My Log Mk2

Davesbeard

Didn't workout yesterday for various reasons but i did what i should have done today instead.

Semi-One armer pullups

4 reps each side

Tried the Lock offs again today, i held it for about a second today!! Still a long way to go obviously but a big improvement!

5 reps each side

5 reps each side

4 reps each side

One more workout doing these and i'll have reached the 4*5 reps each side target and it'll be time to take a finger off. Though thanks to grip training i may still manage 5. We'll see.

Also did 90 crunches and 30 oblique twists each side. Still going up :mosher

I should have done some reps today but i saw myself in the mirror yesterday and i looked really unbalanced. Big lats and no chest/delts. So i did some other BW stuff today.

Handstand pushups -

1 rep

2 reps

Now, i planned on doing 2 reps then 1 rep and following the rep pattern i've being using for semi-one armers. However, as i got out of the handstand position i felt a twinge and my left trap (if there is such a thing) has been hurting ever since. Damn. Still, it felt like a good exercise and hopefully i should improve as quickly in these as i have been in semi-one armers.

One- arm pushup -

Tried one. Failed.

Again, following in a certain way the semi-one armer model i did pushups with one arm central and the other arm out wide. Doing sets on both sides.

5 reps (both sides for each set)

5 reps

5 reps

5 reps

One-legged BW squat -

3 reps (each leg for all sets)

3 reps

3 reps

3 reps

I'm going to try and do these twice a week like with the semi one armers and see how i go.

Hopefully this shoulder thing will clear up quickly :whacked

I'll keep my other workouts as they are.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

My shoulder/upper left back/neck is pretty screwed.

2 questions, any ideas for sorting it out? and are there any good forums for the sort of training i'm doing? It seems wrong on a gripboard. (I need to start doing some grip stuff again. I can't close my 2 any more :( )

My shoulder/upper left back/neck is pretty screwed.

2 questions, any ideas for sorting it out? and are there any good forums for the sort of training i'm doing? It seems wrong on a gripboard. (I need to start doing some grip stuff again. I can't close my 2 any more :( )

Stretch it out. It may go away during the night. Traps are often pulled if they are not used to the strain of the loads being put on them, but they get strong fast.

Finally had the opportunity to do some climbing again today (well bouldering, couldn't do any roped climbing for various reasons. A long story) Spent 3 hours just doing all sorts of routes. Nice to be climbing again. Though my hands are pretty torn up!

One of the guys who works there came in a watched us struggling to get up a long section with some extreme varying overhang. He decided to forgo his legs and just did one arm pullups all the way up on tiny little holds. He was built big as well! I'm jealous. Damn impressive though.

Shoulder still hurts, though it seems to be the muscle that supports my neck. It barely hurts when i loosen it up a bit but if i don't keep stretching it it stiffens and gets painful. I'll go get it checked out if it doesn't get any better soon.

Went bouldering again today. Had some tendom pain in my wrists from last sunday before hand so i hadn't done any pullups but i didn't feel a thing bouldering today.

Tendons in my shoulder still aren't quite right either >.< so i've not done any 1 arm pressup/handstand pushup work. I've also got a cold. Woe is me.

Bouldering was fun though, did enough to get a nice rip in my little finger. Bye bye hard earned callous.

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing alot of bouldering and climbing so i haven't done much in the way of proper workouts but today i did:

Semi-One armer pullups

5 reps each side

I was so close to holding it today! Must have stuck at about 80 degrees for a second or so.

5 reps each side

5 reps each side

5 reps each side

Shoulder is near perfect now but i'm not sure how to go about trying handstand pushups again. Don't want to re-injure myself.

Also, what exercises should i be doing on my non pullup days?

Currently thinking of one arm pushup (well, moves to work up to one) Handstand pushups and pistols. Though i can do a pistol with my arse right down by my heel yet. Should i just practise these 2 legged and jumping out of them or what??

Great to see you're still working on those one armers. Are you still doing regular pull/chinups?

Do handstand holds and pushups on your non pullup days, the one arm pushups will come as you strengthen your pushups and handstand.

As for pistols if you can go pretty far down I would say just do them as far down as you can. If you can't go very far I would say do squats (with or without weights) ,jump out of them if you want, until you build up some strength.

What was injured in your shoulder?

I've not being doing what i should have been really. Been working a lot recently and i'm always knackered each evening afterwards. I've been getting in a good 2 hours climbing followed by an hours bouldering or so a week so thats been quite good.

I can do a few unstable pistols on my left but i just go over backwards if i try with my right. I lead with my left on my bike so it must be stronger.

Going climbing again thursday and i'm probably gonna do some one arm pullup stuff friday.

