I don't know if that matters here or what. Don't some martial artists have to register their hands or is that just something the kids said back in high school?

Do you realize Rick your opening question/statement was a signed confession of sorts for the entire cyber world to see...........?

I dont think I was confessing anything-I think that I explained the situation as I would if a cop did happen to arrive.  And, I figured if anyone knew anything about grip strength and the law-it would be someone from this board!

I am guessing that this clown doesnt have a computer or even the internet and if he did, he certainly would have no idea about the grippage.  Since none of you are from the hills of punxsy, and I have never seen this guy before-I can venture to guess that no one else here knows him either.

I didnt hear anything and I am thinking he let it go.  What will be strange is if I happen to "run into him" again-

Twenty years ago, he would have found a different route to drive to work.  In today's world, he may be waiting for his 7-day permit.  Please keep your eyes open.

Alan

Just to clear it up, there is really no such thing as registering your hands as lethal weapons.  The idea itself is a carry over from feudal Japan to WWII.  The explanation using  Jet Li is about right.  By the way Rick, I'm from Clearfield, Howdy Neighbor.

Dave Yoder

Well Rick, at least one good thing has come out of your encounter - RobbyTooSlobby now has a career as "The Human Giraffe" in the Circus!

RobbyTooSlobby, just let me know if you're interested and I can hook ya up! You can perform next to the Strongman!

Guest RobbyTooSlobby

Thanks for the offer Strongman...but i may start doing serious strength exercises for my neck and start my own web site "the NECK Page."  Although people may mistake the title for something other than neck strengthening.

Thanks for the offer Strongman...but i may start doing serious strength exercises for my neck and start my own web site "the NECK Page."  Although people may mistake the title for something other than neck strengthening. jump.gif

Can you quit continually cross-posting smilies from other sites. Thanks.

And also tell Nathan Say to stop changing his avatar!!  It's confusing me.

Guest Reverend
The part that worries me was he was kinda dirty and his car was pretty ragged.  I dont drive a BMW or anything, but I keep my car clean and looking good, and I was wearing half decent clothes.  I can just smell a lawsuit!

Don't fret.  If he was dirty and his car was ragged, he ain't got the cash for a lawsuit.  ####, I've had cases like this where the complainant turned out to be wanted!

Sounds to me like it's over.  Take it as a lesson learned, and next time make sure you're squeaky clean.... i.e. don't give anyone a chance to say you didn't at least TRY to avoid the conflict.