Any intermediate exercises for one arm pushups?

Pretty much do lots of pushups and handstands, the one arm pushup will come after you get a solid handstand and pushups.

nice climbing workouts!

Still having a hard time finding a slot to fit in a scheduled workout plan. Any spare days i have are usually only 1 or 2 in a row so i use them for climbing.

Went climbing yesterday but did 3 routes and didn't fancy doing any more. So we went bouldering as usual but for much longer. We met a guy in there who's been bouldering for 2 years or so and he asked us for a game of Add-one. Basically, the first guy sits down anywhere in the bouldering room. Chooses 2 starting holds and then one further hold. The next guy uses the first 3 holds and then adds his own. This keeps going adding a hold at a time until the route just gets too long or until no one can do it any more. We ended up with some mental routes. One move required reaching across to a huge jug (deep but only room for one hand) and then lowering yourself on one arm to reach another big jug underneath the big overhanging section which the original jug was attatched to. Then, stretching to get heels onto a big sloper in order to swing back up over the lip of the overhang to grab a crimpy little hold. The route continued from there but not very interestingly. That little section was brilliant though. Took me 3 tries to get it as i was rushing it and lowering to quickly which popped my hand off the first hold. The one arm pullup stuff i'd been doing was perfect for the move and it felt great to be feeling so much stronger.

Sore today though :yikes

Still having a hard time finding a slot to fit in a scheduled workout plan. Any spare days i have are usually only 1 or 2 in a row so i use them for climbing.

Went climbing yesterday but did 3 routes and didn't fancy doing any more. So we went bouldering as usual but for much longer. We met a guy in there who's been bouldering for 2 years or so and he asked us for a game of Add-one. Basically, the first guy sits down anywhere in the bouldering room. Chooses 2 starting holds and then one further hold. The next guy uses the first 3 holds and then adds his own. This keeps going adding a hold at a time until the route just gets too long or until no one can do it any more. We ended up with some mental routes. One move required reaching across to a huge jug (deep but only room for one hand) and then lowering yourself on one arm to reach another big jug underneath the big overhanging section which the original jug was attatched to. Then, stretching to get heels onto a big sloper in order to swing back up over the lip of the overhang to grab a crimpy little hold. The route continued from there but not very interestingly. That little section was brilliant though. Took me 3 tries to get it as i was rushing it and lowering to quickly which popped my hand off the first hold. The one arm pullup stuff i'd been doing was perfect for the move and it felt great to be feeling so much stronger.

Sore today though :yikes

Sounds like fun to me, hells yea. :rock

• 2 weeks later...

Not done all that much really, just got in 1 more fairly standard climbing session and 1 workout.

Friday:

Semi-one arm pullups:

as i'd reached the 4 sets of 5 each side goal i moved up to the next step this time. I removed my little finger from the bar on whichever hand was out wide. The idea being that i progress up to 4 sets of 5 reps like this then take the next finger off the bar until i'm left with just my little finger. Hopefully, 5 reps like that should have brought me pretty close to doing a one armer. We'll see.

3 reps each side *4

Tried a static hold as usual, managed an incredibly slow negative on my left and felt much stronger, then tried it on my right and dropped pretty quick. No idea why.

Going for a pure bouldering session tomorrow, can't wait to give some of the routes in there a shot when completely fresh.

Bouldering session last week was good fun. Managed 2 of the routes i'd not been able to do before, both pretty powerful problems rather than fingery. Good feeling afterwards :D .

Meant to be going climbing today but the guy i go with managed to getting some major sunburn at a festival this weekend so he called it off. Rope burn on sunburn would be nasty :whacked .

So i used my free time as an opportunity for a workout.

Semi-one arm pull ups - 3 fingers

3 Each side

4 Each side

4 Each side

3 Each side

Tried the lock offs as usual but failed miserably, which is odd because i felt much stronger doing the movement. Oh well.

I then planned to do some Handstand pushups but whenever i kicked into position against the wall one leg would just bounce off and bring me back down again. Lol @ me. Bloody annoying though, i'll have to try tomorrow and see how i go. Got nowhere to do any dips either which is annoying. How do you lot do them at home?

I've been having trouble with overhanging problems when bouldering recently which i think is due largely to a lack of body tension. I've seen pictures of people hanging from a bar with their body horizontal. I tried it today and came suprisingly close (must have got to about 10-15 degrees from horizontal for a second or 2), any ideas for training for this/for body tension?

Did a bit of stuff just now and i plan to do some handstand pushups later on after i go into town.

My first planche/Front lever workouts. Wooooo.

Well, when it came to the planche workouts, not very woo.

I managed 5 holds in the Frog stance of about 3-5 seconds each. Pretty poor but i've gotta start somewhere!

Front lever went much better, held the Tuck for about 5-7 seconds on 5 occasions.

In both cases it was certain shoulder muscles and particuarly my triceps letting me down. Which considering that none of these have been trained in the past is not suprising. My abs and lower back felt pretty solid otherwise. Thanks to cutting loose on boulder/climbing problems these are relatively strong.

Not very strong but i'm feeling really good about these new moves. Along with my one arm pullup work and handstand pushups i feel i'm working a good range of upper body muscles. All i need is some chest work which will come when my triceps/shoulders get strong enough for 1 arm pushups. (Something that the Handstand pushups should hopefully give me)

Ok tried the Handstand Pushups and failed to get into position again largely to totally knackered triceps. Gonna have to do them on an off day from planche/lever stuff methinks. When though...?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get something done today. The guy i climb with has broken his toe due to one too many drunken wall hurdles >.< so i've not been climbing. I've been ill enough to not be bothered with training and otherwise been lazy/busy. I was working today but it wasn't very busy for about an hour so wandering round the shop bored i noticed the hanging point for fitting harnesses. This consists of a length of rope which is tied up in a loop when not being used. Perfect for some one arm pullup training! Initially i just started off doing some negatives, these went ok, was dropping a bit quick. Then i tried some lock offs. I tried one at the very top of the movement and managed to hold it for about 5 seconds! New for me if not that impressive. I then did a negative when i couldn't hold it any longer. Did 4 of these each arm and called it a day. Tried some planche stuff but couldn't even hold the frog stance today (oh dear), 1 arm pullup stuff seems to take quite alot out of all of my arms and back.

Workout schedule will be something like this:

Day1- One arm pullup work -45 minutes cardio

Day2- Planche

Day3- Handstand pushups and front lever - 45 minutes cardio

Then some climbing if i can manage it. That kinda works everything again but not as intensively.

Now that you've managed a solid lock-off, you should advance on them very quickly. It's very easy to get strong with isometrics.

Did some planche stuff today. Felt better than the first time i tried it. Much sturdier.

4*7-8 second holds Frog Stance

Er, thats it.

Be sure to lean forward far.

Did some planche stuff today. Felt better than the first time i tried it. Much sturdier.

4*7-8 second holds Frog Stance

Er, thats it.

Be sure to lean forward far.

Yeh i have been (i think) my forearms feel really stretched so i think i must be.

Good workout yesterday. Started off with some Front lever stuff, my second workout and my strength has gone through the roof!

Tuck lever:

Had a sturdier position this time and it felt like better form.

Did 4 holds, first 3 were about 10-12 seconds but my last one i managed about 15-16 seconds! Basically doubled what i'd done the week before. I see what you mean about isometrics improving quickly unseenbeat!

Handstand Pushups:

Didn't do any reps as i was testing my shoulder but did static holds then a slow negative.

First 3 15 second holds then Slow Negative and the last one 20 second hold with slow negative.

Pleased with this, i could probably have pumped out a rep or 2 each time but i think it was a good idea learning the position and the movement a bit.

All in all very pleased with the workout!

Off climbing in a bit, not sore thankfully!

1 Arm pullup stuff today.

Managed 3*9-10 second left arm and 3*7-9 second Right arm Lockoffs. No idea why my right handed so i thought that if one arm were to be stronger it would be that one. On my fourth attempt each side i managed about 2 seconds then just popped straight off, think i may have been going to near to my maximum and burnt out.

PLanche stuff tomorrow then Front lever and Handstand Pushups Friday.

Did some planche stuff last Sunday and some 1-arm pullup stuff today at work. Not very exciting workouts but i'll post what i did. Gonna do some lever stuff tomorrow if i'm not sore from the 1 arm work today.

Sunday:

Very varied times on the frog stance today, first couple of attempts a managed about 5 seconds with bad form, next try i got a good 15 seconds with solid position. Got a couple more 10 second ish holds and called it a day. Wrist joints were a bit painful as well, not bad enough to make me stop or even cause me any problems other than doing planche stuff but something to keep an eye on.

Today:

3rd lock off workout and it went interestingly.. was on the rope again today so i don't know how i'd have done on my bar, the rope can spin and my hand ends up in quite a different position so its not directly comparable. Got about 8 seconds each arm first go, next try got 10 left and about 8 right, then 8 left 8 right, last set got about 6-7 seconds left and 4-5 right. Barely an improvement on last week. Gonna do a workout on the bar on saturday before i go to uni sunday see how it goes. The rope destroys my hands though, my weight pulling down on the loop makes it get thinner and crushes my hand when i use it. Oh well, it was that or nothing.